• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Anxiety ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone else a sufferer? Recently it's been seeping into my dreams too, that's if I even get to sleep. Can anyone reccomend any meds? Love you all. Also my aggraphobia is playing up and I feel like hibernating for the rest of my life, if it wasn't for my husband and the forums I don't think i'd speak to anyone? xx

Awww hugs. I think I suffer from anxiety too but not to the same extent. You know am here if you need me.

I know but you seem so busy plus it's my shizzle, I don't want to lump it on you :) I just want to know what meds to look out for

Well hopefully someone on here can help with the meds.

I am really busy but will always have time to talk even if it's just for 5 minutes.

I suffer anxiety and depression. In particular I struggle travelling to new or even newish places on my own without having panic attacks and I have panic attacks in crowds too. I had so much time off work with viruses and stuff before christmas that I had panic attacks on leaving the house and had to force myself as I didn't want to end up agoraphobic.

Now medication is largely going to depend on if you are taking anything currently (not necessarily related to the anxiety). I usually carry Bach's rescue remedy with me which is calming in case I start to feel panicky while I'm out. Previously I took St Johns Wort for my depression and anxiety as it was described as a halfway point between taking nothing and taking antidepressants. However you have to be really careful cos it affects pretty much every other medication you could possibly have including the contraceptive pill (not assuming you're on it just don't want any big surprises turning up)!

On a serious note I would consider discussing this with your GP further, you don't have to take any medication they recommend (if they recommend any of course) but they may be able to offer you other services such as counselling which may help you deal with any underlying problems that causes the anxiety

Hi,

I would echo the above post, I would stick to herbal remedies from the chemist, some of the medication the doctor gives you sometimes makes you feel worse in some cases.

Rescue remedy, and kalms are meant to be good, also the best thing is exercise it is so important for anxiety. At least 30 mins of cardiac exercise a day like cycling (exercise bike), wii fit, anything that get you out of breath is a good relaxant.

I find sitting on the computer makes me feel more depressed and I walk everyday.:))

oh another good hobby to pick up or try out is something like pilates or mediation. Tai Chi and Qi Kung (often spelt Chi Kung and other variants) are particularly good as they are a mediative moment and supposed to improve the flow of Chi (energy) through your body. Should help you relax a bit too

oh another good hobby to pick up or try out is something like pilates or mediation. Tai Chi and Qi Kung (often spelt Chi Kung and other variants) are particularly good as they are a mediative moment and supposed to improve the flow of Chi (energy) through your body. Should help you relax a bit too

yes I forgot about that yes pilates and yoga are great:))

I suffer anxiety and depression. In particular I struggle travelling to new or even newish places on my own without having panic attacks and I have panic attacks in crowds too. I had so much time off work with viruses and stuff before christmas that I had panic attacks on leaving the house and had to force myself as I didn't want to end up agoraphobic.

Now medication is largely going to depend on if you are taking anything currently (not necessarily related to the anxiety). I usually carry Bach's rescue remedy with me which is calming in case I start to feel panicky while I'm out. Previously I took St Johns Wort for my depression and anxiety as it was described as a halfway point between taking nothing and taking antidepressants. However you have to be really careful cos it affects pretty much every other medication you could possibly have including the contraceptive pill (not assuming you're on it just don't want any big surprises turning up)!

On a serious note I would consider discussing this with your GP further, you don't have to take any medication they recommend (if they recommend any of course) but they may be able to offer you other services such as counselling which may help you deal with any underlying problems that causes the anxiety

I'm on citalopram. I don't know if it would be messed up by any thing else. Counselling i've had a penny a dozen doesn't work for me.

Hi,

I would echo the above post, I would stick to herbal remedies from the chemist, some of the medication the doctor gives you sometimes makes you feel worse in some cases.

Rescue remedy, and kalms are meant to be good, also the best thing is exercise it is so important for anxiety. At least 30 mins of cardiac exercise a day like cycling (exercise bike), wii fit, anything that get you out of breath is a good relaxant.

I find sitting on the computer makes me feel more depressed and I walk everyday.:))

Rescue remedy and Kalms don't help either, I think i'm too far gone unfortunately.

