anybody know about piggy puberty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piglet_and_rogers_mama

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two boars, Piglet who is roughly 4 months (based on the vet's estimation) and Roger, who we think is a little bit younger based on his weight and testicular development. I was wondering what the normal pubescent behavior in boars is. I've been searching the internet, and have found only vague answers.
Piglet is much more dominant than Roger. He struts around and rumbles, and "humps" poor Roger until he squeaks in submission. Piglet seems to be grumpy more often than not (or what i perceive as grumpiness). He rumbles at me when he is pet, he gets stroppy with Roger for know reason that I can see, (on another note, which i have considered to be a factor in his behavior, is that our vet is treating him for ringworm. I know that this causes itchiness, but i dont know if that is a factor in his persistent moodiness).
Annnnyway, I was wondering if pubescent piggies are stroppy, how long his moodiness should last (if it does coinside with his hormones), and when is puberty over? Like i said, he's about 4 months old. Roger is close to that age, and he is growing testicles, but he is much friendlier and happier than Piglet. Soooo idk what to think. Any opinions? Sorry for making this so long :)

thanks guys,
Lauren

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
The big hormones usually last roughly from about 4-12 months until they have; they can start a bit earlier and sometimes the boys can get into trouble afterwards. Full size/adulthood is reached sometime between 12-15 months and that is when the hormones usually settle down again.

Many people experience a spike between 3-6 months old when the hormones wake up and again between 8-10 months old when they seem to be at their wildest, but problems can happen at any time and behaviours/problems vary according to the constellation of characters and the ages involved.

Rumbling and mounting is mild dominance behaviour; a piggy can also rumble at a human to try out to which extent they can assert dominance over him. Ringworm is not pleasant and won't help his overall mood.

Here is more about boar behaviour and how to rate it:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36239

Status
Not open for further replies.