• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Been To The Vets, I Could Cry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Took my Bella cat to the vets today :( after a long weekend of her trying to wee in strange places constantly for about 10 minuets every 3 hours or so.
Anyway, I desperately didn't want to take her in! She cry's all the way there and then all the way back, its really distressing. I've tried putting the radio on & covering her up so shes less stressed, but nothing works. I had a little wobble this morning when she clung onto the stairs for dear life when I was trying to get her in the cat carrier, I got really upset and just wanted to cry :'(!

Got to the vets anyway, after a lot of meowing and a wee in the cat carrier! The verdict wasn't great...
She was recently diagnosed with Renal failure, which we've been treating with renal food. However, she has a massive infection.
When the vet felt her bladder he said it was really swollen and when he was pressing it, she was weeing a little all over the place. Anyway he took her out back and drained the fluid, and said that when he was draining it blood clots were coming out and so was blood?!?! I was instantly filled with this massive sense of...doom :/! He said that her bladder walls were really thick and her kidneys were swollen too. The worry is that she could have a blood clot blocked her urine track which is stopping her for weeing, he gave her three injections and said if shes on better by this afternoon I should let him know and he'll have to do an operation to flush out the bladder.
He also said that it could be caused by the renal problem, sometimes cats with renal problems can just get infections constantly. Or he said it could be because she holds it in for so long. We've just got a cat litter trey because she hates going out, she will only go out like 2 times a week, to wee and have a poo and even then she only goes out if me or my mum stand in the garden with her. She's got really poor eyesight so she gets scared when she hears the slightest noise outside and runs back in.
He said that she may need to have injections every 2 weeks to keep infection down! Which because he knows my background of working in a vets he said he would let me do it at home because she gets really stressed out when taken to the vets. This worries me slightly, I've given injections before, but never to my own cat, and never in my own house. I give my kitten daily medication of liquid straight into the mouth but hes easy and jumps up on the table waiting because hes had it for so long. Last time I had to give Bella painkillers she got so stressed out she was going mad with twitchy back syndrome and would hide behind the sofa, it was ridiculous! I worry that I wont be able to do it, and she might feel a victim in her own home, and he even more scared of everything around her than she already is!
Taking her into the vets every 2 weeks is a horrible thought too, I reply on my Grandad or my OH but my OH has a 'show car' and values it highly, and Bella's the type of cat that will wee and poo in the cat carrier, and he doesn't want her pooing and weeing on the back seats if it leaks out. I couldn't take her in a cab because of the same weeing and pooing problem and she meows all the way to and from. Its just difficult really I'm really unsure on what to do. In a way I want to get her use to going into the vets as she'll probably have to go in there a lot when her renal problem gets really severe.

Does anyone else give injections to their cats at home? How do you find it?

I'm such a wreck at the moment, I want to be strong for her because I don't want her to get any sad feelings from me, but I could cry... I just want her to be better now. Especially as she gets so stressed out about the whole thing. I want to sit and cuddle her and cry until she's better :(

Oh poor Bella. She is going through such a tough time. I am so sorry to hear all this. It sounds like the injections are going to be really stressful for her. I have no advice as I have not been through this but I just want to say how sorry I am. Huge hugs to you both.

Reactions: A&T
Oh poor Bella. She is going through such a tough time. I am so sorry to hear all this. It sounds like the injections are going to be really stressful for her. I have no advice as I have not been through this but I just want to say how sorry I am. Huge hugs to you both.

Aw thank you :).
Yeahh :( I'm so worried the injections will make her worse! I know it will help her bladder and kidneys but in terms of feeling safe in her own home.. I don't think there's any chance of that!

Do you think the injections will ruin her quality of life? I really hope that does not upset you but maybe you need to think about if she can cope with that? Although, that would be the worst decision ever for you to have to make.

Sorry if that came across as insensitive. I hope I have not upset you.

Do you think the injections will ruin her quality of life? I really hope that does not upset you but maybe you need to think about if she can cope with that? Although, that would be the worst decision ever for you to have to make.

