• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Any fellow equine people around here?

I hope I didn't come across as judgemental it's just really hard to get a diagnosis here even when it's blatantly obvious. Also tactful is not my strong point (autism at play)
I hope hippotherapy works for him. Have you looked into intensive interaction. It's an approach that often comes quite naturally but really makes a difference when it's done right. Rebound therapy (trampolining) can be great too especially for children that have a lot of full body stims like spinning. Lockdown makes a lot of these things hard to access but don't worry he has a lifetime to make progress.

No, I didn't think you were judgmental at all. A lot of people think my husband is pretty blunt when he says things, too. I'm sorry to hear that it takes so much to get help in the UK. Hippotherapy is pretty expensive, but I am waiting to hear back from the disability office for the autism waiver. It helps cover things that aren't covered by regular health insurance like hippotherapy, speech, OT, respite care, or other treatment/help. He is going to start at an ABA center next month. I interviewed a ton of ABA centers and I like how this place treated the children and how they handle things when the children are having a difficult time. I've visited them twice and I watched how the kids behaved and the adults too. Everyone was having a good time and when they were having difficulty, the adults handled it with patience and love.

Ah I love school horses and their personalities 😂 they very quickly learn the best way out of work is not to protest, but to do nothing at all. Very very de-sensitised! I used to run my own riding school and livery business and the school horses were hilarious 😂

I don’t actually work in the therapy side of things, though I used to do some RDA at our centre. One of my students has gone on to set up her own equine therapy business and offers hippotherapy . Depends where you are based? 😊

That's good to hear that I just had a clever horse! The horse my sister rode was really young and it was so easy to post riding her. She was a dream to work with!

No, I didn't think you were judgmental at all. A lot of people think my husband is pretty blunt when he says things, too. I'm sorry to hear that it takes so much to get help in the UK. Hippotherapy is pretty expensive, but I am waiting to hear back from the disability office for the autism waiver. It helps cover things that aren't covered by regular health insurance like hippotherapy, speech, OT, respite care, or other treatment/help. He is going to start at an ABA center next month. I interviewed a ton of ABA centers and I like how this place treated the children and how they handle things when the children are having a difficult time. I've visited them twice and I watched how the kids behaved and the adults too. Everyone was having a good time and when they were having difficulty, the adults handled it with patience and love.

That's good to hear that I just had a clever horse! The horse my sister rode was really young and it was so easy to post riding her. She was a dream to work with!

ABA isn't very common here but the psychology behind it is the same as that that is used with a lot of common practices here. It does have good results although it's not well liked by the autism community as it is often seen as being very negative towards autism traits trying to "fix" autism which we all know is a beautiful thing that doesn't need curing. I'm glad you found somewhere with kind and patient staff I think that's the most important thing.

Meee.
You may have read my previous threads, but if not.. I’ve been a horsey girl since I was about 12 (I'm now 29). I come from a totally non-horsey family, after having many loan horses I finally saved up to buy my own Pony, Lucy from a dealers yard when I was about 18.
Lucy and I moved to Australia last year (!) and we now have 3 Brumby (Australian wild horses) friends. Which I trained myself from scratch shortly after they were trapped from their homelands in the bush (by the government/parks).
Cappa is 6 year old 13.1hh from Kosciusko National Park. Who I’ve just started riding.
Binki is 14.2hh, 5 year old also from Kosciusko.
And Billie buttons is a 2yr old from Bago (she was actually born here at the sanctuary after her mother was bought in pregnant).
Training/educating Brumbies has taught me SO much.

Here is Lucy and I a couple of days ago:
62F66FF2-5241-46E2-B3D7-B0A88C17535E.jpeg

Binki trying on his new western saddle, ready for his first sit in a few months maybe..
24A8CD0B-CCAE-4989-B135-9502DE59B67D.jpeg

Lucy and Cappa..
1837F730-ECD0-4430-AFD7-8A8B625ECEE0.jpeg

My herd (plus 1)
46085050-17DE-489D-BB45-B85CF5BC1396.jpeg

Billie’o
1EECA275-758B-41C3-B2DB-5DAF953BA571.jpeg

Cappa, 3rd r
ECAC7912-2221-47F4-810E-9C63EF67D1C4.jpeg

waiting for food..
C999ACFD-3A97-490E-8100-F3682C799A54.jpeg

Meee.
You may have read my previous threads, but if not.. I’ve been a horsey girl since I was about 12 (I'm now 29). I come from a totally non-horsey family, after having many loan horses I finally saved up to buy my own Pony, Lucy from a dealers yard when I was about 18.
Lucy and I moved to Australia last year (!) and we now have 3 Brumby (Australian wild horses) friends. Which I trained myself from scratch shortly after they were trapped from their homelands in the bush (by the government/parks).
Cappa is 6 year old 13.1hh from Kosciusko National Park. Who I’ve just started riding.
Binki is 14.2hh, 5 year old also from Kosciusko.
And Billie buttons is a 2yr old from Bago (she was actually born here at the sanctuary after her mother was bought in pregnant).
Training/educating Brumbies has taught me SO much.

Here is Lucy and I a couple of days ago:
View attachment 168254

Binki trying on his new western saddle, ready for his first sit in a few months maybe..
View attachment 168255

Lucy and Cappa..
View attachment 168256

My herd (plus 1)
View attachment 168257

Billie’o
View attachment 168258

Cappa, 3rd r
View attachment 168259

waiting for food..
View attachment 168260
Love them all! I have a particular soft spot for chestnuts so I love Cappa!, I’ve had 5 chestnuts myself 😂 Well done on doing such a great job with them. My equine students are currently looking at behaviour and comparing different training methods, so I might be bugging you more to ask about your methods. It will be a lovely comparison for them to discuss, compared to traditional training methods often used in sports horses.
That’s if you don’t mind me asking! 😊😊🐴🥰

Love them all! I have a particular soft spot for chestnuts so I love Cappa!, I’ve had 5 chestnuts myself 😂 Well done on doing such a great job with them. My equine students are currently looking at behaviour and comparing different training methods, so I might be bugging you more to ask about your methods. It will be a lovely comparison for them to discuss, compared to traditional training methods often used in sports horses.
That’s if you don’t mind me asking! 😊😊🐴🥰

of course! Feel free to ask away:D

Back