• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Animals you want to keep in the future?

do it! I had never considered them before my daughter did the research, but now I know they provide the same fun as guinea pigs, rabbits or even our dog!
No - I have to be disciplined! Maybe a bit further down the line when I'm a more experienced guinea pig keeper I might be able to stretch to some gerbils again! They are brilliant little animals - enjoy them!

My son had two gerbils when he was young, they have the most endearing little faces and great personality. We had one that had to have his incisors clipped once a month due to them regrowing not quite right when two broke, can’t remember which ones it was 25 years ago plus, but even the vet became quite fond of him. They make lovely pets for children, don’t smell and wake up when kids come home from school!

I have heard they fight in small spaces - but in the huge tank they get on great and groom each other - two boys who grew up together, and think they were around 4 months as Pets at home said they are not that popular..! But they are fantastic
I had two girls - Doris and Matilda - they were lovely. I brought them home in a pet shop cage which lasted about three days before I went out and bought a tank for them. And like with other animals, there's a lot more variety of bedding, increased knowledge etc now than when I kept them.

Rescue or petshop. You can kind of go in the middle and adopt from pets @ home

I think I'm going to have to resort to pet shop unfortunately, nearest in rescue I've found is 45 miles away! I've been keeping an eye in the adoption section though although it's been nearly 2 months since the idea hit me and so far nothing. It seems they're not as popular as they once were, at least around here which is a shame, they're wonderful pets. The ones in the for sale part are adults so I think they've given up buying in babies that dont sell anyway, Chinese hamsters went the same way.

Gerbils are fab, always had them since i was little, they are fab. I'd like chickens one day.

I’d like degus and maybe hamsters one day. And more guinea pigs 🤣

Hm. I have always wanted a birman cat but with all my guineapigs, hamsters and rannits oh and two cat chasing dogs its not going to happen.

Also they kill things. Shame as I do love them.

They do have bladders but they just pee an awful lot more than other mammals as a way of scent marking.
I wouldn’t keep mice again because of the smell but I’ve also kept and bred rats- again probably not again because of the dribbling but they make the best pets!

My future animals will probably be yet more hens, Pygmy goats and gerbils to shred all the cardboard. I then use the cardboard in the bottom of the chicken coop.
This thread was responsible! I’ve just bought 3 baby gerbils from the rescue bit at PAH!!

One day I will get guinea pigs again, once I'm free of university and settled somewhere. I'd love to have Quail again, they were very cute and I miss listening to their little frog like ribbets and cartoon lazer gun noises (pew pew pew!)
If I have the time, space and money I'd love a proper aquarium, a nice planted tank with colourful fish

One day I will get guinea pigs again, once I'm free of university and settled somewhere. I'd love to have Quail again, they were very cute and I miss listening to their little frog like ribbets and cartoon lazer gun noises (pew pew pew!)
If I have the time, space and money I'd love a proper aquarium, a nice planted tank with colourful fish
Tropical or salt water fish look awesome in a room.without the lights on just the tank light on and a good corral background

My Mum had a bantam cockerel with normal sized hens. He was very frustrated as he found it very difficult to "do what comes naturally" :oops: and it was very funny to watch. We shouldn't have laughed but we couldn't help it!:xd:

Leopard gecko is the ultimate goal, will need my own house and a lot more research until that happens though!

You found a gerbil in a park :yikes: I’m surprised she servived! But am so glad you found her
I didnt find her , she was handed in to pets@home. A man and his daughter spotted her in abington park in northampton last winter, must have just been dumped or escaped. But if she was dumped i reckon there was another. Who knows.

One of my wifes friends found a female lion head rabbit under a parked car, reported it and no one owned up so she kept the rabbit and now has a neutered boy from a bunny date with her. I feed them when shes on holiday

I will never understand the mentality of someone who can dump an animal :( 4 of my last gerbils were dumped. The rspca collected one of those guinea pig cages with the plastic lids where only the very top has bars. Filled with males, females and babies.. I guess mis sexed pet store gerbs that got out of hand. I ended up taking a mother and her 3 daughters, I was volunteering there at the time and they just couldn't get the sexing right and the plan was to put those ones to sleep to stop the continued breeding. I figured I'd have them and try to figure it out later, luckily for me they were girls and no more litters came of it, they were the sweetest little family.

Back