• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Best place to purchase outddor hutch for 2 Guineas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayemerton

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all

I only joined here this week and have already had some great advice from everyone on housing and bedding. I am waiting to get 2 male Guineas but have to organise the hutch etc and I am taking my time! There are so many places to buy that in truth I am getting totally confused! Hard to know what they are like when bought online so wondered if anyone had bought their hutch from somewhere they could recommend? They will be kept outside although can be moved inside either shed or outhouse for winter once they are cleared out of my OH tools and junk!
I quite like the ones that are on 2 levels and that have an enclosed bottom so not on cold concrete or wet grass but am open to suggestions. I would also like some advice on using a run-best to have one that can be attached to hutch or makes no difference?
Any advice would be great!
Thanks
Kathleen

I would go to zooplus.co.uk

I think it's the cheapest place I've found and there are some really big hutches. There's one really good one that I want, it is double but the bottom is open. I wish I had the money for it! They have a closed double one, but it's not huge (125cm X 45cm, so a bit narrow is all). But I guess if they had a run too then it'd be ok.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_hutches/natura/49303

I have double hutches on concrete and I find it fine. It's good for their nails and I never have to clip them. I don't put any bedding on the concrete, so I just have to sweep it every few days, it's really easy. I put all their food and water and hay downstairs so they have a reason to go downstairs. The thing I've found with double hutches is they don't have much space to run lots, but once they get used to the ramp at least they run up and down that and seem to like it. Mine have a run too and they need it really.

I think that having a run attached to the hutch is good for winter time. But if you can use it seperately in the summer too to move around the grass then that'd be good. It's need a little house in it then, but those are cheap enough really.

Good luck with getting your guinea pigs :)

I brought my hutch from ebay. It is a 6ft by 2ft and was a bargain to buy.

If you are housing your guinea pigs outdoors, try and buy a really good quality hutch as the ones made from cheap plywood are usually thin and cheap. Also make sure the hutch has bolts as added security. I added them myself to the last hutch but this hutch came with them already on.

Amazon also do a wide range of hutches.

If you are having 2 boys, boys need plenty of room so the bigger the better.

Good luck with your search :)

Thanks for that have had a quick look and there are some lovely hutches. I just was worried about the concrete being too cold and damp in the winter although I guess I would probably bring them indoors anyway in the shed. I have read about the double hutches not having enough of a "run" to them as they are deep rather than long. Do other people have just single storey then for that reason? That Trixie Natura Giant hutch is very nice though!

Hi Claire
That is the problem with buying off ebay etc as don't know how thick or how heavy duty the wood is really. Can you tell me who you bought the hutch off ebay from?

This is the hutch that I brought and from that seller too http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-6ft-Sin...all_Animals&hash=item4ce9a7a4c8#ht_3604wt_947. They also do this hutch as a 5ft version as the 6ft one is huge. I have 3 in there at the minute. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-5FT-Rab...all_Animals&hash=item4ceeaf7554#ht_4820wt_947 They do lots of other hutches as well including double deckers.

The only reason I didn't get a double decker is because my girls have always had a single story so are used to coming in and out as the please at feeding time which they couldn't do with a double decker.

I've had 2 hutches a double and a triple from ebay, one from a company who delivered it built already, and one I got flatpacked.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4ft-Triple-Br...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item2eacadd322

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-54-DOUB...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item35a8c4a92f
In my opinion they are better quality than what I've seen in P@H for similar prices.

You could try looking at the Happy Hutch company's website they are really expensive, but I do have one of theirs that came with a preloved pair of guineas and it is really good quality.

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/

Oh btw welcome to the forum, my name's Marianne and I have a hutch addiction.

Many thanks everyone, so many different types! I guess what I am wondering about is whether to get a double or just a really long single. Ooh decisions decisions!

