Another job rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've just received a job rejection email :( at this this company had the decency to let me know.
I feel totally crap, it wasn't even the line of work I wanted but I thought I'd give it a go cos it's a job at the end of the day.
I don't think I've ever felt as low as I do now, all I want is to work to show my girls that just because you have children doesn't mean you have to be on benefits.
I don't understand why nobody is giving me a chance, not even a bloody interview I have 9 GSCE's a GNVQ in Health & Social Care, NVQ as a Teaching Assistant, I resat my Maths and English in 2008 (on a 2 week course) to further my education, I have my RSA 1 & 2, RSA Clait my ECDL aswell as a few other bits and bobs.
I can't get TA work as there are loads in Chesterfield, I'm not qualified enough to work in an office (as in not enough experience although a have a couple of years), and apprently I'm not qualified enough to work in a shop :{ although I've done shop work.
It makes me mad as I really want to work but don't seem to be getting any help from the local job centre apparently with my qualifications I'm capable of finding work on my own grrrr they only seem to want to help people who don't want to work.
I know someone who pops a child out roughly every 7yrs which is very convenient as she's never worked and is approaching 40.
I just need a chance to prove myself :(
Sorry for the rant but I'm really angry today.

janew

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, I know how demoralising it can be when no-one will give you a chance.

Have you thought of doing temp work while looking for a permanent job? I did this when I first left college to get some experience as I couldn't get a job. I ended up working in several different office environments and gained some valuable experience as a result. I don't know what the agencies are like now as I'm going back a few years, but it could be worth speaking to a couple of them maybe and seeing if they could help you?

Good luck x

Reaction score
ah i know that one very well! the JOke Centre are completly useless they only "help" those who have no intention of working. Why dont you try cleaning jobs? I have 2 and didn't get interviewed for either. Could be an option while you look for something else. Also have you tried gumtree.com? not many genuine jobs come up on there but sometimes they do (i got my second job on there) might be worth keeping an eye on it. Good luck and try not to let it get you down :)

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
aww so sorry love, i am going through this with my oh at the moment, he is sooo desperately wanting to work but is the opposite, has no quals and not a huge amount of experience as he is from an area that has had high unemployment for a long time.

He is hard work, but i understand, i am lucky as for now i have a job.

The cleaning idea isnt a bad one, my oh generally gets these type of jobs and they are usually through an agency and although they tend to treat you like poo it is a job and its paid, and give you work record for your cv. The last job he had was really well paid, but they just made it impossible for him and he had to leave there, really not good on a cv!

Really wish you lots of luck, at least you are trying :)

Reaction score
I have 2 girls 13 & 7 so cleaning is kinda out of the question (although I must say I am good at it lol) most of the cleaning jobs are in the mornings / late nights.
I have no husband/partner, I do have a b/f but he doesn't live with us.
My youngest has a ongoing health problem (which no one from the job centre has taken in to account) and I also care for my disabled father as my mum works.
So really I'm looking for something around 16-20hrs a week it's not just about coming off benefits but also I feel that I need to do this for myself (a couple of yrs ago my world was turned upside down I was homeless with no money thanks to an a*** of an ex, I managed to get us a private rented house and things started to look brighter for us all but I've been searching for work since July 2009 and I lost count of the jobs I've applied for it must be reaching 200 (and I haven't had one interview :() I just feel useless.
If I take temporary work and there's not another job to go to then I'll be without any money (so the benefits agency tells me) as it takes a while to sign back on.

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
are there any care jobs round you? i work in a nursing home and there always tends to be jobs going.

Reaction score
Really wish you lots of luck, at least you are trying :)

Thanks xx the trying bit doesn't count for anything with the job centre though :(
What I don't understand is why pick on a lone parent who's trying to find work when there are loads of people I know, a lot of them men too who haven't worked for years or have never worked at all.

I've re-done my CV (god knows how many times) and I now have 3, 1 for TA work, 1 for office work and 1 for shop or other work but it still hasn't helped.
I've even been on a back to work scheme and they said I'm doing everything right it's just tough luck at the mo grrrr

Reaction score
are there any care jobs round you? i work in a nursing home and there always tends to be jobs going.

