• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advise needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all
I was wondering whether anyone could offer me some advise before I take my piggy Gizmo to the vet. I've noticed over the past few days that he is just not himself. Hes always been handled so is happy to be picked up and cuddled but this week he's began to chatter his teeth when we get him out of the cage and seems 'restless' when hes being nursed. I also noticed that he has a lump on his bum. I thought at first he may be a bit backed up so Ive been offering a variety of veg but that didnt change anything.

I had a read of a few threads on here and thought it might be impaction (something he's never suffered with before) but when I looked there doesnt seem to be anything stuck (if that makes sense) and ive watched him pooping and he doesn't seem to be in pain or anything.

Now this may or not be connected but he's lived with our other boar Percy for the past couple of months. After the initial meeting they have always got on well and we've had no problems. Yesterday however, we put them outside in the run together which was near the run with our girls in. Suddenly out of nowhere they started fighting and it was literally like two dogs fighting. My husband had to seperate them with a dustpan as they were out of control. We seperated them and let them calm down and over the course of the afternoon re-introduced them. After initally checking all was well we noticed last night that Gizmo had been scratched/bitten on the nose by Percy and his anus had a little dry blood on it. I don't think that percy had done this it looks more like hes been constipated and tried to force out some poop and its caused a mini tear.

I'm not sure what to do. Should I take him to the vet or leave him a bit? I know that this might be a bit gross but I could post a pic later showing the lump if that helps. Do you think he isnt getting on with Percy due to being unwell or think that their falling out is unconnected?

Many thanks

So sorry I've re-written war and peace here lol

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If a pig appears to be in pain a trip to the vet is required - we cannot replace a hands on exam - once you know the problem we can help.

Suzy

Status
Not open for further replies.