At A Loss Of What To Do About The Neighbours Cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

funnehmare

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I posted about cat deterrents a while back and have tried what I can to try and keep the moggies out of my garden but unfortunately they still love my garden. The issue is becoming more difficult to deal with now the warmer weather has begun and we are still not in a position to change the fencing which means the dogs are having to stay cooped up indoors and only allowed out when I've scouted the garden and can stay out and monitor them. They subsquently become restless and end up winding eachother up. The dogs ignore the rabbits and piggies but the cats are constantly harrasing the bunnies (who cope better than the piggies) and I've stopped putting the piggies out altogether because of it. This weekend the dogs managed to corner one of the cats and luckily I was out in the garden with them otherwise I dread to think what might have happened. The problem is the neighbours cats also live with dogs so aren't as frightened of my two as perhaps they should be and despite a free close calls they are not perturbed. They often say they never hear our two I barking/playing....well yeah because I can't leave them out because of your cats *sigh*. Lastly they are still using my flower beds as loo, and I put my hand in their muck when planting out Sunday evening. I'm becoming rather distressed and anxious about the whole thing. I can't enjoy my garden with my dogs and small flurries because I'm always apprehensive one of the cats might appear, I feel like it'll be another summer where I can't relax.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I ended crying on Sunday night, picking up cat poo was the straw thast broke the camels back. The OH is annoyed but just keeps saying "what can you do?" which doesn't exactly help either and keeps telling me I should wait till they move (house has been on the market for quite some time) but I feel trapped and I worry about the stress on the pets.

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do you keep your rabbits and guinea pigs in a run when they're out in the garden?

If so they'll get use to the cats being around the run, eventually they'll realise that the cats can't actually get to them and go about there normal business. Also the cats will get bored of them when they realise they can't get to them. I have 4 cats, at first amber and Trixie hid when the cats were around the run but now amber doesn't care, in fact she seems to come out more when they are around.

funnehmare

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The rabbits have an attached run but I extend it during the summer months to give them more access to grass and give it a chance to regrow. Unfortunately this has been going on since we moved in three years ago and the cats are just as persistent as they were when they first encountered them, they show no signs of getting bored. They will prowl, and swipe at the run quite regularly or will perch on top and stalk the bunnies, Chino in particular gets quite stressed and will disappear back into the shed and not come back out. When I lived with my parents the local cat would sunbathe on top of the run and the piggies weren't fussed and would act as if Sophie (the cat) wasn't there but these two don't leave them alone.

Bluebell

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'll come and get the cats to solve the rat problem in my garden! (Only joking) If you are really being that upset by them, then the old hosepipe trick will put them off, nothing cats hate more than being sprayed. I have used that on my own cats before now when they insisted on sitting on a wall and teasing the dogs - they learned it rained a lot on that wall!

funnehmare

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'll come and get the cats to solve the rat problem in my garden! (Only joking) If you are really being that upset by them, then the old hosepipe trick will put them off, nothing cats hate more than being sprayed. I have used that on my own cats before now when they insisted on sitting on a wall and teasing the dogs - they learned it rained a lot on that wall!
I do whenever I can. But they've learned to scarlet when the see me pick up the hose gun so it isn't often I manage to get them! They are clever little so and sos, lol. I'm sure they would make fab rat catchers actually, very good hunters from what I've seen them catch!

Let the dogs out - the cats will sharpish realise that your garden is not a relaxing place to be. It is your garden to do with as you please and those cats have to learn that!
I would but unfortunately the dogs jump the fence after them so if anything happened to the cat, godforbid, my dogs would then be at risk because it didn't happen within the boundaries of my home. I've also no doubt in my mind if my lab got hold of one she would kill it, she has come close beforeand I don't want the poor cats to get hurt.

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
To be honest.. Your only option is to get a higher fence so the dog can't follow them. The cats will soon realise that your garden isn't a safe place if you just let the dogs out, as long as they can't follow the cats of course. Which is why really you need a bigger fence.

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh this all sounds really stressful, but I agree you need a higher (6ft) fence and then you need to let your dogs play in their own garden. The cats will learn, and whilst I would not like to think of the cats being hurt either, it is your garden not theirs!

If you cant afford new fencing at the moment, think about fixing trellis to the top of the existing fence as that may well be a lot cheaper. Just check with your neighbours and explain as you may not own both fences - once of ours is shared and the other "belongs" to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.