• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

anyone own a donkey? worming question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i think my donkey has worms, his belly is huge and round :(..we've had him 6 months (he is 4 years old) and i have yet to worm him..now reading up on it i should have done it 3 months ago....eeek!

anyhow i got some wormer paste (bimectin) and it says i have to give 0.2mg of the paste per 1kg body weight......but i have NO idea how much he weighs!! how the heck do you weigh a donkey?

You need to buy a weight tape - I have one that I use on my two horses for when I worm them .. or just use a rough idea. How big is he in hands?

I cant really help without his height. Donkeys arent exactly big, he's probably about 200kg but that is just a guess.

how do you measure in hands? and where do i measure? (foot to shoulder, foot to head, foot to ear tips?

Please do not worm without weight taping. If I were you I wouldn't worm at all yet, I would send off a sample of his poop for a worm count to see how many and what kinds of worms there are in there. Then they can advise the best wormer for your boy. Lots of worms are now becoming resiliant to wormers due to overuse and improper administration.

Take a look at http://www.westgatelabs.co.uk/ for more info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back