• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Alternating food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does it upset a guinea pig's tummy if they have different brands from day to day?
I know it's best to stick with one brand for my dogs or wean slowly from one to another to avoid stomach upsets.
From the threads I've read on here it would appear that some of you feed different brands frequently to vary the diet. I can understand that the guinea pigs would find variety appealing. Let's face it none of us would want the same thing every meal!
Daisy-Boo & Dolly-Pipsqueak are my first piggies so I'm not very experienced but want to make sure they enjoy their food without upsetting their systems.
Please can you advise.......
Thanks. :)

You should vary their vegetables but I stick to the same dry food. I use Burgess excell and think it is really good.

I am beginning to vary thier dry food (i have both types of burgess dried food) And i give the Blackcurrant and oregano on clean out day as a treat.

I know that doesnt really answer yours question... Sorry.

I mix brands and give a bit of this and that together; that works best for me. It also means that you won't be caught out when one brand is for one reason not available or a bag is spoiled, as it has happened to me occasionally over the years. it also means that the piggies are not so fixated on just one kind of food (it can be a real pain on introduction into a group or new home). They also get less bored and won't suddenly off one brand - usually just after you've started a new bag...

Last edited:
I only use the excel nuggets and science selective but make sure that they have two of the different flavours of the excel ones on the go at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back