Been at the vets today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I took all 3 of my pigs to the vets today to get Archie's lump looked at and because my girls have been coughing and I wanted to get them checked out.

The girls got the all clear for URI. He said their chests sounded clear and they had no other symptoms. I've been given a course of Bisolvon to clear any mucous they may have in their lungs, so we'll see what happens after that.

Archie, however, has a big lump of pus where his testicle was. The vet couldn't remove it through the syringe or lancing it because it was too thick and he wouldn't have been able to get it all out. He said it's likely that the pus has been encapsulated as it hasn't got any bigger, so the only way to get rid of it is to have it surgically removed :(. I can just leave it and monitor it, but the vet advised that I get it removed as little Archie is only 6 months old and if it bursts it would be a lot worse. I don't really know what is best...whether I should put him through the op, or whether I should just leave it and see as it doesn't bother him or cause him any pain :{

Sorry for the long post rolleyes

Joey&Gizmo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Glad to hear that the girls are well and have a clean bill of health.

As for Archie i would have it removed as it maybe causing him some discomfort even if he isnt showing any signs of pain. I know its easy for me to say that, but as you seem to have a very good cavy vet he will in good hands. :)

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah I am considering putting Archie in, as he is still young and I don't want the abscess to burst. I just don't want to put him under unnecessarily...but then this is kinda necessary to prevent more discomfort...:{. I just keep weighing up the good and the bad, but it doesn't lead me anywhere lol. I am glad there was nothing wrong with the girls though as the coughing was really worrying me. Could it have been caused by the detergent I wash my fleece in? Could that irritate their chests? ?/ Hmm, so many questions...:))

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be chuffed that the girls are OK.

Hard as it is, I would have Archie operated on. A burst abscess can be REAL trouble if it gets further into the body and can kill.

Best of luck!

Joey&Gizmo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When you say the girls cough, do you mean they do this when eating? As if so then this is greedy pig syndrome and perfectly normal, it happens when greedy pigs eat to fast and they have to cough. :)) I have a greedy pig here.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When you say the girls cough, do you mean they do this when eating? As if so then this is greedy pig syndrome and perfectly normal, it happens when greedy pigs eat to fast and they have to cough. :)) I have a greedy pig here.

I did consider that, but sometimes they did it when they weren't eating. I just thought I better check it out as it sounded like a mucousy cough. I'm glad they're ok now though. Maybe I'm just a worrier :)) The vet did say it could be the environment they're in, as they're in my bedroom, so heatings on and not much fresh air gets in. I'll change their environment a bit and see how we get on. If not I may have to move them out of my room.

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya I think you went to the same vet that my friend did and he had the same sort of problem but it all cleared up nicely with squeezing bathing and antibiotics. I wonder if its got anything to do with the method they use to do it? They glue it together and stich it up, perhaps the glue makes them more likely to get an infection? Hope Archie gets sorted soon x

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya I think you went to the same vet that my friend did and he had the same sort of problem but it all cleared up nicely with squeezing bathing and antibiotics. I wonder if its got anything to do with the method they use to do it? They glue it together and stich it up, perhaps the glue makes them more likely to get an infection? Hope Archie gets sorted soon x

I got it done at Vale vets in Dursley...I think you mentioned before that it was the same one :) I didn't see any stitches, unless they were internal, but the definitely glued it up. I went to a different vets yesterday as it's closer, so maybe I should go back to Vale vets and get them to check it. They may give me a better solution.

piggiewiggie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so glad the girls are ok. I think I'd have it removed hun, but its a tough decsion. I hope hes better soon. HUGS x

Status
Not open for further replies.