Anyone used a wet stone before?

Skullblits

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used a wet stone for sharping kitchen knifes before?
Considering getting one but dont know where to start.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
My husband uses a steel and gets decent results, but I have never managed to do anything otehr than make them more blunt than before!
I think if you get it right a wet stone would work, but there is definitely a knack to it.

We have a chap who comes around in a caravan and parks in the village once a year so i take all my knives to him for sharpening.
He does a great job, and this year I ended up with 5 stitches to prove it :yikes:

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I ended up with 5 stitches to prove it
I feel really bad for sniggering at this (and the last time I sniggered at something like this I broke my ribs the same morning) but I hope there wasn't too much damage done?

My dad used to use this metal rod thing to sharpen his knives, but he'd moved on to using this thing he bought from Ikea that you run the knife through repeatedly? I don't know the actual name for it.

teddymouse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wet,oil,and dry stones,hardware department, like B&Q,wicks etc, takes some practise to use, once you have the hang of using, you have the sharpish knifes ever.

teddymouse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oh and just to add, my mom used to sharp knifes on her front door step,and scissors were sharped with a milk bottle, has if trying cutting the neck off it. Oh childhood memories.

Skullblits

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feel really bad for sniggering at this (and the last time I sniggered at something like this I broke my ribs the same morning) but I hope there wasn't too much damage done?

My dad used to use this metal rod thing to sharpen his knives, but he'd moved on to using this thing he bought from Ikea that you run the knife through repeatedly? I don't know the actual name for it.
Ah yes the steel. They are mainly for honing a knife aka maintaining the edge.

But I've older knifes that are blunt want to fix up lol