• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Any hammy species experts out there?

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all,

I rarely frequent the board for much but wondered if there are any hammy enthusiasts out there?
I have acquired a new friend but wondered what species she is? Tossing up between Campbell's and a winter white. She weighs 40g but is overweight so on a diet currently, I would expect her healthy weight to be 30-35g. She has some tiny black specks in her coat and a faint line of black flecks down her back too. I don't really care whatever she is even if a mix, just wondering and struggling to tell which (I think mostly due to her colour lol). She's certainly not a Chinese or a robo as too big etc.

IMG_2957.JPGIMG_2962.JPGIMG_2956.JPG

Thanks in advance. She has no name yet either so any takers on ideas. She absolutely mad and full of life. Lovely little thing.

x

Last edited:
Most likely a hybrid unless from a breeder with a pedegree. She is absolutely gorgeous. (Ie mix of ww and campbells).

Erins animals on youtube has an array of brilliant hamster videos.

I agree that’s she’s likely to be a hybrid, winter white/Campbell.

She’s ADORABLE! Hamsters are my favourite animal :love: I’ve moved to Australia and I’m so sad they don’t have them here lol.
Name ideas:
Dotty/Dot
Blizzard
Petal
Daphne
Lola
Titch

She looks like a winter white too me. I used to have a winter white that looked exactly like her and her name was Misty 💝. She was the sweetest hamster ever. Winter whites can come ina variety of colors, i actually had two other winter whites but they werent pure white like Misty and your hammy. They had a gray body but with a bit of white. There named were Sugar and Angel. They were all winter whites 😁

Gorgeous! I think she is a Winter White (But I have heard that all dwarf hamsters bred as pets are actually hybrids)

She's lovely. I don't much about hammie breeds. I have one Roborovski hamster (Tó). Mby Snowie is a good name (or perhaps too common)...XD i am sure she will be happy.

I agree she's most likely a Russian dwarf winter white hybrid. She's absolutely gorgeous. I would call her snowdrop.

I agree, she's probably a hybrid, most are nowadays. I love dwarf hammies!

Thank you all. Much appreciated. She's certainly a large source of both amusement and love that's for sure. Mad little thing, my first hammy I have had (never did have one as a child etc).

x

She could be a hybrid, but defiantly looks like a winter white. Hope you enjoy her company she is adorable!

She's beautiful! It can be so hard to tell between winter whites and Campbell's... especially since so many are hybrid. They really are adorable little things, with their huge anime eyes!

Here's a picture of my daughter's former (probably Campbell's but could have been hybrid) dwarf hamster. She just passed away a few months ago. Her name was Eevee... she was adorable but a bit of a biter!

Love the name and definitely a dwarf hybrid as pedigree hamsters are only available from breeders in the UK, and these are few and far between.
Doesn't make any difference though - she is a lovely girl, and hybrids also often change colour quite dramatically depending on what mix they are.
Would love to see a picture of her cage set up - I have learnt so much from looking at other people's cages.

Raisin (my Winter White boy) says Hi :D
IMG_0891.JPG

She is a Dwarf Russian Winter White Sapphire. My Frankie looked exactly the same. I had him such a long time ago now and he was lovely. Out of all the hammies I have had he was the only one I would trust to run up and down the sofa and not do a Kamakaze leap of the end and he used to love walking across my back from one shoulder to the other. He lived to be 3 in the end when I had to have him pts cos he had a HUGE tumour underneath his little body that was almost the size of him. He went through a bowlful of food a night to feed it and he was all skin and bone. He had to arch his back to walk in the end. One day is was small and few days later it wasn't.

Back