Oh no its fine! Mum and I were just talking about that. Although it might stress her out... I wouldn't be able to have her....yano...put to sleep if I felt as if I could have done more yano? I mean...I think it would be better to take her into the vets to have them done..at least then when shes at home..she can be stress free knowing shes safe? Most animals get use to going into the vets eventually right? especially if she was going very two weeks?!
I don't think I would consider putting her to sleep unless literally nothing could be done atal.

I had to give my cat edith injections of cerenia and famotidine every other day subcutaneously. Let's be honest here- She didn't like it- BUT- I found that the more I did it- she got used to it. I would give her lots of love pats and treats to make it not as bad for her. You will get very quick and confident at it. I am really sorry about your cat. I know very well how much that can hurt to watch your cat be ill, and not be able to fix it. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk about it. I have some tips and tricks for when the disease progresses and we get appetite loss. You and Bella are in my thoughts.

It is difficult to know which will be more stressful. My rabbit has special needs and suffers with terrible nerves. If he goes to the vets he shakes and loses fur then spends the rest of the day under the bed. Often he needs his fur cut off his bottom. I find doing it myself is better for him as he does not have the trauma of going to the vets. I did worry it would effect our bond but it has not so he must know I am helping him.

I had to give my cat edith injections of cerenia and famotidine every other day subcutaneously. Let's be honest here- She didn't like it- BUT- I found that the more I did it- she got used to it. I would give her lots of love pats and treats to make it not as bad for her. You will get very quick and confident at it. I am really sorry about your cat. I know very well how much that can hurt to watch your cat be ill, and not be able to fix it. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk about it. I have some tips and tricks for when the disease progresses and we get appetite loss. You and Bella are in my thoughts.

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! Gosh its such a relief to hear from someone who's had to do it. How did you manage to get her? I normally wrap them in a towel if its syringes into the mouth but obviously these will be in the neck and the towel thing wont really work out. Is there a technique to it? She's quite viscous and can seem to wriggle her way out of everything.

That would be really great! Thankfully at the moment she seems to be eating more than she ever has?! Maybe that's because all the drugs are making her feel better. I've seen cats with late stage renal failure.. and it haunts me to think she will be like that one day.

It is difficult to know which will be more stressful. My rabbit has special needs and suffers with terrible nerves. If he goes to the vets he shakes and loses fur then spends the rest of the day under the bed. Often he needs his fur cut off his bottom. I find doing it myself is better for him as he does not have the trauma of going to the vets. I did worry it would effect our bond but it has not so he must know I am helping him.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking, she gets stressed out by the vets mostly, maybe it will have the same outcome, she'll be less stressed out if I do, because she trust me? I always have the 'god shes going to hate me' when I take her to the vet, but she never seems to be scared of me when we get back. Its like.. part of them knows it helped them.

Maybe you should try and do it yourself? It will be easier then getting her in the carrier and needing a lift to the vets. My boyfriend used to have to give our late piggy pain relief injections. I could not do it as I have a needle phobia. It was less stress for her then taking her to the vets.

you can still wrap her in a towel , but wrap her head- this will not hurt her and actually might calm her a bit. Then lift the towel from behind until you find enough skin to make a little tent. a subcutaneous injection does not have to be in the scruff of the neck- that is just a spot with the most loose skin- any place that has enough loose skin can be injected. That is awesome that she is eating. Cats tend to not eat if they are in pain so that is a good sign :) Cats actually taste with their noses ( if that makes sense! haha ) so 10 seconds in the microwave or adding warm water will make the food smellier- therefore more appetizing to them. Just to keep in your back pocket for now. hopefully she just keeps eating for you.

Maybe you should try and do it yourself? It will be easier then getting her in the carrier and needing a lift to the vets. My boyfriend used to have to give our late piggy pain relief injections. I could not do it as I have a needle phobia. It was less stress for her then taking her to the vets.

