• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Anyone else got chickens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countrylass

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've got 12 adult chooks and 4 chicks who are 7 weeks old. I had my first three round about the same time as I had Sweep (March this year) and like piggies I find them hugely addictive :) My dominant hen Maud is feeling abit sorry for herself at the moment as she's moulting and she smells abit funky too. I adore Kelloggs my pint sized RSPCA cockerel and he's getting on with Rufus my gigantic private rescue cockerel alot better than when they first met. I probably shouldn't have laughed at the time but it was funny when Kelloggs ducked between Rufus' legs to get away from him :))

Ooo 12! :o I love chickens they are such intelligant and funny little creatures, my mum in law had four, one gorgeous cockerel who was huge Charlie, and three hens (two from battery) unfortantly a fox got in and killed Charlies sister they had grown up together from hatching and had badly scared him, he died week later :( We just got the two hens now, and keeping a wary eye out for any foxs. The two hens are lovely girls, one called Catchick thinks shes a cat! heehe! :))

We had chickens...we had 12 at one point. Unfortunately a day or 2 after getting them my husky x managed to find a way into the pen...then there were 11 :(. We had a cockerel at one point too, but he lasted a week then died of pneumonia...in the middle of summer...in Spain rolleyes. Poor thing. Only cost us 12 euros, but the vet bill to treat him was 40 :o We never told my dad :x I do like chooks...our lead hen was called Marjorie, I also named one Frizzle (she was a cool chook!) and many more...my family always wondered how I knew which was which, but you can always tell (or I can). They all have different colours and personalities. I don't think I could tell the difference between my grandparents though...they have over 100 :o

We have about 30 or more - roughly 3 cockerals and the rest hens .. oh and a guinea fowl

I LOVE guinea fowl. We had a male and a female at one point. The male was very protective and used to attack my dog if he went near her :)), but he got a bit too close one night and smothered her :(. He also ended up in the swimming pool in the middle of winter one day, so got wrapped in a towel in front of the heater until he warmed up :)) silly thing. Was quite funny though bless him. He did recover ok.

I have 6 hens and a cockerel. The hens are ex battery, they have lots of character and it's lovely to see them get over the shock of daylight and fresh air. I did have 11 of them but they're gradually leaving me for chicken heaven. :( I can feel another rescue coming on. :)

We have some but they are english game fowl (something like that?) i stay away from them and keep to my piggies! My other half enjoys showing them in Feb time, so more and more keep getting added when I'm not looking rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back