• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Are Peruvian Guinea Pigs Prone To Skin Conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey

I've got a male Peruvian (i think) Guinea Pig, lately he's been itching quite a bit. I've bathed him in flea, mite and tick shampoo just encase.

but he's still itching, because of his long hair i'm wondering weather his breed is prone to skin conditions.

I've checked his skin but he looks ok, its hard to see with his long coat.

Cheers

Nat x

chrissy88

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Umm i don't think they are but don't take my word on that. I got a Peruvian and he doesn't scratch more than the other pigs do who aren't Peruvian breed. Might be worth a vet visit to have check over. Apparently if you bath them too much or you haven't got all soap out their hair properly it gives them bad skin flaking itching etc.

Reaction score
i wouldnt say any certain breed is really prone to anything most of the time(there are a few exceptions but not with peru's as far as I'm aware)

To have a good chance at clearing this up you need to use ivomec for mites(sheep one) some UK members on here can help with where to get it.
Malaseb will help with fungal conditions and can be brought at a vet clinic

if you cant see anything i would take a guess at early stage mites but if it gets severe there will be redness/self inflicted injuries and hair loss.
so ivomec as soon as someone here can give you dosages and where to buy from, its different here in OZ,goodluck

P.S ,mite/flea shampoo and anything from a petshop is usually useless when it comes to piggies, so many people dont know enough about them.
This site has alot of great info on day to day care and the more complicated things too

when it comes to bathing its best to use guinea pig specific products only

http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/

Last edited:

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
You really are best to see a vet as many things are invisible to the eye.......or you may not see the offending bug :{
Best of luck and please update......... i'm sure someone can help you with a vet in your area :) or at least a suggestion :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Mange mites are not visible to the eye. They can kill if they are not treated properly with a product that contains ivermectin in repeated treatments. However, dry skin and fungal are also contenders.

Please see a vet for a proper diagnosis and don't try home treatments if you do not know what you are up against.

http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help on this guys,

We visited the vets today and he said it look like early signs of mites :(

They had to have an oral medication to stop the mites developing any further and an anti-inflammatory to help with the itching.

We've got another appointment for next week to see if its helped and to get a second dose.

Poor Little Boys x

Status
Not open for further replies.