• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Best daily greens

Shanj19

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What are the best daily greens to give my guinea pig?

My Finn and Lara get veggies three times a day.
I would start the morning with lettuce, not iceberg, and herbs. For herbs, I give them cilantro, parsley, dandelion, basil and etc. They get endless hay and some pellets.
For lunch, they get herbs and kale or carrot or blueberry or apple or other food they are not allowed to have daily. So, lunch menu for them is different everyday.
Dinner, they get lettuce, not iceberg, and some herbs. I fill up hay and give some pellets.

My two get some lettuce (red and/or green), herbs and bell pepper daily (I give them veg twice a day). I will then rotate in other things for variety such as spring greens, celery, broccoli stalk, cucumber, chard, rocket, spinach

My two get fresh picked grass and curly kale daily. I don’t give much in the way of fruits or other veg as I want them to be hungry for their hay.

Crikey that's a lot of veg. Lol
It used to be that they got a lot in quantity as well as three times of meals daily.
Nowadays, I reduced the quantity a bit but they still get three times of veggies a day.

My piggies love to eat. They get endless hay and some pellets, which I think I might reduce because they get so much veggies.

The more hay they eat the better :tu:

I did reduce the portions of veggies so they are getting less amount but still three times daily so they can have more hay. When they get hungry, I do see them eating hay. I feel they are definitely getting enough vitamin C daily from three meals of veggies a day though.

My piggies get 1/8 cup of pellets a day each. About a cup of veggies each. I do red or green leaf lettuce, romaine occasionally, gem or Boston. They get bell pepper several times a week. I give cilantro and basil daily. Carrots and fruit once or twice a month. Of course, unlimited hay!

My piggies get 1 meal a day at about 7:00pm. They have spring greens Monday- Friday then have kale at weekends. They also get about 2 and a half to 3 cups of pellets.
Most days I give them small amounts of carrot, apple, banana or herbs as a treat about 4:00pm
Then they have unlimited hay of course! :D

I feel a bit of a meanie hardly feeding much veg when I read other replies- I think what I’m aiming to do though is give them enough fresh greens along with a pellet portion to add enough vitamin C to the diet but not so much they are satisfying their appetite on it.
Their diet is definitely around 95% fresh grass/hay. Curly kale is a small handful each and about 3 times a week they get bell pepper. No apples, carrot, lettuce or cucumber. Poor things lol!

Oh and lots of dried herbage and occasionally dandelion leaves.

They have lettuce or spring greens and bell pepper in the morning with dandelion or herbs if I have them. I’m the evening they get similar but with a rotation of kale, carrot, cucumber and other things.

They eat a lot of hay and pellets and get grass when available

They have lettuce or spring greens and bell pepper in the morning with dandelion or herbs if I have them. I’m the evening they get similar but with a rotation of kale, carrot, cucumber and other things.

They eat a lot of hay and pellets and get grass when available
What exactly are spring greens?

They are a type of cabbage, younger, with longer leaves, and not as tough, they are dark coloured like kale. If you are in the UK they are sold as “spring greens” on the packaging in the veg section of the supermarket and are very cheap for the amount you get.

Mine get veg twice a day . 7am and 5pm. Red pepper
Green pepper
Mixed leaf lettuce or romaine
Cucumber

Carrot, kale, apple and tomatos i give twice a week

My 4 get roughly a pasta bowl per day spread through the day.
A little something with breakfast hay and pellets, a lunchtime snack and the rest late afternoon.
They have a wide variety of greens - mixed leaves, herbs, red peppers, cucumber, celery, green beans and an occasional treat of a piece of fruit

Today is what a typical day looks like for Finn and Lara.

Breakfast....lettuce and 2 kinds of herbs. Hay reloaded and some pellet.
Lunch...kale and carrot. Hay reloaded.
Dinner...will be lettuce and 2 kinds herbs. Hay and small amount of pellet.

Lunch is always different menu for so sometimes it will be fruit instead of veggies. I always check to make sure they have enough water in their water bottles.

Today is what a typical day looks like for Finn and Lara.

Breakfast....lettuce and 2 kinds of herbs. Hay reloaded and some pellet.
Lunch...kale and carrot. Hay reloaded.
Dinner...will be lettuce and 2 kinds herbs. Hay and small amount of pellet.

Lunch is always different menu for so sometimes it will be fruit instead of veggies. I always check to make sure they have enough water in their water bottles.
I always test their bottle by tapping the bearing in the spouts. Everynight. I have a little o.c.d does my nut in

They are a type of cabbage, younger, with longer leaves, and not as tough, they are dark coloured like kale. If you are in the UK they are sold as “spring greens” on the packaging in the veg section of the supermarket and are very cheap for the amount you get.
Yes I always buy it for my hens because it seems good value and nice and cheap!

Back