• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Animals you want to keep in the future?

SkyPipDotBernie

Adult Guinea Pig
I will never understand the mentality of someone who can dump an animal :( 4 of my last gerbils were dumped. The rspca collected one of those guinea pig cages with the plastic lids where only the very top has bars. Filled with males, females and babies.. I guess mis sexed pet store gerbs that got out of hand. I ended up taking a mother and her 3 daughters, I was volunteering there at the time and they just couldn't get the sexing right and the plan was to put those ones to sleep to stop the continued breeding. I figured I'd have them and try to figure it out later, luckily for me they were girls and no more litters came of it, they were the sweetest little family.
Glad to hear they wasnt pts! What a waste.

I bought a gerbil from pets@home adoption section years ago called oak. I went in there one day and spotted her and said if she is still theres after xmas il take her . So the time came and her name tag and info was still up on the cage. I said to the manager woman can i have a look at oak if shes still there. She replied no i think shes gone. I was like well the name tag is still up. Manager said no its empty. So then i said well she might be in the big pile of hay. We had a look and she came running out straight into a rabbits face that was living below.

Anyway i re homed her and she lived to a good old age, died of pneumonia that i noticed too late. I was gutted but she was so friendly and confident.

And guess what, she was sold to me as a male lol

SkyPipDotBernie

Adult Guinea Pig
I have heard they fight in small spaces - but in the huge tank they get on great and groom each other - two boys who grew up together, and think they were around 4 months as Pets at home said they are not that popular..! But they are fantastic
They are not popular because kids cant handle their speed, gerbils are very lucky they are fast and scatty. No offence to every kid but you know how many guinea pigs are sold to people for their children who dont bother after the novelty has gone. Hamsters sadly get the short straw along with guineas and rabbits. And rats get lucky with the tail people hate

Claire W

Forum Donator 2017/18
I didnt find her , she was handed in to pets@home. A man and his daughter spotted her in abington park in northampton last winter, must have just been dumped or escaped. But if she was dumped i reckon there was another. Who knows.

One of my wifes friends found a female lion head rabbit under a parked car, reported it and no one owned up so she kept the rabbit and now has a neutered boy from a bunny date with her. I feed them when shes on holiday
Aw poor gerbil(s) thank goodness one of them was found.

That’s a lovely story about the rabbit :)

Pigwhisperer

Adult Guinea Pig
Donkeys, German shepherd dogs. But I don't have the land or the time. I adore cats but am very allergic and I hate that they kill other animals and birds. Rabbits would have been my preference overs guinea pigs originally but not now, pigs are so vocal, I'd miss that!

At the moment my heartstrings are really being pulled by Roborovski hamsters of all things.

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
I wish I could have a herd of capybaras... it would be like piggies you could bring in bed for giant cavy cuddles! Wouldn't fancy the giant poop scooping though, or the giant veggy prep- I helped feed some at Knowsley safari park and they eat a 10 litre bucket of veg each every day!

dannif_piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
I remembered another one I would like! Sugar gliders! They're so cute! I would only ever get these if I had a spare room for them though, so I could have plenty of climbing places for them etc

Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18
I have far too many critters I'd like to keep.. chinchillas are quite high on the list but wouldn't be possible in our current house.
I'm quite a fan of exotic rodents, grass mice, harvest mice and spiny mice are ones I'd love to keep.
Ferrets would be an interesting addition to the family too but also not possible where we're currently living.

We had some Rhea at college which are amazing, flightless birds. I always said if I ever got some land I would get some, they scared quite a lot of the students but they let me hand feed them and I had to go rescue a few people from their field.. in the 3 years I was there we built quite a bond which I didn't expect from birds!
Try rats they are so adorable & intelligent.

Sonnet

Junior Guinea Pig
Would quite like rats at some point. Can’t have them right now because neither Dad nor my stepmum are very keen on them. If I get my own place, then I’ll have some.

Failing rats, would consider a Blue-tongued Skink. The college I went to had one in their animal collection, and he loved just chilling on my shoulder.

Would love a horse, but can’t see myself ever being able to afford one. I know I could loan or share one, but to be honest, I’m not experienced enough, so maybe sometime in the (not too distant) future.