• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Anyone suffer with frequent headaches/migraines?

Hannah_xx

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Australia, Victoria. (originally from Essex, UK)
Hello everyone!

I’m just wondering if anyone else suffers from quite frequent headaches?
I’m SO sick of feeling ill so often. I go through fazes where I get headaches most days of the week for a few weeks at a time. And they get quite bad, really pounding often behind the eyes. Other days it’s just a dull headache that lurks but doesn’t come to much.
Last Thursday I woke up feeling terrible, my head was throbbing, the worst headache I’ve ever had. Ended up going back to bed, phoning the doctors to cancel an appointment I had that day about another issue (Thankfully they offered a phone appointment instead). I couldn’t even go on my phone much as it was hurting my eyes, And I was even sick! That’s the first time I’ve ever thrown up due to a migraine!
It took me a good couple of days to regain my strength and feel okay.
Today I had yet another day of having a constant and quite bad headache which made work quite a struggle.

I also suffer with being tired a lot but went to the doctor about that a few months ago, Turns out I was anemic and been on iron tablets since. But my iron has gone back up now which is good.
But I still struggle with just lacking in energy and then having a headache on top of that most days, just makes me feel so pathetic all the time.
I’ve tried so hard the past few day’s to make sure I’m drinking and eating better but doesn’t seem to have made much of a difference. But I do feel I need to sort my diet out massively.. it’s quite likely that’s half my problem.

Just wondered if anyone else has Regular headaches and if they knew why?

Sorry to hear you have these so regularly. I don’t have experience but just wanted to offer support. Have the doctors checked for what could be causing them? Have you had an eye test done to rule that out? And is there anything you can think of that triggers it? Hope you can get some answers soon, it does sound really unpleasant being in pain like that, and feeling tired. Maybe the tiredness is a side effect of the migraines? 🤷🏾‍♀️

Sorry to hear you have these so regularly. I don’t have experience but just wanted to offer support. Have the doctors checked for what could be causing them? Have you had an eye test done to rule that out? And is there anything you can think of that triggers it? Hope you can get some answers soon, it does sound really unpleasant being in pain like that, and feeling tired. Maybe the tiredness is a side effect of the migraines? 🤷🏾‍♀️

Thank you! Feel silly posting about it on TGPF but it’s always the best place to chat to others!
I have been thinking lately that I should go for an eye test to see if that could be the issue.
I haven’t spoke to the doctors about my headaches yet actually.. I usually never go to the doctors about things, but feel like I’ve been so much lately! But that’s been regarding ..female problems..and had a hospital procedure recently.
In fact maybe my headaches are related.. hmm perhaps I should talk to my doctor about them! Just feel so silly..

Please don’t feel silly. It’s better to go and find nothing is wrong than wait and worry. Do try and see your doc soon and don’t talk down the symptoms either.

As for posting here, if you feel comfortable doing so then go ahead. It’s a GP forum but also a place for people to chat about other things.

Are you having to go into work?

I used to suffer from terrible migraines once a month it's all hormone related. Then I suffered from them at other times too mainly when I was overtired.. I think the Dr called them non-specific sporadic headaches (a migraine is NOT a headache but there you go). I was having acupuncture for an unrelated problem and mentioned the migraines to my acupuncturist. He told me he could cure them and he did and that was a good few years ago. Not had a bad one since! It's amazing what a few needles and a couple of glass cups on the back can do!

My friend had a peicing done somewhere on her ear in the top part and she said it's really helped with her migraines. Apparently it's a common thing to have done to help with them x

I am currently suffering with what I think are hormonal migraines, 3 weeks out of 4 I'm generally ok but the week my period is due I can have a headache for the best part of that week, sometimes it's a constant dull pain, which leaves me tired etc or it is pounding and not much in the way of painkillers helps, no matter what I take to keep going. I have found that, as much as I dislike it, I have to take something every 4 hours to keep it at a bearable level, especially when I was at work, when it's at its worst I have to take something much stronger I've bought over the counter and head to bed. (Paramol or Syndol)
It's worth having an eye test, I now have a mild distance prescription which I can use when tired or headachy, as well as a reading prescription.
I'm hoping for an appointment so I can discuss with my GP and maybe go back onto a contraceptive to help balance my hormones and help with headaches. Without being too personal if you're taking a contraceptive that may be worth looking at too?
I'm not personally keen to take too many painkillers or to go back onto a contraceptive but I can't continue how I am so I feel your pain, they are so draining and there is nothing worse than waking up each morning and trying to decide if your head is ok or not.

