• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Any Pescatarians/vegetarians/vegans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby Inferno

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am now a pescatarian (I don't eat meat other than fish) as of recent. The reason for this is because I simply dislike the taste of meat, except for fish which I absolutely adore. Also because I love animals but can't bring myself to cutting out fish so I'm perfectly happy with this arrangement. I started with cutting out red meat, then poultry.

Not trying to make any of you meat eaters out there feel guilty, this is just my personal opinion. :)

Anyone else who doesn't eat meat? Feel free to share why and how you became pescatarian/vegetarian/vegan/any other variation, and what your favourite recipes are! I do have a vegetarian cookbook but I would love to hear your thoughts on different veggie/vegan recipes.

Oh and can any of you recommend a good supermarket veggie burger for barbecuing? :)

Last edited:
I'm pescatarian. I try to avoiding eating any meat as much as I can. I've managed to stop eating the french fancies now! :))

Would love to be vegetarian, but I do enjoy the taste of fish, and it mainly live of it, as well as pasta.
I think vegetarian and vegan are brilliant, I completely agree the reasons for being those. It just upsets me when you see people sniggering when they hear someone is vegetarian/vegan/pescatarian.

I live a 'vegan sympathetic' diet, I guess? I still eat meat, but I incorporate a lot of vegan recipes and substitutes into my daily diet.

This is mainly because I'm lactose intolerant, so vegan alteratives mean I can still make my favourite dishes. Although I really enjoy vegan foods, and many are better than the meat/dairy options!

Since switching to a semi-vegan diet I do try to eat more ethically where I can. However, having had weight issues (I was unhealthily underweight) in the past I'd really rather not cut meat out of my diet for health reasons.

My sister 7 years old is a pescatarian :yikes: she loves salmon and pesto pasta with sweetcorn.
Ooh that sounds delicious, thanks, will have to try that. :)

I'm pescatarian. I try to avoiding eating any meat as much as I can. I've managed to stop eating the french fancies now! :))

Would love to be vegetarian, but I do enjoy the taste of fish, and it mainly live of it, as well as pasta.
I think vegetarian and vegan are brilliant, I completely agree the reasons for being those. It just upsets me when you see people sniggering when they hear someone is vegetarian/vegan/pescatarian.
Agreed, I don't get why people have a problem with someone eating a more enviromentally-friendly diet. And it's kind of annoying when people tease me about it, pointing at some meat and saying "mmmm, meat". Doesn't work on me because I don't like meat, but still annoying. :P The only meat I like is pork pie and bacon but I have still cut those out.
I live a 'vegan sympathetic' diet, I guess? I still eat meat, but I incorporate a lot of vegan recipes and substitutes into my daily diet.

This is mainly because I'm lactose intolerant, so vegan alteratives mean I can still make my favourite dishes. Although I really enjoy vegan foods, and many are better than the meat/dairy options!

Since switching to a semi-vegan diet I do try to eat more ethically where I can. However, having had weight issues (I was unhealthily underweight) in the past I'd really rather not cut meat out of my diet for health reasons.
Sounds good! Over last Christmas I had very bad flu so I did lose more weight than was healthy, and decided not to cut out meat until I was at a normal weight again.

Recently (in the past month or so) I have been having almond milk on my cereal so I have less cow's milk. Most almond milk has carrageenan in it, but the one I drink doesn't, it's "Alpro Almond Unsweetened". It's delicious, and is also fortified with vitamins and calcium. A few days ago we were out of almond milk so I did have some cow's milk on my cereal, but it gave me bad stomach ache probably because I had a bit much in one go when I haven't had that much in a while. To be honest I prefer the almond milk. I still love cheese and other dairy products, so I have those, just no dairy on my cereal. :)

I've been vegetarian for 23 years :)

That's brilliant, I hope to stick to my pescatarian diet. :)

I've been veggie for about 5 years. I'm so close to being vegan, everything I wear, use and buy is cruelty free.
I don't drink milk or eat eggs.
The only thing left to cut out is cheese and sometimes foods containing dairy (like cake mostly) I'm really struggling with the last one but I'll get there!

I'm doing it because I can't the guilt and feel like a hypocrite.
And I watched programme called "earthlings" that will never let me forget why I'm doing it.

Oh my god you were so brave watching Earthlings. I could never do it, but I was already aware of what goes on when I discovered it so no need to watch it really. I have seen the opening credits and that was bad enough. Let me know if you need help with the last few stages. Cake is difficult as there aren't many ready made vegan cakes about, though lots of companies do them to order. Loads of biscuits are vegan hobnobs, dark choc chip hobnobs, oreos, party rings, Fox's dark chocolate chip cookies, jammie dodgers, rich tea, and bourbons. Skittles have just become vegan in the UK too (they already were elsewhere) as they have removed E120. Still some old packets around though.

For milk I really like Koko especially in tea.

