• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bepanthen & Daktarin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countrylass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Fudge has caught the fungal infection (ringworm?) somehow from the mini pigs. Can we use both Daktarin and Bepanthen on the area but several hours apart? I don't want to wash him with Nizoral as he was neutered on Monday and the stitches haven't dissolved yet. I'm going to visit Vedra on Saturday so just need to know what to do for Fudge in the meantime

Rachel WD

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Don't know about them both together sorry, but Bepanthen worked well on mine.

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
If the infection is spreading between your piggies then you do need to take more concerted measures.....

Firstly everything your infected piggies have been in contact with needs to be bleached - keep in contact with the bleach for 15 minutes then rinse throughly. Most disinfectants will not kill ringworm - they mainly concentrate on bacteria and viruses. However one which has anti-fngal activity is Tri-gene which you can buy off the web.

Secondly be extremely vigilant about secondary spread - ie transferring from one pig to another by contact with contaminated bedding, clothing, hands etc etc. Wash your hands throughly between piggies and change aprons between handling each piggie. Deal with healthy piggies first before touching infected piggies.

Keep infected piggies in a different area to healthy piggies.

I wouldn;t use benpathen atm as it moisturises which encourages the type of conditions fungi like - just use either the daktarin or canestan....or better still, surolan from your vet.

If it spreads further, or the funal lesions aren;t clearing up, You may need to consult a vet to get an oral anti-fungal - either itrafungol or griseofulvin.

http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

HTH
x

Reaction score
Cleaning with vinegar will kill bactaria too which is totally safe for piggies.Vinegar has many uses kills mould spores too.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I used Daktarin on one of my girls when she had fungal and it worked a treat. I disinfected the hutch and also scrubbed it out with hot soapy water and luckily, the infection didn't spread to my other 3 girls xx

Countrylass

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Been to see Vedra today and Fudge doesn't have ringworm (the mini pigs do though). She said the red lump was probably from where he had the injection on Monday. I guess I jumped to conclusions as Odin had exactly the same kind of blood scab and he does have ringworm. Feel relieved now I know whats what but I'm still going to give all the piggies a thorough Nizoral bath and the mini pigs will be getting two baths a week and canesten applied to their bald patches daily

Status
Not open for further replies.