aquarium - close call!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sat having breakfast and suddenly can hear drip, drip drip.....
It’s raining heavily here and my first though is something wrong with the house, i eventually manage to track the drip (I have a problem with one of my ears and find following the direction of sounds tricky) and notice a damp patch of carpet directly under one of my aquariums and see a drip coming from the table it’s stood on, a pool of water on the table itself. After a panic and a mad dash for a towel, I’ve cleaned up the pool of water on the table to try to see if it comes back......it does....Now I’m having images of it going from being a little drip to a sudden blow out of the tank and of all the water and the fish on the floor while at the same time trying to think logically! I remembered I did a water change yesterday, perhaps I spilled water....can’t be that because it came back after I’ve just dried the table. Finally work out that I’ve put the internal filter back in slightly too high and the water from the spray bar is hitting the back of the tank too close towards the top and some of it is splashing over the top and running down the outside of the tank, pooling and running across the table. Phew, push filter back down lower and all should be solved! Thank god it was my fault and not a defect! I’m still finding myself staring at the carpet and touching the table to check it’s remaining dry! Don’t need that kind of panic at 8am!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Bullet dodged! Luckily it wasn’t a defect indeed. Now try and relax, and check less often 😁

GPTV

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
What a relief! :tu::)
Do you have any emergency buckets/tank to put everyone in (& the plants) in the future if you should happen to get another scare?

I have 2 big buckets for water changes & emergencies - I only use them for aquarium/fish related jobs - just to be on the safe side. X

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
What a relief! :tu::)
Do you have any emergency buckets/tank to put everyone in (& the plants) in the future if you should happen to get another scare?

I have 2 big buckets for water changes & emergencies - I only use them for aquarium/fish related jobs - just to be on the safe side. X
Yes, I’ve got three buckets for water changes all of which could be turned into emergency tanks!
I have a cabinet which contains just buckets and fish stuff!

A tank failing/cracking is one of my nightmares! It happened to a friend of mine. Fortunately she was home in time to get everybody to safety but the tank had drained a large proportion all over the floor.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sat having breakfast and suddenly can hear drip, drip drip.....
It’s raining heavily here and my first though is something wrong with the house, i eventually manage to track the drip (I have a problem with one of my ears and find following the direction of sounds tricky) and notice a damp patch of carpet directly under one of my aquariums and see a drip coming from the table it’s stood on, a pool of water on the table itself. After a panic and a mad dash for a towel, I’ve cleaned up the pool of water on the table to try to see if it comes back......it does....Now I’m having images of it going from being a little drip to a sudden blow out of the tank and of all the water and the fish on the floor while at the same time trying to think logically! I remembered I did a water change yesterday, perhaps I spilled water....can’t be that because it came back after I’ve just dried the table. Finally work out that I’ve put the internal filter back in slightly too high and the water from the spray bar is hitting the back of the tank too close towards the top and some of it is splashing over the top and running down the outside of the tank, pooling and running across the table. Phew, push filter back down lower and all should be solved! Thank god it was my fault and not a defect! I’m still finding myself staring at the carpet and touching the table to check it’s remaining dry! Don’t need that kind of panic at 8am!
Jesus sure that was a scare! :yikes: Thank god it wasn’t!
I nearly killed myself when putting my original Red Lizards into the tank a couple of months ago, separate bags with the six fish, suddenly water erupting everywhere and I thought the seal had gone! Into plugs that were sizzling and I nearly electrocuted the lot of us! :yikes::yikes: Couldn’t get to the plug!
Thought it was my rather old tank packing up, nope just didn’t take enough water out for the bags! But why I have the plugs out the way now! My heart was going like the clappers for hours!:blink: Was more worried for the fish as on my lonesome! XD🙄
Glad you and the scaly ones ok! x

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Jesus sure that was a scare! :yikes: Thank god it wasn’t!
I nearly killed myself when putting my original Red Lizards into the tank a couple of months ago, separate bags with the six fish, suddenly water erupting everywhere and I thought the seal had gone! Into plugs that were sizzling and I nearly electrocuted the lot of us! :yikes::yikes: Couldn’t get to the plug!
Thought it was my rather old tank packing up, nope just didn’t take enough water out for the bags! But why I have the plugs out the way now! My heart was going like the clappers for hours!:blink: Was more worried for the fish as on my lonesome! XD🙄
Glad you and the scaly ones ok! x
Now that is scary. I’m glad you were all ok.
I’ve done a similar thing - I had some new plants, put my arm in to plant the plants and of course water displacement with my whole arm in the tank happened....not quite as bad as with six bags of water would have been though.

....and they say fish keeping is a relaxing hobby.....pfft!