I have a restricted diet. I cannot eat any grains, soya or milk. I need lots of protein and unfortunately although I love nuts and beans etc my body cannot cope without animal protein, it is the way my body metabolises food.. I do eat fish, but only when I think it's been responsibly sourced as I am concerned about the eco-system in the seas. I have a friend who keeps chickens and would get more of my protein from those eggs, except that I cannot cope with eggs every day, yet another thing that makes me ill, but at least I can eat some! I also cannot cope with sugar and even small amounts make my heart race and I go dizzy. Luckily I don't have a sweet tooth.
What I do though is eat a very 'clean' diet with little or no processing and cook most of my own meals. The meat I eat is organic where possible as although abuses still happen they do have the best care currently in the industry, though I think even that needs an overhaul in places. I buy my nuts and veggies organically too where possible as I personally think the use of chemicals in farming is as bad as, if not worse, than killing a farm animal in terms of the amount of animal life affected by these chemicals.
I do have to stray from organic at times, but most of my purchases are.
I also stay away from palm oil for ethical reasons unless it states that it has been ethically grown, but as I say I eat very little processed stuff anyway.

I am actually very happy on my restricted diet as I am now much better health-wise and I enjoy the food I eat. The only thing that tempts me is home made bread, which I make for the family, but I know I'll be ill if I eat more than a tiny bit, so I generally don't bother, but having tried to become vegetarian before I personally know that my health would go down-hill. We all process food differently and some of us can utilise and convert different forms of nutrients to varying degrees of effectiveness. Omega 3 oil from flax is slightly different from that from fish, and the oil from krill is actually the closest form to that used by our own bodies. Protein is much the same in terms of how much it varies even amongst types of protein that seem similar at first glance. . And vitamins too - take D for example, there are various types of vitamin D, all similar but people's bodies are different in how well they utilise various types, so not all D is suitable for all humans..... I could go on.

Our bodies cope in different ways, so all I can say is do what's right for your own ethics in what ever way your body will allow :) x

Last edited:
It really gets on my nerves when I refuse to eat chicken and people say 'how can you not eat it'
Well I simply just don't like the taste! Get over it!

I've been pescetarian for just over a year now though I don't eat much fish anyway. I never really liked the taste of most meat and I just stopped eating it one day! The thought of eating some beef or chicken now gives me the creeps a bit, don't think I could stomach it!

Oh my god you were so brave watching Earthlings. I could never do it, but I was already aware of what goes on when I discovered it so no need to watch it really. I have seen the opening credits and that was bad enough. Let me know if you need help with the last few stages. Cake is difficult as there aren't many ready made vegan cakes about, though lots of companies do them to order. Loads of biscuits are vegan hobnobs, dark choc chip hobnobs, oreos, party rings, Fox's dark chocolate chip cookies, jammie dodgers, rich tea, and bourbons. Skittles have just become vegan in the UK too (they already were elsewhere) as they have removed E120. Still some old packets around though.

For milk I really like Koko especially in tea.
I couldn't watch most of it, I had to turn it off. I was shaking and had a panic attack when I watched it. WORKED A TREAT THOUGH, haha. By the next day everything I owned that was cruel was either given away or in the bin. It amazed and horrified me that about 90% of the stuff I owned was cruel. It's insane. And I haven't touched an egg or milk since and because its scarred into the backs of my eyelids I won't stop until I've done it, lol. Skittles are vegan!? I haven't eaten skittles in 5 years! Lol
I think of everything I'm struggling with cheese the most because I seem to use it as a substitute for meat on my plate. I wish vegan cheese wasn't so awful tasting.

I stopped smoking too because of it which was the hardest thing ever.lol

I've been veggie for about 5 years. I'm so close to being vegan, everything I wear, use and buy is cruelty free.
I don't drink milk or eat eggs.
The only thing left to cut out is cheese and sometimes foods containing dairy (like cake mostly) I'm really struggling with the last one but I'll get there!

I'm doing it because I can't the guilt and feel like a hypocrite.
And I watched programme called "earthlings" that will never let me forget why I'm doing it.

There's a vegan/vegetarian cafe in town, Renfrew street just next to the huge fabric store. It's called project café maybe worth a visit. I'm told it has some amazing vegan cakes ;-).

I'm vegetarian, I rely far to much on meat substitutes to bulk up my meals which is a concern. Be interested to know of some vegan alternatives.

I admire vegans, it takes Alot to change a lifestyle but I understand the ethics behind it and why they have made such changes. I think Alot of people don't realise how good vegan food can be!

Earthlings really does work. Has made so many people switch. Yes is a new thing though, keep an ey out for old packets with E120 in. Send me a message with the vegan cheese you have tried, I may be able to suggest some. I found though that I needed at least 6 months off dairy cheese before I could even try it and a lot of people say that.

There is and a cafe called Stereo think they also do Vegan food certainly can get a vegan coffee.

There's a few places in Glasgow to be honest that'll offer a vegan menu. You just need to find them.

The Project café has great feedback. Vegan peanut butter cookies sound awesome. I haven't tried it yet....

They sound lovely.

Am having a think about bulkers, must admit we use a lot of meat replacements too as I struggle to digest pulses due to my IBS. We use tofu, soya chunks and seitan mainly but try to throw in a few grains too.

My main problem is I don't tend to cook from scratch more just throw things together.

Soya chunks, are they like the meat free alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back