• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Amazon Prime scam calls

Qualcast&Flymo

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Just a word of warning as scammers seem to be at it again with the phone scam pretending to be Amazon and 'helping' you to cancel your Prime subscription.

One of the phone number check sites has 3 pages worth of reports of these calls from just the last few hours, using the phone number 01823 480243

Presumably the number is 'spoofed' as the code is for Taunton and I can't imagine amazon having an office in Taunton...

Last Friday I received 3 different calls allegedly from Amazon from3 different phone numbers about my Prime subscription being collected from my bank account/credit card. The amount mentioned also varied from call to call.Blocked all 3 numbers.

I've been getting these for weeks!
Occasionally it comes up with a mobile type number, it's a different number each time.

I've had one of these recently too. I don't have Prime so pretty easy for me to recognise it as a scam! But sadly some will get taken in by it

They are also sending out emails. I don't have amazon so I knew it was a scam and didn't open it.

Spam emails seem to have started up again recently! I’ve had a few from PayPal and apple but no amazon ones yet.
I usually wont answer a call if I don’t know the number. And if they don’t leave a voicemail then I know it’s dodgy!

I work on the basis of when in doubt it’s probably a scam.
If it may be genuine the call back on a number you know is safe, or check via a known website link.
Reputable companies recommend this.

I seem to be plagued with “ We’re calling about the accident you were involved in....”
I push to know how they got my number and threaten them with the Information Commissioners for breach of GDPR.

I get hung up on every time

My area code! :no:Thanks for the heads up as I definitely would have answered 😂
It was an automated message, inviting you to press 1 if you want to cancel your sub etc, so picking up the phone wouldn't matter of itself, so long as everyone realises it's a scam and ends the call. I don't know whether that Taunton number is being used more than other fake numbers, it just happens to be the one I received and looked up online; when I had a rash of identical calls (probably before lockdown!) they were all from different numbers.
Next time I get one, I'm going to press 1 and waste some of their time to wind them up, I just didn't have time for that today

It was an automated message, inviting you to press 1 if you want to cancel your sub etc, so picking up the phone wouldn't matter of itself, so long as everyone realises it's a scam and ends the call. I don't know whether that Taunton number is being used more than other fake numbers, it just happens to be the one I received and looked up online; when I had a rash of identical calls (probably before lockdown!) they were all from different numbers.
Next time I get one, I'm going to press 1 and waste some of their time to wind them up, I just didn't have time for that today
Be careful that pressing 1 doesn’t connect you to one of the very costly numbers.

I seem to be plagued with “ We’re calling about the accident you were involved in....”
I push to know how they got my number and threaten them with the Information Commissioners for breach of GDPR.

I get hung up on every time
I had dozens of those a few years ago, some were because my car had been damaged in a car park, and after settling my claim with the other party, the insurers sold my details to ambulance chasers (as they do). Others later were speculative, to which I guess your response is pretty effective. I just usually tell them I'm not interested and put the phone down.

I once played along with the “someone in your house has been involved in an accident” cold call. Kept them on the phone for well over 20 minutes as I asked them loads of questions and then went round the house asking each family member if it was them who had been badly injured, before agreeing that it must have been me - and as I had suffered a head injury in the accident I couldn’t remember anything and needed them to call back and speak to my carers.....

Be careful that pressing 1 doesn’t connect you to one of the very costly numbers.
True, it could be that sort... though the website I found had a video showing how this amazon one usually works - they try to get you to allow them to log into your computer, and then presumably they can pick your bank details, and if you don't do that they suggest you go into amazon and buy a gift voucher so they can use the info to refund your sub (not!)

I work on the basis of when in doubt it’s probably a scam.
If it may be genuine then call back on a number you know is safe,
:agr: .

Hubby got one of these calls . He wasn't sure if it was genuine or not - so, he logged onto his Amazon account to check that he hadn't accidently set up a Prime subscription . He did , however, ask me if the call was meant for me ( cheeky **:cen::cen:). My first query was.... why would Amazon have our landline number ?

We also recently got an email informing us our TV licence direct debit had not gone through and our licence was going to expire in 24 hrs " Click on this link to renew ". Fortunatey someone at work had warned me about this one .

We registered with the telephone preference service a while ago but some of these calls seem to come from overseas or are routed out of the UK so seems to get round it. I'm in the process of changing phone and internet providers so will see what happens then.

We registered with the telephone preference service a while ago but some of these calls seem to come from overseas or are routed out of the UK so seems to get round it. I'm in the process of changing phone and internet providers so will see what happens then.

Unfortunately scammers couldn't give two hoots about the TPS or any other legitimate activity.

I always just ignore phone calls like this. Worst case scenario is that a subscription I have gets cancelled cos it didn't get paid in which case I just restart it when I realise

I think a lot of them come from abroad, usually india, though scammers aren't going to abide by the law re TPS whatever they are.
We moved home, ISP and telephone provider & code, last autumn, there was a brief break in pest calls then they started up again. But they did seem to stop during lockdown...

Back