• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Are Lillys Poisonous

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeStanforth

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Dec 30, 2014
Messages
91
Reaction score
103
Points
250
Location
Walsall uk
My greedy girls have eaten the petals of a bunch of lillys.

Whilst I'm sure its not good for them I wanted to see if anybody knew if.they were poisonous?
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
76,859
Reaction score
53,517
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
Lilies can be poisonous (all plants growing from bulbs are). I am not sure how bad just the petals are, though; I would expect them to be less bad than the green bits. it also depends on just how much.

Please keep an eye on your piggies and have them seen as an emergency if you notice anything untowards. Unfortunately, rodents can't vomit, so once eaten, it has to come out at the other end. :(
 

LukeStanforth

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Dec 30, 2014
Messages
91
Reaction score
103
Points
250
Location
Walsall uk
They ate the petals from two flowers.

I assume it was all of them could have been just one.

I have googled it but for every website that says it is poisonous another says it isnt.

Tha.ks again
 

MerryPip

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
3,756
Reaction score
2,595
Points
955
Location
Wolverhampton
The pollen and stamens are so there's a chance they have eaten some of the bad bits so I would keep a close eye on them and seek vet advice quickly if they seem out of the ordinary....

As a rule of thumb it's good to keep cut flowers and house plants out of a piggies reach but I know it's not always that easy especially if they free-range...
 

Critter

Moderator
Joined
Apr 21, 2015
Messages
3,672
Reaction score
3,635
Points
1,265
Location
Derby, UK
The pollen from some lillies can be deadly to cats, and lillies can also cause skin irritation to some people. For guinea pigs I do not know, but I agree - keep a very close eye. Does anyone else here go by Peter Gurney's books? Mine says crush a 100mg charcoal tablet in water and syringe it into your piggy's mouth, and an hour later give 1.5 ml of liquid paraffin, followed by a vitamin B injection (from the vet). The charcoal should absorb some of the toxins, and the paraffin helps to flush it out their back-end without the intestines absorbing too much of it.
 

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
4,545
Reaction score
1,362
Points
845
Location
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire.
Charcoal is best practice for poisons, however I do believe it would be worthless now. Charcoal inhibits absorption by the stomach mostly. But unfortunately as this was a few hours ago I don't believe it would make much difference.

If your worried I would suggest calling an out of hours vet service for advice on this.

x
 

adelhide

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 27, 2014
Messages
291
Reaction score
216
Points
375
Location
Australia
this is a post i want to know about. are water lilies poisonous to guinea pigs? there are both bulb and non bulb varieties, are either of them not poisonous?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top