Anyone with tortoises...

Status
Not open for further replies.

amywithpiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm considering asking my parents for a tortoise and set up for my birthday (september) as it's my 21st and the present would be very expensive. I've been reading up on them and I can certainly afford to keep one and I find them fascinating! Plus it gives me a hobby as I'd want the tortoise table to be planted and look as natural as possible.
Does anyone on here have a tortoise? I'm not sure which kind I like the best either.

Tallulah

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Hermann's called Agnes. They're a nice species but there are lots that are commonly kept as pets.

Of the big things I've found: firstly where to get it from, lots of tortoises for sale in the UK have come from breeders abroad and it's definitely worth getting one from the UK if you can in my opinion.
Diet can be tricky, lots of tortoises are picky with food at times and it can be tricky to get used to especially after piggies that eat and eat! Well worth finding an experienced tortoise person to chat to. there are some good forums, but I have to admit I joined one and found it critical and scary, have a read through a few first!
There are some tortoise food mixes in the form of pellets on the arket, but lots of people are very anti their use and prefer a natural diet. diet and balance of nutrients is very important to tortoises.
You say you've read around, I did too but there is so mcuh to learn that you find along the way, so lots of good websites on your favorites is a good idea, also good to find a good reptile or exotics vet - your local exotic shop or zoo may suggest one.
It is a long term commitment. I got Agnes at about 25, five years later I am getting married, moving home, finding tortoise transition difficult. As they grow they need lots of outside exercise and roaming time, but only securely - they will climb and dig... The y need to be secure for their own safety but also because they dooften get stolen because they're expensive. We are currently trying to decide when to put Agnes out, when to bring her in, when she needs her lamp, when she can live out all the time, she will be old enough to hibernate this year so that'll be afirst too. Once she's grown up and I've moved into my next home it'll be easier but it is worth looking ahead to the next few years.

Hope that helps! :D

Reaction score
I had a pair of African leopards, but unfortunately had to let them go as I'd spilt from my fiance and didn't really have enough cash to look after me and the kids nevermind animals (well except the dog but I couldn't part with him ever).
They were lovely animals, very theraputic to sit and watch and my youngest used to love drawing them.
The only downside was that leopards need the heat light & uvb light for approx 12hrs a day so it got really expensive as the weather was never really warm enough to have them outside (& I worried that they'd be stolen) so all year round it became very costly.

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have three - an 8 year old hermanns, an adult hermanns which, going by her history, is between 40-60 years old, and a 7 month old sulcata.

SO many people are given wrong info on tortoises - particularly substrate and diet - I really recommend that you have a look at the tortoise trust and their info :) http://www.tortoisetrust.org/

CandyFloss

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The tortoise trust do a good self paced, home study course on tortoise keeping which I would recommend.

I did it and looked after a couple of leopard tortoises for a couple of years for the trust. Unfortunately when I moved house I was going to be unable to provide for their needs (leopards need a lot of space and can become very large - they had their own room in my last house along with an outdoor enclosure and I dont have that space now) so they were rehomed through the trust to a great new home.

I would probably avoid leopard tortoises if I were you due to the size they grow to (forget tortoise tables...lol) and the heat/light expense which is needed all year round (and the bulbs are about £50 a go and last about 6mths). They are a non-hibernating species.

They are fascinating animals and great to watch - theres not the same excitement and response from them like you get from piggys though.

Best of luck.

xx

Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The tortoise trust do a good self paced, home study course on tortoise keeping which I would recommend.

I did it and looked after a couple of leopard tortoises for a couple of years for the trust. Unfortunately when I moved house I was going to be unable to provide for their needs (leopards need a lot of space and can become very large - they had their own room in my last house along with an outdoor enclosure and I dont have that space now) so they were rehomed through the trust to a great new home.

I would probably avoid leopard tortoises if I were you due to the size they grow to (forget tortoise tables...lol) and the heat/light expense which is needed all year round (and the bulbs are about £50 a go and last about 6mths). They are a non-hibernating species.

They are fascinating animals and great to watch - theres not the same excitement and response from them like you get from piggys though.
Best of luck.

xx

You should come and meet our younger hermanns!

He's like a hyperactive child - if you told me before that a reptile could have so much character, I wouldn't believe you, but its true! Thomas (the adult female hermanns) is growing into her character nicely now shes got the proper care she needs, and Sena, the 7 month old sulcata is starting to display funny little behaviours!

CandyFloss

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You should come and meet our younger hermanns!

He's like a hyperactive child - if you told me before that a reptile could have so much character, I wouldn't believe you, but its true! Thomas (the adult female hermanns) is growing into her character nicely now shes got the proper care she needs, and Sena, the 7 month old sulcata is starting to display funny little behaviours!

lol....really ? My leopards were very very laid back .... theyd come over and climb about you for food though ...... getting them fresh grass and stuff in the winter was challenging..... but they are great animals :)

x

Status
Not open for further replies.