• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are shavings safe for use in hutches with guineas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerpig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have learnt from a rabbit forum that shavings can cause liver dysfunction, which can affect whether or not a bun pulls through after an anaesthetic.

Can anyone please tell me if this is the same for guineas? Or can I carry on using my shavings? If not, what is a good alternative? Thanks x

Sorry to butt in on someone else's post, but whilst we're on the topic does anyone use paper shreddings? (From a home shredder) Are they any good?

I do - I use paper shreddings from my shreddings and yes they are good ! :D

Hi, shavings are not too good for guinea pigs as they can be quite dusty and irritate them - I would recomment EASI-BED as you cant get any better than that ! ;) Easi-bed is just bits of wood and its all natural !

i use shredded paper sometimes, mostly for them to play in which they love,but if it's really cold in the winter (my utility room isn't all that warm at night in winter,as it's an outside building) I use it for extra warmth.

my girls live on shavings, and ive never had any problems in the last 6 years of using them..many people are against them but personally ive never had problems with them.

spudnik said:
my girls live on shavings, and ive never had any problems in the last 6 years of using them..many people are against them but personally ive never had problems with them.
hi yes i agree also use it but i think easi bed is better thats all :D

I use a layer of newspaper, a layer of shredded paper, and then heaps of hay on top. Works for me. :D

spudnik said:

dito, have used woodshavings for the last 9 years for my bunnies and my piggies, and never had a problem like they are said to cause (fungal, asthma, etc). I love them - they are cheap, very absorbant, I can put them in my garden waste bin... brilliant!

We use shavings on the majority of cages here, and I have for years, always will O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back