• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Animals you want to keep in the future?

D

DMS260820

I would love some geese if i had a big enough garden one day .

Also would love to have a go at keeping degus, but not at the same time as guinea pigs

I have far too many critters I'd like to keep.. chinchillas are quite high on the list but wouldn't be possible in our current house.
I'm quite a fan of exotic rodents, grass mice, harvest mice and spiny mice are ones I'd love to keep.
Ferrets would be an interesting addition to the family too but also not possible where we're currently living.

We had some Rhea at college which are amazing, flightless birds. I always said if I ever got some land I would get some, they scared quite a lot of the students but they let me hand feed them and I had to go rescue a few people from their field.. in the 3 years I was there we built quite a bond which I didn't expect from birds!

I had a pair of gerbils ten years ago and I'd like to have gerbils again at some point. I'd love some rats...in fact I was a bit torn between getting either rats or guinea pigs, but decided on guinea pigs. Mice look adorable but apparently they're a bit whiffy! Theoretically I'd also like to keep chickens (not really practical with my garden) but whenever I get keen on the idea again I remind myself that I'd be in a state if there was a fox attack and I don't know whether I'd be able to do a mercy killing... I also sort of like the idea of quail...but I'll probably never do it. I've always liked goats but unless I come up on the premium bonds and manage to buy myself a smallholding I don't think this is ever going to happen!

Tjr OH has always wanted a dog. I have always wanted a spaniel so who knows? We may just get one.
I had a springer spaniel a he died about 6 years back. He used to let me pet rats sit on his back, and ride around. He was the so tame

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a pair of gerbils ten years ago and I'd like to have gerbils again at some point. I'd love some rats...in fact I was a bit torn between getting either rats or guinea pigs, but decided on guinea pigs. Mice look adorable but apparently they're a bit whiffy! Theoretically I'd also like to keep chickens (not really practical with my garden) but whenever I get keen on the idea again I remind myself that I'd be in a state if there was a fox attack and I don't know whether I'd be able to do a mercy killing... I also sort of like the idea of quail...but I'll probably never do it. I've always liked goats but unless I come up on the premium bonds and manage to buy myself a smallholding I don't think this is ever going to happen!
I had mice before they absolutely stink i had to re home them because of it..even after they were just cleaned out. Ive had about 4 rats and they are amazing

I have far too many critters I'd like to keep.. chinchillas are quite high on the list but wouldn't be possible in our current house.
I'm quite a fan of exotic rodents, grass mice, harvest mice and spiny mice are ones I'd love to keep.
Ferrets would be an interesting addition to the family too but also not possible where we're currently living.

We had some Rhea at college which are amazing, flightless birds. I always said if I ever got some land I would get some, they scared quite a lot of the students but they let me hand feed them and I had to go rescue a few people from their field.. in the 3 years I was there we built quite a bond which I didn't expect from birds!
I like the look of ferrets. A friend of mine has some . You know in this petshop i recently went to, they were keeping ferrets next door to guinea pigs! Surely not a good idea right?

I had mice before they absolutely stink i had to re home them because of it..even after they were just cleaned out. Ive had about 4 rats and they are amazing
Well that's convinced me against mice then! One day I shall keep rats, one day...

Well that's convinced me against mice then! One day I shall keep rats, one day...
You got to try it, trust me its worth it, watch out for females they are prone to getting tumours near the breast. Out of 3 females 2 of mine had it. Female rats are more active and fun to watch, males tend to be lazy. I think mice stink becauae they have no bladder, I'm sure i read that before

I like the look of ferrets. A friend of mine has some . You know in this petshop i recently went to, they were keeping ferrets next door to guinea pigs! Surely not a good idea right?
When I was about nine I was at a country show where there was a ferret stand, and I nearly convinced my Dad that I could have a ferret...until the standholder said they wouldn't b a good idea if we had cats..and we had three! Now that I'm older and wiser (:lol!:) I think I'd be a bit too nervous about the strength of a ferret's bite to ever have one. I still like them though, but they have a distinctive niff too...

When I was about nine I was at a country show where there was a ferret stand, and I nearly convinced my Dad that I could have a ferret...until the standholder said they wouldn't b a good idea if we had cats..and we had three! Now that I'm older and wiser (:lol!:) I think I'd be a bit too nervous about the strength of a ferret's bite to ever have one. I still like them though, but they have a distinctive niff too...
They use ferrets to chase rabbits out of their burrows , then the jack russell terrier will catch and kill the rabbit.

You got to try it, trust me its worth it, watch out for females they are prone to getting tumours near the breast. Out of 3 females 2 of mine had it. Female rats are more active and fun to watch, males tend to be lazy. I think mice stink becauae they have no bladder, I'm sure i read that before
I was thinking of getting males if I had rats...but three new guinea pigs are enough in the way of time and expense and space for me at the moment!

A friend of my parents had ferrets and they did whiff a bit! They were a bit nibbley too, but to be honest, not any bitier than the puppies at work! We also had a guy come to our horses yard sometimes with ferrets (for the rabbits) and his ferrets were lovely and calm, if you weren’t a rabbit.

A friend of my parents had ferrets and they did whiff a bit! They were a bit nibbley too, but to be honest, not any bitier than the puppies at work! We also had a guy come to our horses yard sometimes with ferrets (for the rabbits) and his ferrets were lovely and calm, if you weren’t a rabbit.
Well i am a rabbit so now I'm scared.

Has anyone ever had lemmings? Or a gerds? What happened to gerds? I dont see them for sale anymore. Though i would only rescue now I'm aware

I live on the part of australia where we literally can’t have anything :soz:. The only animals available to us are; cats, dogs, some farm animals, guinea pigs, rats, mice, and a small selection of reptiles (but if you want a reptile you must register and pay for a wildlife license). We can’t even have bunnies! 😭 We had a bunny when we were living in new south wales, where they were aloud, and he was one of the best pets ever.
I would LOVE all these animals (can’t get them of course where i live because of the stupid council); Bunnies, Hamsters, Chinchillas, skinny pigs, ferrets, Tortoises.

I would really love to have chinchillas again. I’ve had them before and they’ve got such funny, cheeky characters. Long life span which I really like but my partner (who isn’t happy about my current animal family) isn’t keen on another 15-20 years of chinchilla sand being thrown around everywhere in the house!

Back