• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baby pig can't open his eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophie

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Naala (one of the lymington piggies) gave birth on Thursday and had two babies. They are tiny! 60g and 80g. The smaller one cannot open it's eyes they are tightly shut almost as if it has none. We have tried bathing them but it has not helped. I can't post a pic but if * pm me your email address I can email it. He gets around okay and I think it's drinking okay. Any ideas? Will they open in time? Thanks x

Thanks, yes she was probably interbred so maybe that's it, poor thing it constantly follows it's sister/brother around. They are both drinking and gaining weight xx

Having seen a lot of the Lymington pigs they all have the same colourings and are definately in bred so sadly this could be the reason.
Hope they are both ok (and mum) and this isn't the case.

I would have him checked by a vet to make sure that the little boy ends up with the right diagnosis. Thankfully, sight is not the strongest sense guinea pigs have and he will learn quickly to compensate and lead a happy life!

PS: The weight is at the lower end of the normal spectrum, so nothing to worry about and nothing that your good care can put right!

I have had a piggy (Treasure) who came to me at about 8 weeks old, pregnant by her father, and no little eyes. Niki has now given her a forever home, and called her Shylo. Blindness in itself is no problem so long as there are no other health issues. Shylo's babies were born safely, all thrived and now all rehomed. She was a wonderful mum. You will love this little one just that little bit more because he is special. xx
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51689

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back