Anyone been to Mull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am planning to go to the Isle of Mull in April with my sister to hopefully see and photograph the wildlife. Has anyone been here before? If so what did you see and did you have to look really hard for it? The place we might be staying is right on the shore and is regularly visited by otters :<> I love otters.

My grandparents went there a few years ago and didn't even see the sea eagles. I was wondering if the websites that tell me that I'm going to see loads of animals are actually right.

MerryPip

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mull is beautiful. i have been a couple of times and went for a week last June.

If photographing wildlife is your thing you must do a boat trip to Lunga & Staffa from Ffionphort. It's a 2-3 hour trip and you get to spend an hour on Lunga with the puffins and other see birds. The puffins are so un bothered about human presence that they come really close and pose for fabulous shots. Do realise they are not tame puffins - this is a wild colony on an uninhabited island that is only visited for and hour or so a day in holiday seasons. I

It was a fabulous experience and one me and my partner loved. There are seal and whale spotting trips too which might be worth a look and you are certain to spot buzzards, sea birds, rabbits, seals and pleanty of sheep maybe with the odd golden eagle or sea eagle thrown in.

A brilliant place for holidays especially if the weather is good.

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's lovely as long as you don't mind scenery being the only thing to do :))

There are loads of animals but you'll be lucky to see a lot of them, especially otters and sea eagles. There are buzzards all over Scotland at the moment so without a doubt you'll see loads of these.

happysaz133

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes I have been there, it is very beautiful, but as with all the Scottish islands, there's not a whole lot to do once you have seen all the wildlife, scenery and Tobermory of course!

There's seals which are easy to find in the harbours/coast, birds of prey are easy to spot on walks, and on the ferry there you could see dolphins and porpoises. Otters can be a bit harder to spot, but look for mounds with poo on top, usually a sure sign of otters!

hippoman

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Take a couple of hours and check out the Geograph website before you go. Lots of people will have found and photographed things which interested them and everything is accurately recorded with map coordinates so you can find it (if you have an Ordnance Survey map). Good if the weather makes nature-watching impractical.

Also Google " isle of mull wildlife" as you might find websites that have the latest sightings; very handy if you've got Internet access on your mobile phone. Mind you the reception might be a bit thin once you get out of the towns so do the research beforehand.

Hope the weather is kind to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.