• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Anyone have tips for removing clothing marks?

Lady Kelly

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feel this is going to be an impossible question but am asking everywhere in the hope someone can help me. I brought a dress as hardly any of my old clothes are breastfeeding friendly. It wasn't expensive in the grand scheme of things but I'm now on statutory maternity pay so my personal income has dropped over £1000 per month so everything feels expensive.

I love the dress and put it on yesterday. I then dropped chicken on it after wearing it a couple of hours so nipped upstairs, got changed and popped it in soak with some oxi action then popped it in the washing machine with some other bits in hope that the grease came out. Popped it on the line to dry and it's been threatening to rain so brought it in and notice 3 light marks which look like it's been bleached (but it's been no where near bleach).

Please someone tell me that my brand new clothing isn't completely ruined?
IMG_20200615_164346.jpg

Are those marks where the chicken grease was? The only thing I can think of is that either the marks were already there (?) Or the Oxy action reacted with the fabric (i think some are stronger than others) but no idea why it would just be blobs and not a total fade.
I'm certainly no expert but in the absence of anyone else coming along with a solution (and if it were me) I would buy some dylon in the same colour & run it through the machine. It depends on the material though so you'd need to check first and theres no guarantee the blobs will dye evenly but it may be worth a try.
I've dyed tonnes of stuff and this is very easy to use. More often than not I've dyed things darker as it definately takes better.
Hope that helps & hope you get some more ideas!

Are those marks where the chicken grease was? The only thing I can think of is that either the marks were already there (?) Or the Oxy action reacted with the fabric (i think some are stronger than others) but no idea why it would just be blobs and not a total fade.
I'm certainly no expert but in the absence of anyone else coming along with a solution (and if it were me) I would buy some dylon in the same colour & run it through the machine. It depends on the material though so you'd need to check first and theres no guarantee the blobs will dye evenly but it may be worth a try.
I've dyed tonnes of stuff and this is very easy to use. More often than not I've dyed things darker as it definately takes better.
Hope that helps & hope you get some more ideas!

Oddly enough it's no where near the chicken, these are on the top of the back. Will look at dyes I think. Hubby said to just buy another but, apart from not being able to afford it, it's just so wasteful and I'm really trying my best to cut down the waste we produce

How odd. Was there anything in the machine that had come in contact with bleach (eg a cloth)? I think I’d be tempted to try a machine dye, too.

Is it the first time you’ve washed it? You could return it as faulty if it is?

How odd. Was there anything in the machine that had come in contact with bleach (eg a cloth)? I think I’d be tempted to try a machine dye, too.

No nothing. I had done a nappy wash earlier so that's a rinse cycle, full 60 degree wash, and another rinse to ensure all the detergent is gone. So the machine would have been very clean and it was just a few bits of clothing in.

Is it the first time you’ve washed it? You could return it as faulty if it is?

Hmm I might try emailing the company. They had really good customer service last time I spoke to them

No nothing. I had done a nappy wash earlier so that's a rinse cycle, full 60 degree wash, and another rinse to ensure all the detergent is gone. So the machine would have been very clean and it was just a few bits of clothing in.

Hmm I might try emailing the company. They had really good customer service last time I spoke to them
Yes definately try them first & failing that the dying route....although its dangerous territory. Once I got started on dying things nothing was safe 😂 good luck!

ok for a normal stain... the lady who works in my local launderette swears by Fairy Washing up liquid... She said its the only thing that always gets stains out BUT on your dress it does look like a bleach patch... I know this as i have splashed bleached on several items of my own clothing :whistle:

I would go for the ' just got this dress and when i got home I noticed these strange marks on it '.........

Thanks all, my mum visited today (seamstress by trade) and despite her poor eyesight she found lots of blue lines on it too that are definitely not bleach as well as more light patches and believes the item is faulty that there was either something already on the fabric or some fault with the fabric so I am going to email them to see what can be done

Thanks all, my mum visited today (seamstress by trade) and despite her poor eyesight she found lots of blue lines on it too that are definitely not bleach as well as more light patches and believes the item is faulty that there was either something already on the fabric or some fault with the fabric so I am going to email them to see what can be done
Good luck!

It sounds like faulty fabric to me especially if you have not been near bleach. I’d take it back

Excellent news, I have been talking to the company and have a free returns label from them. They have offered to check stock and send a new one out too which I'm going for as I love the dress but worried it will happen again. 3rd time lucky (1st time their size guide is massively out and despite ordering a size that should have been snug it was like wearing a tent :)))

That's great! Not sure even a good size tent would have fit me after having my babies 😂.
Glad its sorted x

Back