Anyone had a bag-less Asda delivery?

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so today I did my first ever online grocery shop with Asda.
It will be delivered to someone else (sadly they haven't quite made it to Switzerland yet).
Normally I take my own cloth bags to the supermarket, so I initially selected the bag less option for this delivery becasue I would never use bags from a supermarket.

However when I checked their website I couldn't find much information on how your shopping actually comes if you select the bag less option. So I added bags at the last minute as I envisioned a pile of items being randomly strewn across their doorstep!

Has anyone done this and if so how is the shopping delivered?
This will be a repeat order in the future and I would love to avoid bags if possible, but also don't want to make life a chaotic nightmare for the recipient.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
If it’s like Tesco, the groceries arrive at your house in a van in large plastic trays. The trays are stacked up on your doorstep while you empty them into your house. If it’s bag less then the items are loose in the trays. If it’s bagged then the items are in bags in the tray. But not bagged as you or I might bag them. Oh no, you can get 20 items in a bag or multiple bags with single items in. It’s all a bit random.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @VickiA
I am sure the recipient wouldn't appreciate the bag less option if it is anything like you describe :yikes:
Surely there should be a better 3rd option (reusable cardboard box)?

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @VickiA
I am sure the recipient wouldn't appreciate the bag less option if it is anything like you describe :yikes:
Surely there should be a better 3rd option (reusable cardboard box)?
Tesco have today delivered to me in a new format. One new thin plastic bag the size and shape of the crate. Items laid out and stacked sensibly in that one bag. Made unpacking the crates much quicker, And apparently they will collect the plastic crate bags next time and take them away for recycling.

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If it’s like Tesco, the groceries arrive at your house in a van in large plastic trays. The trays are stacked up on your doorstep while you empty them into your house. If it’s bag less then the items are loose in the trays. If it’s bagged then the items are in bags in the tray. But not bagged as you or I might bag them. Oh no, you can get 20 items in a bag or multiple bags with single items in. It’s all a bit random.
This is what happened with my Tesco delivery, they brought it in large plastic trays and you empty them into your house. didn’t expect it lol :)

eileen

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
i have had click and collect from Tescoes this evening ! as Vicki states they came in crates that were lined with a plastic liner.i had to take the items out and load into the car ! usually it was packed in bags and one bag could have one item in,one had none,others were piled up with goods over spilling! i will be glad when covid has ceased and can shop normally !

Zanzan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Last week my friend had an Asda delivery while she was out but her husband was home to accept it. She got home to find the food piled up inside the front door....he said he wasn't sure where she wanted to put it!

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
OK, so today I did my first ever online grocery shop with Asda.
It will be delivered to someone else (sadly they haven't quite made it to Switzerland yet).
Normally I take my own cloth bags to the supermarket, so I initially selected the bag less option for this delivery becasue I would never use bags from a supermarket.

However when I checked their website I couldn't find much information on how your shopping actually comes if you select the bag less option. So I added bags at the last minute as I envisioned a pile of items being randomly strewn across their doorstep!

Has anyone done this and if so how is the shopping delivered?
This will be a repeat order in the future and I would love to avoid bags if possible, but also don't want to make life a chaotic nightmare for the recipient.
My daughter got an Asda bagless delivery for my old Mum... not the best idea for an old lady with a walking frame who takes 15 minutes to shuffle to the kitchen and can only carry 1 item at once! In the end the delivery man brought the shopping trays through to the kitchen and unpacked them for her, but I dont think they are supposed to do that, especially now...

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wish Ocado would move to bag less! I used to do bagless with Sainsbury’s and didn’t find it to bad doing the mad dash from crate to kitchen! Since lockdown I must have about 200 carrier bags stuffed in a cupboard waiting to be collecting which finally starts again next week! :yahoo:

Katsycakes

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We do bag less and we tend to just grab those huge canvas bags for life and pop them by the front door so when the driver arrives it’s just a case of transferring everything from crates to bags. I don’t actually think it’s much worse than before as I also used to have the experience where you’d have single items in each bag and half the items would have fallen out of the bags and into the crate anyway

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I wish Ocado would move to bag less! I used to do bagless with Sainsbury’s and didn’t find it to bad doing the mad dash from crate to kitchen! Since lockdown I must have about 200 carrier bags stuffed in a cupboard waiting to be collecting which finally starts again next week! :yahoo:
Yes I wish ocado would go bagless too, I get a small ocado order about once a fortnight because they have a good selection of veggie/vegan luxury items and nice piggy salad mixes, and all the "free from" items for my gluten-and-dairy allergic little nephew!
If I want bagless from Asda I just send piggy daddy there in the car with all his trusty reusable canvas bags, we have a big asda superstore about a mile away :)

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone - I was worried it was a really stupid question.

The delivery is actually to my daughters boarding house at school, and contains about 500 pot noodles becasue apparently this is the current 'delicacy' of choice.
Chances are she won't actually be there when the order arrives, so I am quite glad I opted for bags as I can't imagine the house parents would be thrilled to have to drag all those pot noodles along to her dorm!

I have however sent her strict instructions to save all the plastic bags so we can return or recycle them asap.