Any feedback for hamster teeth?

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm concerned about my daughter's Syrian hamster, Carmen. She is about 2 years old, so getting up there for a hamster. I noticed this week that her front teeth are worn unevenly... the top ones are definitely worn at an angle. She has a wood chew hanging in her cage where she always climbs the bars and chews on the metal clip at the top rather than the wood part made for chewing- I wonder if she has worn her teeth down unevenly on that? It's very hard to tell how well she's eating, as she typically doesn't eat where we can see her. She just pouches her food in her cheeks and then eats it in her hidey. I gave her some apple today to try to assess her chewing (she cant pouch a whole apple!) and she did appear to be gnawing on it okay. She does seem to have slimmed down a bit lately, but I had checked it up to aging, she is now 2 and is getting that 'older hamster' look where she has less muscle mass and her fur doesn't lay as smooth... now I'm wondering if her teeth need work. I checked her against our other Syrian hamster's teeth and the other hamster's teeth are definitely more even, but she is also a whole lot younger and I'm not sure how maloccluded they have to look at the front to be a problem. Just looking for some feedback- I will probably take her to the vet anyhow, as I may have to take Hadley in as she's limping on her back foot and I might as well take them both, but just wondering if anyone has any advice.

Robin_

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

I would definitely take her in to the vet. Uneven teeth can definitely cause more issues over time, and just getting them evened out now will be much better in the long run :)

As for the cause, I would definitely remove the hanging toy. If she starts to get issues with bar chewing, I would try to move her into a cage without bars, such as a tank (not sure how common those are in Canada but at very least a 40g will work, 75g being preferred). Bar chewing can cause broken teeth, head trauma, and irritated nose/mouth skin from rubbing against neighboring bars, so it’s something you definitely want to avoid.

Skullblits

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If they need to be put under in order to clip a hamsters teeth I'm certain a vet wouldn't touch the hamster because of its age.

But if they don't then it should be taken to a vet.

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm going to take her in to get it checked out... I already took the toy out and substituted some wood chews that don't hang up (which she ignores, of course.) I could definitely move to a tank... so far she doesn't chew the bars that much, but had a real fixation on that stupid toy!

Robin_

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds good :) Most hamsters don’t like traditional chews, but my previous syrians (particularly my extra destructive ones) have loved shredding willow tunnels and hay tubes. May be worth a shot if you have those available :)

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds good :) Most hamsters don’t like traditional chews, but my previous syrians (particularly my extra destructive ones) have loved shredding willow tunnels and hay tubes. May be worth a shot if you have those available :)
I will definitely try that! We have some willow balls around, Hadley likes those too!