• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

At wits end!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

igglepiggle

I have two sows (Iggle and Piggle) which I have now had for seven months. They were about twelve weeks old when I got them. I just this week took charge of a new hutch and run for them which is fantastic! Its really big with seperate sleeping areas which is great because they had been falling out quite a lot and this affords them a little bit of privacey. The new hutch is inside its own run which is great because they can now come out and nibble the grass whenever they want.

The problem I have is that they are still incredibly nervous! Even more so at the moment because of the new surroundings. They are only just really taking food from my hands (but not every time) and they sit looking frightened whenever I open the hutch door.:( They seem to be just really frightened when I pick them up, which I feel terrible about, but I keep persiveering. What else can i do? Are they just very timid and likely to remain so? They seem very happy when I am not around and enjoy popcorning about in the run.

I would like to get another sow to add to my little brood, a baby one, do you think this is a good idea? Would it change the dynamics of the group in a good way? Maybe a little one that I could handle from being wee would become friendlier and lead the other two by example?

If anyone has any advice I would be REALLY grateful. Has anyone had similar experiences? I am really frustrated!mallethead

Also, they seem to be quite afraid of using the ramp down to the grass, do you think its too steep?

Some piggies will never use a ramp and some will it depends on the piggy itself. I have had my pigs for about 8 months they still run away when i approach the cage but piggies are a prey animal so they would tend to be timid and hide as otherwise they would get eaten in the wild (and some evil countries) I would say handle them as much as you can. I think indoor piggies become less timid because they hear people all the time mine live in my living room and although they run away when i go to the cage they come out do there stuff when I'm in the room. As for introducing another pig i cant help you there. Handle iggle and piggle as often as you can giving them veggie treats when there on your lap. They will get used to you mine sit on my shoulders and watch telly with me. Yet still run away when i approach the cage. I think its natural behaviour. Cool names though maybe you could call the next one upsy daisy or macca pakka! :))

mine were nervous when i first got them but we bought a giant guinea pig cage and kept it in doors they soon became used to the to ing and fro ing of me and my three brothers
there two now and so tame people are always asking us to help with their guinea pigs:)

Thanks for your help, they actually seem a bit better today and one of them has followed my hand round the hutch looking and squeeking to see what I have got! As for the ramp, they used one no problem to get up and down stairs in the last hutch, but they seem to have suddenly developed ramp a phobia with this one. Having said that, Piggle has ventured onto the top of the ramp this morning after a good half an hour of coaxing with grass!

I will keep you posted!

They have done it! They have made it down the ramp all by themselves!
After much coaxing earlier on today I have just been outside and there they both are, happily eating grass in their run! Am really, really happy!:)):))
Am just going for a little shopping trip to the pet shop for a hidey house for them now. I hope they can work out thet they have to go back up the ramp to go to bed!

They have done it! They have made it down the ramp all by themselves!
After much coaxing earlier on today I have just been outside and there they both are, happily eating grass in their run! Am really, really happy!:)):))
Am just going for a little shopping trip to the pet shop for a hidey house for them now. I hope they can work out thet they have to go back up the ramp to go to bed!
can you post pigtures please? i wanna see them!!

aww I'm so pleased! just took a little bit of time and gentle persuasion!

I'm so happy for them! they will be going mad running up and down in no time!

x

I am going to attempt to put some photos on here, but i can not really remember how to do it!

<a href='http://wendycatpratt.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=imgp1785' title=' - Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum'></a>

Well, that doesn't look right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back