• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Any tips to fatten up a senior piggy after weight loss?

amiloux

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys, so Daisy our 5 year old nearly 6 piggy has had a few health problems lately but has come out of them back to full health, she has had bloat and then teeth issues, she had stopped eating all together and her poos were soft and so watery but now they are back to normal but before her health issues she weighed about 921g same weight she has weighed for about a year but since her issues she’s down to 810g, she is eating fine now as after her bloat we introduced veggies back slowly one by one, we are feeding her 1ml of fibreplex 3 times a day but is there anything we can feed her to try and put some weight back on or will it be hard for her being an older piggy?, thank you in advance :)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
We’re you syringe feeding her when she was poorly? You can help her by continuing to offer syringe feeds to stop her from losing weight, you can then reduce them down she is definitely eating enough hay for herself but perhaps with odd top up syringe feeds a couple of times a day or by putting some critical care in a bowl in the cage for her to eat.
add some oats in a little dish is also good for giving piggies a bit of a boost

amiloux

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, sorry yes we syringe fed her for about two months every day, sorry should have said that in the post, we are still giving her about 10ml a day off a spoon which she happily eats compared to when she was poorly haha! would the oats be safe for her to eat after her bloat?

Little Ones

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
An older piggy definitely won’t put weight back on as fast as they lost it! My Little (6 years old) lost a lot of weight following two jaw abscesses earlier this year, he never really gained it back at all. Perhaps a 100 grams at best? He’s now 200 grams lighter than he started off as. What we do is give him an unlimited amount of the large porridge oats as they’re quite good at keeping weight up. I don’t know if this makes a difference, but we give him the orchard grass hay from the Timothy hay website too. We switched to the regular Timothy hay a month or two ago and noticed a decline in weight so we changed it back. But then, he may find the soft orchard grass easier to eat as he no longer has his bottom incisors. Little eats really well overall though. I don’t think there’s a specific way to help a guinea pig put weight on aside from feeding porridge oats and top up feeding when you think they need it. I’m interested to see what other responses say, though.
If she’s still continuing to lose weight after becoming healthy again, I’d be worried there was an underlying issue going on still. Once Little’s problems were sorted, he maintained his small weight rather than continued losing it. A loss of about 30 grams in a day isn’t anything to worry about though. But overall, I wouldn’t expect her to be losing a drastic amount of weight now that she’s healthy again so if you’re noticing a large decline it could be something more. If she’s healthy, eating and maintaining weight then that’s the main thing.

Porridge oats shouldn’t affect bloat at all as far as I’m aware

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with @Little Ones. She definitely won’t put it back on as fast or necessarily at all. You want to be at a point where she is no longer losing and then seeing any gain from then on as a positive thing.
oats should be fine

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
We like to feed grated sweet potato with porridge oats as a tasty weight gain food after illness, you dont need a lot but it packs on the grams. Obviously be careful introducing new foods after bloat but we've never had any issues feeding this to Puggle who had ongoing bloat issues for several months, she was always slim but with recurrent bloat we were down to wavering about 700g at one point... I remember how happy I was when she hit 800g, now she is a chubby 1040g!
Readigrass is a good hay type bulk up food too which is very safe for bloaty pigs and more calorie rich and tempting that ordinary hay. Though obviously feed lots of ordinary hay too, can never have too much hay especially with a bloaty pig :)