Anyone a vet nurse or know one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was researching studying vet nursing in England today and got some good info from BSAVA but it was a bit confusing.

I was rushing reading it, but from what I gathered, you can do a normal 3 or 4 year course in university, but you can also do a 2 year diploma where you work in a practice and get trained there and some practices pay you, but some don't. Has anyone done this or know about this?

I read all about what the course entails, and everything, but just wondering things like what the fees are and do you actually get paid in most places, or not in most places? Also is it hard to get into and hard to get placements? Do many places do this course?

Thanks if anyone has any info anyway :)

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I'm not a vet nurse, but I got accepted to do a degree in Veterinary Nursing a couple years ago however turned it down as I wasn't sure it was what I wanted to do. Getting into university isn't that hard, however I've heard not so great things about the people at the Royal Veterinary College. You can train on the job, sort of like an apprenticeship however placements to do this are VERY hard to find/get as they're very sought after (I know this as I tried for a year). I'm not sure if all places pay you however it takes at least two years to train. Some go to university as they like to do the theory whlie others train on the job as they prefer getting stuck in.

This job isn't as glamorous as it may seem, there's a lot of cleaning involved and some not very nice people in some practices. Might be worth doing some work experience and seeing what you think? There's also variation in big/little surgeries, I've worked at a huge referral clinic and a small independant surgery and they're soo different.
Good luck :) Hope this helps.

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

I've been working with my vet for nearly a year now and I love it, mainly because she's really really nice. I know it wouldn't be so fun if the other staff weren't very nice to you. But I do love it :)

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My university in Gloucestershire has a vet nursing course. I don't know much about it though. I could try and find out for you though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.