I do sit ups and push ups every day, and as much cleaning as I can do but I still have a bad back *stares at back*

And now to top it all off i'm not sleeping like... I went to *bed* at 1 last night.... it's not 5. That's so not cool.

OK in that case do NOT take st johns wort cos you'll be getting too much a dosage due to the antidepressants. Have you considered hypnotherapy at all? I know it doesn't work for everyone and not tried it myself but might be work a shot if you've tried a lot of other things and they haven't worked

The medication may vary, as I am in South Africa, but I've been on Cipralax for depression and Adco Azlam for anxiety, tieh Adco Azlam I take before bed time, and it makes you sleep well, as it calms you.

There is nothing wrong with being on medication for any of these, it betters the quality of your life so much. The anxiety *** become worse if you do not sleep.
Whatever you do, do not stop the medication cold turkey when you start feeling better, as you will then feel even worse.

Having said all this, you MUST go to your GP, and discuss this with him, and get the meds you need.

Hi! Just thought I would add something as I have been suffering from anxiety for a while. I think mine is due to work situations ie I run 2 businesses, one of which I'm trying to sell as I hate doing it. I wasn't sleeping, was waking up early with pains in my chest dreading getting up or dreading the phone ringing and it making me stressed. I finally went to the doctors and got put on Sertraline. Only 50mg a day for anxiety and although I felt sick for the first couple of weeks taking them (common side effect but great for a diet!lol) I wouldn't now be without them until I can sort my business out.
I'm sleeping, don't wake up stressed and my hubby says I'm alot more chilled than normal.
The important thing for me is that I don't feel as though I'm on drugs. I still feel like me, but just a normal version.

Not saying these would work as well for you as it depends on other factors.

Natural ways - yoga before bed, the sleep aid tablets are supposed to be good, lavender on your pillow, cognitive therapy ie changing the way you think & feel about things.
X

My doctor has been slapped with the IDIOT stick today.

Went in and told them how I was feeling. They upped my meds, from 10mg to 20mg, said that they didn't want to prescirbe anything for the anxiety as it can interfere with the anti deps. But they tried to give me the wrong one, argh! x

Lol. think you should try a different doctor, haha.

Sertraline is actually an anti-depressant. They just work more specifically with anxiety. Numpty doctors!

I would think that anxiety is worse as this can cause further depression from not sleeping etc.

The other thing the docs gave me whilst my pills were kicking in was Valium. They only gave me a few for when I was feeling really bad as they say they can be addictive. I only used a few and haven't needed them anymore.

There is one doctor at our surgery who is very up on depression and alternative therapies. He helped me and my hubby and wanted to even council us, lol. You don't get many docs like that!

If you really feel that your meds aren't working or doing what's best for you, see if you can see someone else who is more sympathetic. It's amazing the difference seeing someone who understands makes.

Sorry I can't do anymore :(:(
x

Squeaksmom, tell me about it *sighs*

Tani, Don't you dare be sorry you've been lovely and tried your best to help. It's not your fault nor mine that my doctor is...well :) Anyways :D

I might try a different doctor, but I just want to go back to MY doctors surgery, where they KNOW me there...they knwo what drugs i'm on and they don't try to change them for no reason except that it's a 154 pounds difference to them.

steraline. I will have a look into it :) x

ok from what I understand 10mg a day of citalopram is (oh god cant remember the name) but is normally only used in the process of coming off the medication, I was advised against it and told to stick with the 20mg a day although I know they can up the dosage to 40mg. You might feel a bit better on the higher dosage. Citalopram did not agree with me at all and I felt absolute zero on 20mg a day, no excitment let alone anxiety so I'm on a different one now that lets me feel things but numbs the anxiety and depression slightly.

If your doctor is useless then ask for a second opinion. I've had problems with doctors in the past and when I moved house I cried even more in my appointment cos my new doctors are all so caring and understanding.

Years ago I was perscribed Prothiaden, it's an anti depressant particually good for anxiety and sleep problems ask your doctor about this.

I had no side effects a al, but may cause some drowsiness. My doctor at the time was great as he was trained in depression and disorders affecting mood:))

I think I might change doctors surgery, they've never been particulaly helpful and the receptioniest scares me 0.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back