• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Barney Losing Weight- Bloat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I noticed a few days ago Barney was looking a bit depressed, and he felt and looked thinner than usual. His backbone is more prominent, and he feels more boney in general. He had some poo's stuck around his bottom area, and I pulled out this weird gelly, white substance from inside- He didn't squeal and barely noticed it- I've linked them together and think it may be bloat?
I may be overreacting, but I'd rather be safe

I have a reputable vets that I have used before just 15 minutes away and I could get the funds to take him tomorrow, what do you think?

He's turned down some of his favourite foods just now, which isn't a good sign. He's not in any visible pain though, and is moving around. Another thing, his eyes look a bit sunken.

Hi I think you should definetally take your piggie to the vets, see if your vet can find out whats going on! Hope everything at the vets will go ok!
xx

I've just realised...It's Sunday tomorrow, lost track of time, the vets in Broxbourne only opens Monday- Saturday- if it is bloat I've read all these horror stories of guinea pigs passing away in a day!

Maybe try and find another vet if you think he cant wait until Monday, but for all you know it might not be bloat, but don't get too worried just yet! Let me know how you get on!

Maybe try and find another vet if you think he cant wait until Monday, but for all you know it might not be bloat, but don't get too worried just yet! Let me know how you get on!

I'll have a look, but this vet I tried was really good last time- the vet was very knowledgeable and knew exactly what he was doing-

I could be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 with this linking, so that is a possibility ! :)

Just see how Barnie is tomorrow, and if he seems worse then take him to another vets but if he seems the same then book him in for monday so he will see his normal vet. Try checking how much he weighs and is that normal to what he used to way, make sure he has enough food and check what he is like tomorrow. xx

Does a light tap on your piglets side should hollow if you do so?

Try gently massaging his tummy or if you have a vibrating pad or something that can really help.

Movement helps - as with people, if its gas moving around will help release it.

I'm not sure where I could take him tbh-

He's now not eating anything, what do you all recommend?

When was the last time he ate? Is he still poo-ing?
If it's been a long time since he fed try mushing up some pellets with water and syringing to him.
I would definately see the vets asap too x

I agree with the others, try and get him to an emergency vet ASAP as this definately doesn't look too good. I would try mushed pellets in a syringe, and they may give you some recovery food. Please don't leave it too late as it could be anything and the poor little mites go downhill so fast *hugs*

I would take him to the vets, but where is going to be open tomorrow? The Pets at Home vets are clueless, and I don't know anywhere else?

I would take him to the vets, but where is going to be open tomorrow? The Pets at Home vets are clueless, and I don't know anywhere else?

Does your vet not have an emergency number?

Please do not force feed if hes not pooing as he may have a blockage or his gut has slowed down due to not eating in which case he needs food and a gut stimulant from the vet.

Does your vet not have an emergency number?

Please do not force feed if hes not pooing as he may have a blockage or his gut has slowed down due to not eating in which case he needs food and a gut stimulant from the vet.

I can try calling them tomorrow

Does anyone know anywhere that would be open tomorrow in Essex/Herts?

Barney's poking his head out and he's had some tiny bits of hay every now and then, but that's it.

If you telephone the vet you normally use they should have an answer message with the 24hr emergency phone number. I do hope you thought of this yourself and have already taken your poor pig to the vet - he sounds in desperate need of one.

As others have said hesitating can cost your pig dearly.

I will take him today of course, that was never the problem-

Surprisingly, he's just done three poo's- strange if he's not eating much?

where abouts in herts are you? theres medivet in Radlett http://www.medivet.co.uk/radlett i may be off there myself today

It's quite a long journey from where I am in Essex, I don't want to distress him on the journey-

I've been massaging him, and he's done LOADS of poo's- some normal, some hard, some mucousy. I've syringe fed him some water, he's still struggling which I think is a good sign (He's still got energy), and he's definitely swallowed a good portion of it. I'm gonna keep up with the water to keep him hydrated, and I'll give the vets a call right now

Edit- Barney felt very cold before, but he's warming up (Especially his ears!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back