• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Any species of Hamster

D

DMS260820

So now i have an empty Gerbilarium. The pets at home largest one to be precise. Is this ok to house a hamster in? Do they like to dig? Because it has a deep base.

And also which species are solitary and which are not? I'm thinking about adopting one in the near future. I would love a robo dwarf but i dont know if it would escape the bars.

This is it 👇View attachment 104438

I believe Syrians are solitary, and Russians and Roborovskis can live in pairs although from experience it’s a bit hit and miss with Russians, especially males.
I’d be worried about using that cage for a hamster simply because of the barred shelf, feet may get caught in it, especially little dwarf hamster feet! I think also that hamster prefer a long cage allowing for space to run around rather that a tall one like a gerbilarium, they will dig and nest somewhat but don’t tunnel like gerbils.
Hope this helps! :)

I'd definitely go bigger. Syrians like a lot of room. Dwarfs have the little feet getting caught issue too but I'd prob only keep one (Dwarf) in that size of cage, they also like to have a lot of space.

They dig a bit but in my experience they like to collect and build a nest rather than burrow in cages, so bigger always better. To stash their goods! :)

Have always used bigger hamster cages with my guys though, not sure if others have used gerbilariums with hammies?

Syrians are solatary, and other breeds can be kept in pairs (only same breed pairs though) however from my research it can be very hit and miss about how long the pairing lasts. And they can all quite happily live alone so I personally wouldn't risk a pair.

In terms of that cage, the depth of the base looks great, particularly for Syrians as they love to dig and burrow, however I would be concerned with the barred shelf, and also, hamsters don't have great depth perception and so although they like to climb, things should be kept fairly low to their ground level for safety reasons. Probably the most important thing to note is the space of the floor. I don't know much about other species, but for a Syrian, the minimum floor space is 100cm by 50cm by 45cm depth (the depth is to allow dee bedding but also prevent escaping if you have an open top, non-barred cage. March last year my boyfriend and I got our first pet, Syrian hamster Nala. She stays at mine, however we put equal money into her care. Although we done plenty of research, we underestimated how high maintenance hamsters are, particularly Syrians. They're incredibly intelligent, demand a lot of space, and constant mental stimulation.

With that cage I would also be concerned about the size wheel you could fit in. Depending of the species of hamster depends on what sized wheel is suitable, but for a Syrian, it is essential for them to have at least a 10 inch wheel, preferably 12 inch, as this prevent any back arching.

This is just a few bits of information that may help you out. Personally, I wouldn't use that cage for permanent living, but it could be used as an interesting extension onto another larger floor space environment

Personally I wouldn't use this for a hamster, the size of space they need is quite big compared to their size. If anything if would be a Robo, but you'd have to get rid of the wired shelves.

I wouldn't have a pair of Robos. My friend had a pair of brothers and they fought after a couple of weeks she had to rehome them both as it put her off having hammies. I took one and he was the most antisocial hamster ever! I would always keep hammies separate.

Be careful with a cage like that. Some hamsters, especially Syrians like to climb. I once had a Syrian that used to play money bars but the cage was only shallow so she didn’t fall far. A friend of mine had a Syrian in a tall cage. He monkey barred from the top but fell and broke his back :(

So now i have an empty Gerbilarium. The pets at home largest one to be precise. Is this ok to house a hamster in? Do they like to dig? Because it has a deep base.

And also which species are solitary and which are not? I'm thinking about adopting one in the near future. I would love a robo dwarf but i dont know if it would escape the bars.

This is it 👇View attachment 104438
If the metal bars are too far apart, robo hamsters will escape. Robos will fight until blood is drawn and this is true between brothers as well. I wouldn't force hamsters to be housed together. They are solitary and will happily live way over their life span alone in a cage. My Humphrey, a robo hamster lived to 4.5 years of age all on his own in his large cage. Humphrey, love you always, RIP.

I currently have 6 robo hamsters and they all live seperatly in 6 different cages. After Humphrey died last year, Ben is now the oldest at 3 years of age, and he lives on his own. They will be distressed living with another one and I don't want to stress them so they all live alone.

Thanks.for all the info. If i do rehome a hamster itl b solo☺👍 ive only ever had syrians

I have had many pets while growing up.
I loved all the birds, frogs, cats, dogs, fish, turtles, and etc. who helped through my teenage years through adulthood. Currently, I just have 8 pets, 2 guinea pigs and 6 hamsters.

From what I'm reading in the replies its not big enough for any small rodent. My male pair of gerbils have the same gerbilairum and are fine and not over weight or anything. The picture make it look crap to be fair, i put the depth of woodshaving all the way up to the brim of the plastic so that there are no falls and i put loads of wood and cardboard in. It fits a wheel that has no gaps for foot i injuries or tail. Its one of those silent wheels.

When you read it sais savic small pet cage, its meaning cage for small pets. I wouldnt ever dream of going smaller than this

Theres a gerbil in the adoption part at pets at home called samsun, looks like a female, but is alone, looks young though. I'm not ready to move on yet though.

I have decided against a hamster. I know gerbils too well now 😜

Noooooooooooooo don't do it! I know LOTS of people who believed that Russian dwarves can live in pairs and discovered the bloody truth (not swearing) when the hormones kicked in a few months later. They are lovely on their own though, they enjoy human company and are brilliant at potty-training.

Dont worry people, i didnt say i was going to get a pair of hamsters lol . I'm just making sure i dont get a solo animal thats meant to be in a pair. Learning from my first mistake with guinea pigs 👍

All my past hamsters when i was a kid were solo

Dont worry people, i didnt say i was going to get a pair of hamsters lol . I'm just making sure i dont get a solo animal thats meant to be in a pair. Learning from my first mistake with guinea pigs 👍

All my past hamsters when i was a kid were solo
If you do decide to ultimately get a hamster, it's probably best to research into the individual species you're after. Until then, just enjoy your piggies 🤣☺️

If you do decide to ultimately get a hamster, it's probably best to research into the individual species you're after. Until then, just enjoy your piggies 🤣☺️
I'm really enjoying the pigs at the moment, everytime i russle a bag , Dot runs over to Bernie and sniff his mouth to make sure she hasnt been left out, but its only me eating a bag of crisps and rustling

I have two spare cages in the loft and really want a hamster to live in one of those cages but hubby says no :(
Why do they say that? :hmm: Mine says that I can't have a hammy too. :soz: He wouldn't have to clean it out, look after it or anything that would be my job just as it is with the piggies.

Back