• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Best shampoo for regular use ?

Veggies Galore

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boar Dexy is probably 4 years old now . He's not very active - except for during veggie and grass time. His favourite hobby is napping in his favourite hidey .

He's always needed a bit of attetion to his boar bits - but recently , his bum and underbelly are staiined with urine.

I've had a read of these excellant threads.

Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

I use vetbed under his hidey .

My main question is, if I need to give him reguar bum(lowerbody) baths - what's the best shampoo ?

johnsons insecticidle shampoo,gorgeous guinea boar shampoo,johnsons small animal shampoo from PAH,or Jollys.these are all the ones i use on my boars.

johnsons insecticidle shampoo,gorgeous guinea boar shampoo,johnsons small animal shampoo from PAH,or Jollys.these are all the ones i use on my boars.
can these all be used regularly Eileen ? - the Gorgeous Guineas website suggests every 4 -6 weeks :hmm:

yes i use them regularly on my messy boars,Matthew in particular.the gorgeous guineas shampoo are very mild,one has no aromthearpy oils in.i believe if you are not bathing the whole piggie every day you should be fine.

Jezzy floof also seems to have reached the age of forgetting she has a saggy tummy and undercarriage to clean, she is age at least 5 and a rather urine stained fine but long haired mostly white (now mostly yellow!) Aby floofy cross- she likes Gorgeous Guineas posh'n'go shampoo, very gentle on pee-irritated elderly skin and doesnt need much rinsing so good for a fuss free regular bum bath :)
We are now on weekly baths with Jezzy but possibly that should be twice weekly, even with daily pee pad changes!

Jezzy floof also seems to have reached the age of forgetting she has a saggy tummy and undercarriage to clean, she is age at least 5 and a rather urine stained fine but long haired mostly white (now mostly yellow!) Aby floofy cross- she likes Gorgeous Guineas posh'n'go shampoo, very gentle on pee-irritated elderly skin and doesnt need much rinsing so good for a fuss free regular bum bath :)
We are now on weekly baths with Jezzy but possibly that should be twice weekly, even with daily pee pad changes!
thank you for the advice - I think Dexy is in a similar position - sagggy tummy and undercarriage ... and he's definately "fuel efficient" with his mobility :D

Back