• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Alarm is set

Claire W

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
My husband is a school teacher and is going back to work tomorrow after having nearly 6 months off. The alarm is set for 6.30am as I get up with him to put the kettle on and feed the animals (he insists that I do this). It’s going to be a shock to the system getting up so early after all this time especially as I don’t sleep well.

Does anyone else have to be up early?

Good luck for his first day back! Not tomorrow though my kids will likely be up anyway and I also don't sleep well but Wednesday is back to school for us, I'm so anxious about it all 💖

Hope it goes well for you and your hubby, @Claire W !
I have to be up early tomorrow , 7am, but it's because I have to take my husband to hospital for a procedure.
My younger son goes back to school next Monday, so I will be getting up at 7:30 regularly again after a long break for the hols. He did mornings at school from mid June, so I didn't get the full 6 months off from "early" starts. 😴

I’m anxious too :( I hope everything goes well on Wednesday x
*hugs* it's horrible isn't it! I've literally contemplated home edding permenantly I'm so scared but they want to go so I'm trying to be brave (though not sleeping and a nervous wreck) xx

I was a teaching assistant until this last academic year in a special school (not working currently due to my own ill-health). My special school remained open throughout (all pupils with disabilities were classed as vulnerable pupils). No social distancing was possible due to the multiple and complex needs of the pupils, nor was it possible for my colleagues to wear masks ... as the pupils would just tear them off staff faces! Despite this, no rise in infections, so I hope that in primary/secondary schools where pupils do have a level of understanding enabling them to follow instructions and routines, and don't require close-contact care, this trend will also be evident?
Just thought that may provide some reassurance?

I was a teaching assistant until this last academic year in a special school (not working currently due to my own ill-health). My special school remained open throughout (all pupils with disabilities were classed as vulnerable pupils). No social distancing was possible due to the multiple and complex needs of the pupils, nor was it possible for my colleagues to wear masks ... as the pupils would just tear them off staff faces! Despite this, no rise in infections, so I hope that in primary/secondary schools where pupils do have a level of understanding enabling them to follow instructions and routines, and don't require close-contact care, this trend will also be evident?
Just thought that may provide some reassurance?
I do feel a lot of guilt about not being able to be in school over these past months, when my colleagues have had to place themselves in potentially risky and vulnerable positions to do their job. However, my colleagues said the normality of school was hugely helpful for both the pupils and themselves, and hope other's returning this week also 'fit straight back in'!

I feel you, it’s my first day back at work since the end of March tomorrow as well. I‘ve been on furlough for most of the time, then made redundant and am now starting a new job. It‘s definitely going to be a proper shock to the system! Can already see myself in bed by 7pm tomorrow :)):)) good luck for your husband‘s first day tomorrow! xx

I’ve got another week of being the only one in the house up at 6am, then kids back in school (Friday) and husband off furlough (next Monday). I’m sure it will be a shock to the system for all concerned 😂

I will be up at 5.50am tomorrow for work. This may change on Weds though as the bus times are changing & I might just get an extra 10 minutes! This term I have 4 early get ups in a row which will be a shock to the system as for the last 9 weeks I've only done 2 or 3 work get ups a week & before that was on furlough for 3 months. I'm on my way to bed now.

I feel the pain! I’m a primary school teacher and we go back on Thursday :doh: Definitely going to be a shock to the system! Our school are doing staggered start times so my year 5/6 are starting at 8 and finishing at 2. There are going to be lots of tired children (and adults!) Good luck with the early starts! :eek::))

I've been working, so my routine hasn't changed. But had few weeks off (were meant to go abroad), so definitely not prepared for 5:50am alarm!

I don't see how the bubble will work. I mean, my daughter starts Y7 on Thursday and her bubble is her year group. That is 200 kids! Imagine if someone has 3 kids in that same school... So my worry is we'll be constantly self isolating due to cold like symptoms. I can't go to work if I have a temp or cold like symptoms and we're already understaffed, so can't afford not to turn up...
I am skeptical about how this is meant to boost economy and send people back to work if parents will have to stay home with kids if they have cold/flu. We were better off when she was at home as we could work and be reasonable. Now she'll have over 200 close contacts and we're both working. What are our chances? I don't stress about it, but if we'll have to constantly skip work I'll home school her. She actually did more work at home compared to what she did during the couple of weeks she attended at school! I've kept the 9-3 routine and she preferred it that way. So it was actually worse when she went back as I had to give up the time we should have spent having fun together to catch up on what school said they needed to do for the day, but didn't do at school!
So from having 10 in a group to having 200 is a huge step...

I know it's important for their development etc, but wish they would stop pretending all is OK. So, I am giving them benefit of a doubt- and don't really have much of a choice if they're planning on enforcing fines..

I am hoping that the return to school won't result in a rise in the spread of the virus. I read that Sweden which didn't close schools had similar incidence of the virus to Finland, which did close schools. If kids observe social distancing as far as possible, and are strict about hygiene especially hand hygiene, hopefully things will be ok - and that might even reduce the spread of common cold and winter vomiting bugs etc.
We have to hope that the kind of covidiots like those who spread the virus on the plane from Greece, don't tell their kids to ignore the rules ...

I will be up early with the mini-human version of an alarm clock ... my little niece is staying as I am to become an Aunt again imminently ... so I am expecting an early morning "Wakey, wakey" any time after 5am!

Good luck to everyone else getting up early or starting back at work today.

I really do hope that everyone stays safe and that there isn’t a spike occurring due to schools reopening.

I didn’t sleep well at all last night so could have done without an early start...

Good luck to everyone else getting up early or starting back at work today.

I really do hope that everyone stays safe and that there isn’t a spike occurring due to schools reopening.

I didn’t sleep well at all last night so could have done without an early start...
Good luck on your husbands 1st day back. I'm volunteering at the charity shop today so I'm awake but didn't sleep well either so feel shattered x

I had an early night. Thought I'd slept really well & woke up at half past midnight! Not sure if I had some sort of nightmare as I was felt a bit panicky & was scared to close my eyes again. Feel exhausted today, I'll probably see more of my eye floater because I'm tired... as long as I see nothing else!

I’ve been waking up by 6:45 since...Wednesday last week to try and get used to the routine. Today I woke up around 6:15 but didn’t get out of bed till just before 7. Late night last night (midnight) so I’m shattered! The kids go back tomorrow and I’ve been waking them up around 7 the past few days. The eldest is in secondary but can’t wake himself up yet. He‘ll be getting the bus around 8 and dad will drop the girls to school for 8:30. We will all manage somehow.

Good luck for all the teachers and parents going back to work in the office.

Back