I used to get frequent bouts of migraines lasting weeks. Mine normally exacerbated when I was stressed but are very rare these days. I’m not saying the cause of yours is the same Hannah but you have had a lot of changes and sadness in the last year. May I suggest that if you do feel stressed to look at how you manage it e.g mindfulness, deep breathing exercises etc. My savour (and I’m not suggesting that it may work for everyone) was having massage therapy and using aromatherapy. I subsequently did 4 diploma’s in complementary therapies . Diet may be another issue. For example excess Cheese and too much caffeine can contribute to headache. Take time to explore different options to see what works best for you. There are prescribed medications available so that’s another option perhaps for the short term. If you are taking any other meds do look at the side effects and if migraine is a contradiction talk to your GP. I hope you get it sorted. X

I am currently suffering with what I think are hormonal migraines, 3 weeks out of 4 I'm generally ok but the week my period is due I can have a headache for the best part of that week, sometimes it's a constant dull pain, which leaves me tired etc or it is pounding and not much in the way of painkillers helps, no matter what I take to keep going. I have found that, as much as I dislike it, I have to take something every 4 hours to keep it at a bearable level, especially when I was at work, when it's at its worst I have to take something much stronger I've bought over the counter and head to bed. (Paramol or Syndol)
It's worth having an eye test, I now have a mild distance prescription which I can use when tired or headachy, as well as a reading prescription.
I'm hoping for an appointment so I can discuss with my GP and maybe go back onto a contraceptive to help balance my hormones and help with headaches. Without being too personal if you're taking a contraceptive that may be worth looking at too?
I'm not personally keen to take too many painkillers or to go back onto a contraceptive but I can't continue how I am so I feel your pain, they are so draining and there is nothing worse than waking up each morning and trying to decide if your head is ok or not.
:agr:
I used to get frequent bouts of migraines lasting weeks. Mine normally exacerbated when I was stressed but are very rare these days. I’m not saying the cause of yours is the same Hannah but you have had a lot of changes and sadness in the last year. May I suggest that if you do feel stressed to look at how you manage it e.g mindfulness, deep breathing exercises etc. My savour (and I’m not suggesting that it may work for everyone) was having massage therapy and using aromatherapy. I subsequently did 4 diploma’s in complementary therapies . Diet may be another issue. For example excess Cheese and too much caffeine can contribute to headache. Take time to explore different options to see what works best for you. There are prescribed medications available so that’s another option perhaps for the short term. If you are taking any other meds do look at the side effects and if migraine is a contradiction talk to your GP. I hope you get it sorted. X
:agr:

I used to suffer from terrible migraines once a month it's all hormone related. Then I suffered from them at other times too mainly when I was overtired.. I think the Dr called them non-specific sporadic headaches (a migraine is NOT a headache but there you go). I was having acupuncture for an unrelated problem and mentioned the migraines to my acupuncturist. He told me he could cure them and he did and that was a good few years ago. Not had a bad one since! It's amazing what a few needles and a couple of glass cups on the back can do!

I really can relate to this, sounds quite similar to my headaches! I do feel they maybe hormone related as I’ve been having women troubles for the past year or so.
It’s awful isn’t it? Waking up and the first thing to think is, do I have a headache? It really does effect everyday life quite significantly!
I must definitely mention it to my GP next time I go!

You’re right that I have had a bit of an up and down year which probably is a contributing factor! I have been a headachey person as long as I can remember, But feel like they have been worse the past year.
My mum also gets a lot of headaches, and always has. So I always just put it down to that I got it from her lol!
Thank you for the suggestions, I do feel I should take care of myself a bit more.. I have lost a stone since moving to Australia.

On a more positive note I’ve just woke up headache free, woohoo! Which is perfect because I’m off to adopt a guinea pig today :D

All the best today and hope the bonding goes well! Piggies 🥰

I hate summer because it sets my migraines off repeatedly. Heat, strong sunlight...I used to get hormonal migraines too although that's no longer an issue, and I had this weird thing with one of my automatic air freshener scents - it's fine after it's been going a day or two but for that first couple of days I have to make sure it sprays as little as possible because it'll set one off then too. That might just be psychosomatic on my part but.

If you're lacking in energy still have they checked your B12 levels? I have B12 anaemia (okay that's not what it's called but I can't remember the name off the top of my head) and if your iron count is coming back normal it might be worth checking.

I can't take most painkillers for various reasons, so I break out the cold stuff. Cold gel packs, ice packs, 4Head, Deep Freeze...okay Deep Freeze isn't actually meant for that but it's not like I care. Placing a flannel soaked in cold water is the old fashioned way. They're obviously not pain relief or painkillers but they're the only things that'll help me get to sleep to sleep the headache off.

I have headaches quite a lot aswell! I am low in iron and do have glasses but don’t use either :shh: It is also stress related. I should probably use them, and maybe they’d go away. Last year, I had rather bad anxiety and got them everyday, which made me worry even more. If this is your case, there are some nice meditation apps I find rather helpful. But I do hope you get better! :)

Sorry for the late reply to the above responses! I totally forgot my thread!

Touch wood, I haven’t been toooo bad lately. Well..I did have a headache today but just put that down to period, and forgetting to drink much in the morning and running out of time to eat..

I really do feel it is all hormone related now, I’ve had lots of women troubles with doctor/hospital things recently, with out going into too much detail for our Male members lol.
All is well, hopefully. And I will chat to my GP about trying to settle things down and hope it helps my headaches.

Also, @Lorcan that’s a great point! I should get my B12 level checked too!

I managed to finally get a gp appt, well telephone consultation, she agreed all the symptoms were sounding like hormonal issues so she suggested I try a progesterone only pill, apparently I'm at risk of stroke if I try anything else due to previously suffering migraines and my age?!?! (they do know how to make you feel better 🤨😂). Also she suggested regular carbs/ snacks can help, I guess that's all to do with sugar levels? More research for me to do! Fingers crossed next month will be better.

Back