That's my next port of call, There's a local company (think it may be new ?) that want's workers to go to people's house, a bit like home help and I've heard that they offer flexi time which would be a god send, I imagine the wages won't to good but beggars can't be choosers as my nan used to say.

It just sucks that everyone tells you to get a good education and then you can't do anything with it, I kinda feel like I've wasted years at college, night school and further education classes.

Farquhar

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm being made redundant next month after 18 years and am so dreading interviews. I just freeze during interviews and start sweating and stammering. I hope you get something soon hun..

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i guess its the way things are isnt it :(

Have you thought about doing mystery shopping? its quite time consuming, but you do get paid (although not that much) but its something to put on your cv. I have done some with retail eyes.

ps/ the job centre are horrible to my oh as he has an accent and they judge him, yet he is probably one of the only people round here that is actively looking for work as most are happy to stay on benefits grrrr

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry you are going through this but it seems to be a sign of the times. It seems the recession is an employers market and with a record number if people applying for every role the employers can have it all, qualifications, experience and character! It's a very tough time but persereve with it and you will get there in time. Try looking for voluntary work to get a foot in the door and up to date experience

Reaction score
I have 2 girls 13 & 7 so cleaning is kinda out of the question (although I must say I am good at it lol) most of the cleaning jobs are in the mornings / late nights.
I have no husband/partner, I do have a b/f but he doesn't live with us.
My youngest has a ongoing health problem (which no one from the job centre has taken in to account) and I also care for my disabled father as my mum works.
So really I'm looking for something around 16-20hrs a week it's not just about coming off benefits but also I feel that I need to do this for myself (a couple of yrs ago my world was turned upside down I was homeless with no money thanks to an a*** of an ex, I managed to get us a private rented house and things started to look brighter for us all but I've been searching for work since July 2009 and I lost count of the jobs I've applied for it must be reaching 200 (and I haven't had one interview :() I just feel useless.
If I take temporary work and there's not another job to go to then I'll be without any money (so the benefits agency tells me) as it takes a while to sign back on.

Why dont you try volunteer office jobs for a charity or something. It will give you a reference, something recent to put on your cv experience and stop you losing your marbles! If you volunter for less than 16 hours a week the joke centre cant stop your money!

Reaction score
I dont think it's all the "current climates" fault. The joke centre are partly to blame all these gateway to work courses thewy do are a complete waste of time and are designed to degrade and humiliate. I don't understand why they dont act as a job agency ie find you interviews or actual work. the way the place is run doesnt help either. The majority of the jobs they advertise are out of date and taken so you are wasteing your time/effort. I have this on the go:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/jokecentre/index.html

Ive also been in contact with my local mp who agrees the place needs a total overhaul. We plan to send the chief exec of the joke centre the petition and a massive file of peoples experience with them. Ive also head CAB are doing similar.

Sorry to go off topic (sort of)

Reaction score
I can't volunteer as apparently it's classed as working :{ if I can volunteer I can work.
I asked the Job centre last year to look over my CV and they told me that they can't help out with CV's anymore incase I go for a job and don't get it and then try and sue them ......it's a complete joke.
I did volunteer as a TA at 2 local schools whilst doing my course but at the end of the year they wanted me out to make way for new student TA's.
I know there are loads of people going through the same thing it just gets me that the job centre is just a building with people and paperwork, I do not believe that anything is actually ever done there, you're all tared with the same brush (if you're unemployed you're a scrounger with no intention of working) I also feel that the problem lies deeper than the job centre as theirs hands are tied, there is only certain things they can help you with and there is lots of red tape rolleyes.
I have a friend you works for them on the investigations bit and even she says that the employment section are a waste of time :x

Reaction score
I'm being made redundant next month after 18 years and am so dreading interviews. I just freeze during interviews and start sweating and stammering. I hope you get something soon hun..

