Alternative to vet bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest an alternative to vet bed to use indoors, with no mess( like there is with shavings) and very little/no smell? Getting the hay off the vetbed is driving me insane :D

gus and jack

Reaction score
At the minute I've got my hay in cardoard boxes on top of the vet bed with a doorway cut out of it. It's worked quite well but you would need a steady supply of boxes like aldi of lidl or somewhere, cos mine hav tended to eat them, wee in them and generally make them mingy. Sorry I don't have a bedding suggestion.

C

cavykind

gus and jack said:
At the minute I've got my hay in cardoard boxes on top of the vet bed with a doorway cut out of it. It's worked quite well but you would need a steady supply of boxes like aldi of lidl or somewhere, cos mine hav tended to eat them, wee in them and generally make them mingy. Sorry I don't have a bedding suggestion.
We have exactly the same here and the guineas love them, I just ask friends and family to keep shoe boxes etc for us.
Personally I don't like the idea of synthetic things in their pens and I'd not really like the idea of all the washing when I don't think they are necessary...but each to their own and these are only my thoughts :)

I line the boxes with lot's of paper, then top with fresh meadow hay. I empty them daily and find they sometimes can last up to a week. Depends if they wet them ::)

Barbara

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
cavykind said:
gus and jack said:
We have exactly the same here and the guineas love them, I just ask friends and family to keep shoe boxes etc for us.
Personally I don't like the idea of synthetic things in their pens and I'd not really like the idea of all the washing when I don't think they are necessary...but each to their own and these are only my thoughts :)

I line the boxes with lot's of paper, then top with fresh meadow hay. I empty them daily and find they sometimes can last up to a week. Depends if they wet them ::)

Barbara
Unfortunately my OH gets asthma from hay so I have a minimum amount of hay in the cages in balls and top up frequently so loads of hay is not possible - by trial and error I've managed to convince him that the amount I use is ok for his asthma ;) Fudge likes sitting in his so I have a corner litter tray that I put hay in for him but the longhaired girls would get more tangles anyway from the hay so they've got 4 hayballs hanging up.

Status
Not open for further replies.