• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Any tips on cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a ferplast cage 140 and i find it really difficult cleaning the base of it because it is so big. It doesnt fit under my tap and i have been doing it using a jug but i dont think it gets it very clean. How do other people clean their ferplast cages?

Before we had the indoor hutch our girls were housed in something similar in size. To give it the thorough once a week clean it used to go into the bath and be scrubbed and then rinsed under the shower.

I've got a ferplast 120 and all I do is the following;
I empty everything out and then I wipe it out with hot soapy water and then a spray of vinegar. I then leave it for a bit and wipe round with a dry cloth. Everything then goes back in ready to see how soon my two can make a mess of it all!

Thankyou i never thought about using the shower! silly me haha will be doing that from now on! :)

I have an old vacuum cleaner that I use to hoover out all the dry hay, fur and poo debris (it;s dry because I use incopads underneath the fleece) .....then I spray on a disinfectant (Johnsons cage cleaner or make up virkon or trigene in a spray bottle), leave for 10 mins and then wipe off with a damp cloth, re-wipe twice with a fresh damp cloth and finally dry with kitchen towels.

For thorough decontamination owing to fungal or mites......then it's out in the garden with bleach and then the hosepipe.

I too have used the bath with overhead shower on a couple of occasions :)

HTH
x

The shower is a good idea.lol I didnt think of that either. I have been coverring my kitchen floor in newspaper take out the dirty paper shavings and hay(including poops galore) then sweeping out the rest of the tray, then cleaning it with warm soapy water and pet disinfectant.
My piggies hate it as well.

The way i was doing it is using a hand shovel to get everything about then spraying cage and hutch cleaner on it and using a jug to rinse it off. I dont think it was the best way to do it haha :))

haha I feel smug! I have always used the bath for a deep weekly clean! They had fleece or vet bed, with dry nights pads under so always clean and dry anyway! But do change mid week, then deep clean once a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back