I'm sorry that you're gonna be in the same boat but with your current work history I'm sure you'll get something quickly.....goodluck x

Reaction score
I can't volunteer as apparently it's classed as working :{ if I can volunteer I can work.
I asked the Job centre last year to look over my CV and they told me that they can't help out with CV's anymore incase I go for a job and don't get it and then try and sue them ......it's a complete joke.
I did volunteer as a TA at 2 local schools whilst doing my course but at the end of the year they wanted me out to make way for new student TA's.
I know there are loads of people going through the same thing it just gets me that the job centre is just a building with people and paperwork, I do not believe that anything is actually ever done there, you're all tared with the same brush (if you're unemployed you're a scrounger with no intention of working) I also feel that the problem lies deeper than the job centre as theirs hands are tied, there is only certain things they can help you with and there is lots of red tape rolleyes.
I have a friend you works for them on the investigations bit and even she says that the employment section are a waste of time :x
Whoever told you that is talking a load of tosh!

I'm good at cvs if you would like me to re do you one feel free to send me what you have :) also i put a reference in with mine (hand written but scanned into my pc so i can re use) since i started putting the referenc in with my cv ive always heard back even if thre just tlling me to bog off!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Gettinginvolvedinyourcommunity/Volunteering/DG_064299

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

oh no, poor you, i am the same at interviews :( its just so horrible :red

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Whoever told you that is talking a load of tosh!

I'm good at cvs if you would like me to re do you one feel free to send me what you have :) also i put a reference in with mine (hand written but scanned into my pc so i can re use) since i started putting the referenc in with my cv ive always heard back even if thre just tlling me to bog off!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Gettinginvolvedinyourcommunity/Volunteering/DG_064299

gosh lucky you, i have never had to do a cv, and i have only (really) had two jobs one in a bank for 14 years and now in admin in nursing home for 10 years. i have just started to do a customer service nvq diploma JUST for something to fill the cv with if/when i have to do one!! My oh's cv looks well shady as there are massive gaps due to unemployment, i think if we hadnt have got together when we did he would have lost the plot by now, everything just seems hopeless for him. For me i am just so glad someone is with my dogs and pigs all day and they are not on their own ;)

Also, i made him go to job centre last week to update his cv, and they made an appointment for him, so i dont know why they told you otherwise, cheeky buggers.

i think most care jobs are minimum wage, btw, ours pay slightly more, good luck with it.....never give up x>>

Reaction score
gosh lucky you, i have never had to do a cv, and i have only (really) had two jobs one in a bank for 14 years and now in admin in nursing home for 10 years. i have just started to do a customer service nvq diploma JUST for something to fill the cv with if/when i have to do one!! My oh's cv looks well shady as there are massive gaps due to unemployment, i think if we hadnt have got together when we did he would have lost the plot by now, everything just seems hopeless for him. For me i am just so glad someone is with my dogs and pigs all day and they are not on their own ;)

Also, i made him go to job centre last week to update his cv, and they made an appointment for him, so i dont know why they told you otherwise, cheeky buggers.

i think most care jobs are minimum wage, btw, ours pay slightly more, good luck with it.....never give up x>>

Thanks you guys xx
I've done what I always do when I'm upset or angry....I've eaten loads of chocolate (so now I'll be worrying about weight gain grrrr) and cleaned my carpets lol it's theraputic.
I think the job advisor was saying if I can volunteer for 16hrs then I could find a job for 16hrs which makes sense but when you volunteer people usually take you cos your service is free and you do the hours that suit you.
They never had a problem with me volunteering when I was on Income support but I've been taken off that now as part of a new government scheme and put on job seekers, as of yesterday I have 13wks to find paid work 16hrs or more otherwise I'll be hauled in feeling humiliated and made to feel even more of a failure and have to fill a new sheet in saying that I promise to try harder.
Maybe I just need a complete change maybe I wasn't meant to be a TA or an office worker.
In fact I think I'm gonna look at it this way ...all the job's I've applied for probably weren't for me, I was to good for them lol (:x).
Onwards and upwards let's see what the future brings

Ooh thanks for the CV offer but I've already had it checked twice (I was paranoid) by an unemployment agency but it was very kind of you x

Status
Not open for further replies.