• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Asian Ball Jointed Dolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darky

Hey y'all!

I'm here to talk about my second love from pets - and that's Asian Ball Jointed dolls.

I currently have one, a second-hand Angel Region Little Fair Ami called Maaya with modded horn and ears that I bought from an old friend. I have two dolls currently being assembled and painted, and I'm waiting for them to be shipped. C:

Maaya021.jpg

Maaya here is an MSD, or Mini Super Dollfie, and is 43cm high. My other two dolls are around 60cm high - Super Dollfie size.

The first doll company was the Japanese company Volks, so they often get referred to incorrect as Super Dollfies, which is actually a Volks brand name, but it's also used for size comparison.

They are customisable in that you can change their hair, eyes and their face-up. They can come in different types of normal skin resin, white skin or tan skin. Each company is different and has different molds. C:

Maaya is an Angel Region doll, and my other two dolls are Dolkot - they're both Korean companies. C:

MSDs can range anywhere around $300-400, while SDs are usually aroind $500-600.

Maaya028.jpg

Maaya029.jpg

Maaya031.jpg

XD No, that would have to be done by independant artists.

Companies have various molds, you buy a mold (with or without face-up), and then you can customise them. C: A lot of dolls of the same mold can look dramatically different.

weird.. .what are those? like, japanese barbies or something?

Or are these supposed to be like those wooden dolls that you take to draw the proportions right? Just with hair? ?

They are quite strange if you don't mind me saying. What age group are they marketed at? They don't look much like a childs doll. What it the horn about? Is it a symbol of something. What is it that makes them so expensive? sorry so many questions, just intrigued!

XD Asia have barbies too.

BJDs are a bit more grown-up. They're ball-jointed and strung with elastic inside, so they're ideal for posing - this makes them a good subject for photography. Many owners use them to practise photography, or to sew for, or for styling, or as art subjects, and some people just get them to play with. XD

They're not marketed at a specific age group - the majority of owners are adults, which you can expect with their price, but some younger people have them. I'm 18 and have been into BJDs since I was about 16.

The horn on my Maaya is a mod that the previous owner did - it's because some people base their dolls on story characters, and Maaya was supposed to be the character of a part-centaur girl. ^^

They're expensive for several reasons - such as the currency conversion, the small market, the fact that once the doll has been made so many times the mold can no longer be used so eventually a certain mold is discontinued, their customisation abilities, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back