Last edited:
Hutches

Hi
I live in Stoke On Trent and bought my cages from ebay seller alcar123.
It was a risk i admit and i just hoped they were ok,but feedback was good so i went for it.Alans cages and runs are all handmade and come assembled.
I really shopped around and wanted quality hutches to last.I bought a double 5ft cage,whopping 22 deep and 21 high.So they have extra room to run when not on the lawn with plenty of room for play tunnels etc.
I was thrilled when my cages arrived and they are fantastic hard wood quality.I would recommend Alans products and i have just ordered another single 5ft cage and 6ft x 3ft lawn run.
My double cage was £140 and will last a lifetime as its quality wood.
Check out alcar123 on ebay.He will make to measure too.
Alan lives in chester.
Thanks
Helen xx>>>

Hi Helen just had a look for him but he only has 2 rabbit runs for sale-did you email him direct or where they on ebay?
Gosh I am so confused on what to get! Single or double, with run attached or not...arghhhhh! lol

A huge single one would probably be better. They'd use the space more than with a double one. I think if you can find a run that can attach, but can detach too for the grass in the summer (if you have grass) then that'd be great. They really love grazing!

Thanks for that have had a quick look and there are some lovely hutches. I just was worried about the concrete being too cold and damp in the winter although I guess I would probably bring them indoors anyway in the shed. I have read about the double hutches not having enough of a "run" to them as they are deep rather than long. Do other people have just single storey then for that reason? That Trixie Natura Giant hutch is very nice though!

My guinea pigs only go downstairs onto the concrete to eat (which is quite a lot cos they're greedy and their hay rack is down there and all) so they don't tend to get wet really. Just their feet, but the don't get soaked like other animals seem to manage.

I do thing a big single storey one is probably better, cos they like to do laps round a big space. I just got double hutches cos they were really cheap (70 euro each, but I already had some runs too).

This is the hutch that I brought and from that seller too http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-6ft-Sin...all_Animals&hash=item4ce9a7a4c8#ht_3604wt_947. They also do this hutch as a 5ft version as the 6ft one is huge. I have 3 in there at the minute. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-5FT-Rab...all_Animals&hash=item4ceeaf7554#ht_4820wt_947 They do lots of other hutches as well including double deckers.

Hi Claire so are you happy with the quality of the hutch you have bought from this ebayer? Some of her feedback was negative for various things but she is in Essex so could collect to save postage. I quite like the 5ft hutch and having just measured it I have realised that is massive so your 6ft one muct be a palace! :))

Yes, I am very happy with it and so are the pigs. It was delievered with in 3 days. My hubby put the hutch together as it came flat packed and he said it was easy enough to do.

I noticed the negative feedback too but then, all the sellers have negative feedback. I came to the conclusion that she has thousands of positive feedback compared to the negative.

Hi Claire so are you happy with the quality of the hutch you have bought from this ebayer? Some of her feedback was negative for various things but she is in Essex so could collect to save postage. I quite like the 5ft hutch and having just measured it I have realised that is massive so your 6ft one muct be a palace! :))

I have a hutch from her too and am very happy with it :)

Hi

I have a 2 tier 6ft hutch from this seller and I am very happy with it, the quality of it is so much better than my old hutch with I got from P @ H

here's a photo of it - it was supposed to be for my 4 piggies but they didnt get on so they are in 2 pairs and I got rid of the ramp and converted it into a top hutch and a bottom hutch

IMG_0663.jpg

That looks brilliant, what a lovely hutch. Ok may well invest then from that seller. Only annoying thing is that i have emailed her twice now and no reply as wanted to know whether i could collect as she is not too far from me. That does annoy me when they ignore messages! But if the hutch is worth it.... ooh the dilemma!
The other thing i was thinking is that some people house them inside sheds from day one and therefore have open hand built hutches with no hidden sleeping bit. I would still want to get them a pigloo of sorts so they can hide if they want to but i do like the idea of being able to see them rather than them scurry off everytime you walk by them. I have been told it helps them get used to people too-any ideas on that? I have been reccommended Pet Properties who is local to me and hand builds hutches.
Gosh who would have thought that just getting a hutch would be such hard work!
Thanks for all your feedback :)

Here's my one...I use it for my bunnies, but it would equally as good for piggies :)

4452156634_14733d3b70.jpg

I have a cover as my shed leaks LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back