1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anther day, another pig with potential bladder problems

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Little Pig, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womble is crying while peeing and passing pellets. I thought it may have been a coincidence yesterday, but have been watching him closely today and it is every time he goes to the toilet. Poor fella, and to make it worse, Pig teeth chatters at him whenever he squeaks in pain.

I'm unsure if this is a bladder infection, or if it is possibly related to his gut stasis issues? There is no visible blood, but it could be stone or sludge related as his urine is fairly calcified when it dries.

Just phoned the emergency vet and they have told me it is fine for me to give him metacam (I have some of Pig's left over), but we'll be going back to see Anne first thing on Monday. I'm also going to syringe feed him some extra water.

I feel like the pigs are taking it in turns with me now - Pig is fine, so Womble has decided that I can't possibly go a week without a trip to the vets!

2. flips

Senior Guinea Pig

Jan 21, 2010
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    Oh no, not again. These boys are giving you the run around.

Hope the extra fluids help. Get well soon Womble. xx>>>

3. Saysie

Saysie Adult Guinea Pig

May 5, 2010
    Berkshire
    Really sorry to hear Womble is poorly. I have a piggie with bladder problems so know how upsetting it is. Really hope he feels better soon. x

4. CandyFloss

Senior Guinea Pig

Jan 25, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Awww poor Womble. Hope he feels better soon,
    x

5. Thanks - the metacam seems to be helping as he still whimpers but not as badly. After speaking to another forum member, I've decided to err on the side of caution and not give him too much extra water. It was pointed out to me that if he does have a bladder stone, I don't necessarily want to flush it though so it becomes stuck somewhere further down. I'll try to have him x-rayed on Monday so we know what we're dealing with.

6. Guinea pig slave

Senior Guinea Pig

Feb 6, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    Aw, how sad :( It's heartbreaking to see your piggy in pain.
    Has he had a stone ruled out ? Diluted unsweetened Cranberry is also good for bladder piggies and we give our boy who had a stone removed in the summer Cystease.
    Metacam and antibiotics reduced my boys appetite to zero so we had a battle with food for him as he lost sooo much weight so quickly, the vet said he wasn't strong enough for surgery until we had built him up with Critical Care over 48 hours. He's been perfectly healthy since his op but never want to experience seeing any one of my piggies in so much pain ever again 8...
    Bloody stones and bladder problems grrrr...hope your boy finds the relief he needs soon and send healing vibes and hugs x>>

7. AndreaJane

AndreaJane *Photo Competition Winner*
    Forum Donator 2014/15

Jul 24, 2011
    Chester
    :laluot_29: healing vibes for Womble :laluot_29:

8. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Coventry UK
    Best of luck that it is just a UTI - even though those can be a real pest to get rid of! The symtpoms can cover either. Spring and autumn with the big swings in temperature is usually the main UTI season.

Make sure that he still can drink normally.

9. Guinea pig slave

Senior Guinea Pig

Feb 6, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    Is he arching his back when pooping/weeing hun ? Usual characteristic of a stone. X-ray is the better option as an ultra sound can miss one.
    Keep us posted and will keep an eye on your thread having experienced a piggy with this. Still have the offending thing the size of a pea in a container on my shelf :)>>> Hate the bloody thing but can't part with it :{
    Reduce calcium intake too, I limit spinach, kale, parsley etc. weekly now after Harley's stone :(

10. Guinea pigs <3

Senior Guinea Pig

Feb 5, 2011
    London
    :( so so sorry to hear Womble is now having troubles - you poor thing, but at least he is with an owner that cares and that will get him the best possible treatment. So far, I luckily have no experience with bladder problems so can't offer any advice but thinking of you and Womble and sending our healing vibes his way! Have you had to hold off with the bonding again now?

11. Sasha

Sasha New Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Warickshire ,uk
    Poor piggy hope he gets better soon poorly little pig!!

12. Thanks everyone. I think it is likely to be a UTI rather than a stone as despite him drinking well, he is only peeing tiny amounts each time he goes. I won't know for sure until I get some tests done for him at the vets - hopefully tomorrow if Anne can fit us in. He is eating and drinking normally and seems his usual happy self. He is not hunching up when he pees, just crying - but this has eased since I gave him metacam. At this stage, I'm not overly worried - I think having so many problems with Pig recently has helped me learn not to panic every time a guinea pig gets sick!

13. Oh, and yes, bonding is once again on hold - maybe one day we'll get there!

14. mikulinek

mikulinek Teenage Guinea Pig

Poor Womble. We'll keep everyhting crossed for you for tomorrow. Hope Womble is ok for now.

15. first_time_piggie_mum

first_time_piggie_mum Adult Guinea Pig

Jul 10, 2011
    Northampton
    Poor womble, hope he gets better soon.

I know what its like to have a pig in that situation and its heartbreaking to hear and watch :(

16. Womble went to visit Anne the vet this morning and he doesn't have bladder stones - Hurrah!

After a urine test, we are treating as a UTI. He is on Metacam, Septrin and extra fluids. The Metacam kicked in fairly quickly after I started giving it to him on Saturday night and he doesn't appear to be in pain, so I'm happy about that.

I also let him out with Pig in the hallway last night and they are hilarious together - so, so excited. Lots of noise (so much I thought the neighbours were going to complain), crazed running around and then they tired themselves out and had a nap together under a hidey. I'm really pleased. There was a little bit of humping and circle dancing, but they seem to get on surprising well and didn't fight over the tunnels (this is the first time I have put them together with accessories) and shared food from the same bowl with no fuss at all.

17. flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig

Sep 17, 2009
    Never never land
    Great news :) - you'll be up an extra half hour earlier to syringe feed fluids now rolleyes, Joys of piggies!

x

18. Oh well, they gave me a 30 minute lie in for a week! Womble is such an obliging little boy though, he sits with his mouth open waiting for the next syringe-ful!

19. flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig

Sep 17, 2009
    Never never land
    Bless must know he needs it :) x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.