• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Anyone else got a rabbit like this?!

Doragon

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve mentioned Chappy here before, and I’m doing it again :P This rabbit will be the death of me!

We all know she likes to throw strops, I don’t think she’ll ever be tame enough to cuddle and handle, pretty much given up hope. Some hope was formed yesterday as she hopped over to come see me, so I petted her head and she relaxed....before promptly biting me hard and turboing off! Bless. I still love her, even though she’s ahem....a nightmare, and I think I’ll be sticking to piggies form now on XD.

She likes to have days where she completely and utterly decides eating isn’t for her? She’s defintely not under the weather, just watched her pee and poop absolutely fine, and she did snark and bite my hand as normal when giving her evening veg. She’s never been a huge fan of most fruit and veg, she only eats carrots, lettuce (small amounts, of course!), and occasionally cucumber if she’s in the mood. Otherwise, she despises everything else! Giving her celery and pepper tonight in the hopes she’ll take it, but I doubt it. She literally survives off nuggets, despite me limiting them, she never has and probably never will eaten hay at this point. Tried every variety under the sun and nothing at all! Only way I’ve found that sometimes (5/10) works, is by throwing it into a roll around toy and she tears it out of there. Doesn’t eat grass, either! I’m wondering if it was how she was brought up.

Anyway, anyone else panic when they just decide eating isn’t for them?! She’s done this a few times before now, and she’s in the vets regularly for teeth check (due to not eating hay) and her nails trimmed, as it takes 4 vets to do it.... :oops:. But they’ve been checking her over every time too and she’s healthy! She’s just....a diva.

I’m going gray over this rabbit, I tell you :))
A5F65D82-5189-4413-8FFD-F9CF5D0E2C15.jpeg:wel:

She is a beautiful rabbit even if she is a diva.

My first question is does she have a 'normal' companion.
I only ask as we took on a 3 year old rescue rabbit who had had very limited exposure to hay in his life. He was fed hay occsionally in a piggy size cermaic feeding bowl, so when intially presented with hay rack and huge piles of hay he simply had no idea what to do with it.
We took on a young rabbit from a great environment, and he rally did learn a lot simply by watching her more 'normal' reactions to everything.
We have had him for over a year now and it still makes me smile when he buries himself in a large pile of hay and starts munching away.

She is a beautiful rabbit even if she is a diva.

My first question is does she have a 'normal' companion.
I only ask as we took on a 3 year old rescue rabbit who had had very limited exposure to hay in his life. He was fed hay occsionally in a piggy size cermaic feeding bowl, so when intially presented with hay rack and huge piles of hay he simply had no idea what to do with it.
We took on a young rabbit from a great environment, and he rally did learn a lot simply by watching her more 'normal' reactions to everything.
We have had him for over a year now and it still makes me smile when he buries himself in a large pile of hay and starts munching away.

Sadly, at this moment in time she does not have a companion. We’ve tried, but she’s so aggressive that every single attempt so far has gone to nothing. I’m scared to bring a baby in though, just in case of behaviour - I don’t want the baby to learn her aggressive behaviour, you know?

She’s been neutered now too, so I can also consider a Male. Another issue is the lack of space for the much bigger cage two rabbits will need - absolutely no idea where to put it! Me and Mum are working on it, as Chappy is a huge rabbit who needs an upgrade anyway. We had an idea to concert a shed into a rabbit hutch, and attach a sliding door that leads to the grass outside, as well as getting a proper gate and fence installed to the top of the garden so she can roam free during the day.

However, I do want to try your bowl theory - I don’t think she was ever fed from a hay rack. I’m wondering if I try and pop it into a bowl she‘ll go for it. Hm.

Meanwhile, we’re working on the other things! She’s a big bun at about 3kg, and bless her, her cage while big, isn’t too big for her! It’s just having the money and time to completely covert a shed, as we’re not entirely sure on how to do that yet, bless her! A few times I’ve wondered if it’s worth rehoming her - I love her to pieces, and I don’t want to seem like I’m giving up, I just...she’s my first rabbit and I don’t think I’m experienced enough to deal with her behaviour, but we have made some steps! I have to use gloves to get her out of her hutch, but when she’s out I can give her a good cuddle. It just seems she’s extremely territorial.

I’m also considering the house rabbit option, I think that would be good for both her aggression and space. Mum’s all for it, provided she can only have run of the kitchen, downstairs....hall....landing thing and the dining room, but we’d need to rabbit proof the place and then make sure she’s litter trained. She goes in one spot alright, she just hates litter trays! Xx

Is she spayed?

If you can't afford bigger accommodation for her, I would definately have her freeranging in the house, especially as she is on her own.

What a gorgeous rabbit! I have 6 rabbits. 4 outdoor (shed and run set up) and 2 indoor (in the dining room).

All of them have 32 litre underbed storage boxes as hay trays with magazine racks for extra hay. All have fresh grass and forage at this time of year. How frustrating for you that she wont eat hay or grass!

kcb7ls.jpg

334rhnr.jpg

wv8hf9.jpg

I used to have an indoor rabbit that had the opportunity to go out into the garden as he pleased and roam around the living room. He ate my curtains, sofa, skirting boards and carpet along with other things. I loved him to bits but after a relationship break up my new home could not give him the space that he was used 2 so I had to rehome him taking into account his best interests :soz: he now lives with 1 of my work mates so I still get to hear about his latest mischief making! He wouldn't tolerate another rabbit either I did try but he wasn't having any of it.

Awesome looking rabbit. That pic though.... looks like an optical illusion. Like it was separated in a magician's act gone horribly wrong.

Sorry for late reply! Exams!

She is spayed! (And bit every single vet, I might know...) and I think for the time being, I’d like to attempt to make her an indoor rabbit. Anyone have any tips on litter training her? So far she’s just thrown the litter box upside down!

Back