Yeahh, I think that maybe for the first few times i'll take her vet... but then i'll try it at home. If she gets use to it I think it will be okay! like obviously she she wont like it but maybe she can get use to it enough?
Ergh me too! Until I got all these heath problems myself and needed blood test and then started my veterinary courses! I had to get use to needles pretty quickly. They still make me cringe though!

you can still wrap her in a towel , but wrap her head- this will not hurt her and actually might calm her a bit. Then lift the towel from behind until you find enough skin to make a little tent. a subcutaneous injection does not have to be in the scruff of the neck- that is just a spot with the most loose skin- any place that has enough loose skin can be injected. That is awesome that she is eating. Cats tend to not eat if they are in pain so that is a good sign :) Cats actually taste with their noses ( if that makes sense! haha ) so 10 seconds in the microwave or adding warm water will make the food smellier- therefore more appetizing to them. Just to keep in your back pocket for now. hopefully she just keeps eating for you.

Ohh! You can?! I never thought of doing it that way around! Thanks! I'm scared i'll mess it up though. I've given a few injections at work before I messed one up once and went through the other side! I'm really worried i'll keep messing up! I'm going to have to be able to do it quickly! before she has time to freak. Where did you use to inject them? Or did you only do the scruff?
Ah that's a good tip! We use to do that for a kitten I fostered that had its tail removed we use to warm up some A/D food with warm water when it wouldn't eat and get it down that way.
Thank you for all your help! Its really good to get incite from a more experience home injector!

I usually injected around the shoulders just because it easier, but if you can pinch it- and pull up the skin- just go for it. Sometimes we show clients how to do it on a towel or blanket until you feel comfortable- maybe your vet can give you a few pointers in person without bringing Bella into the vet by doing it that way.

I usually injected around the shoulders just because it easier, but if you can pinch it- and pull up the skin- just go for it. Sometimes we show clients how to do it on a towel or blanket until you feel comfortable- maybe your vet can give you a few pointers in person without bringing Bella into the vet by doing it that way.

This is a really stupid question... but she gets into this.. zoned in mode when she's making biscuits on her 'kneading' blanket, do you think it would be possible to get her into the zone and then inject her? or do they really feel it? normally when the vet injects its like they didn't even feel it! I normally give her her flea treatment when shes in that mode because she doesn't even realise until ages after. Obviously that's different as i'm not actually puncturing her neck!
Yeah I've given a few injections when I was volunteering at a vets but its different when its not in a controlled zone and someone else is holding the cat steady. Yeah I mean if shes not better after these 3 injections shes going to have to go back anyway maybe ill ask if I could inject her with his supervision :)

I don't see any harm in trying to inject her while she is in the happy feet zone. I don't think it hurts them per say, I think it is like a small sting. But depending on the medication... If you are doing convenia I think that stings a little bit.... so the meds might be a little ouchy going in... It would probably work once until she caught on haha, but maybe she's slow to the punch! Yeah I totally understand that controlled environment thing- it always changes things when it is your own pet as well. I think that it is a great idea to ask your vet to supervise :)

I don't see any harm in trying to inject her while she is in the happy feet zone. I don't think it hurts them per say, I think it is like a small sting. But depending on the medication... If you are doing convenia I think that stings a little bit.... so the meds might be a little ouchy going in... It would probably work once until she caught on haha, but maybe she's slow to the punch! Yeah I totally understand that controlled environment thing- it always changes things when it is your own pet as well. I think that it is a great idea to ask your vet to supervise :)

Haha yeah, I can always give it ago! If she freaks out i'll just hide it and pretend nothing happened lol, shes a bit of a slow poke.. it takes her ages to realise whats going on when shes zoned out. My OH once put loads of fruit on her back and she didn't even realise, oranges, bananas, apples, Yes.. hes a strange man.
Great! I think i'll talk to him (vet) about it all and see if hes okay with it! Thank you so much for all your help! Its really made me feel loads better... like a weights lifted off my shoulders! :D

I'm sorry it was awful for you both :(
How's things now?

Also, is she on a food for cat with kidney/urinary problems? As I know a cat that has that sort of food due to his kidney problems x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back