• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Best way to give Avipro Plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodapops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone know the best way to give Avipro Plus? The vet told me to put some water in a dish and put a pinch of it in the water - however JJ and her daughter Summer don't really drink a lot of water (and have certainly never had it out of a bowl) - so i don't think i'm going to be able to monitor whether or not she's having it.

Thanks in advance :)

You need to make it into a solution and syringe it down the pig, if you put it in their water you never know how much they've had ;) Did the vet give you a 1pm syringe?

Thanks for the quick reply Sophie

Yes ive got a 1ml syringe - you know i asked them if i could just put the Avipro into the water and syringe it to her - but they said no @)

I would have thought syringing it to her was best because then i know exactly how much she's getting

i was lucky my pigs loved it, i couldnt get it down them quick enough, and my boy who never drank water even took it from the bottle when i put avipro plus in it.

The problem i have is that Summer is the one always at the water bottle - so i'm thinking she'd digest more of it than JJ (who is the intended patient).

Would you give the Avipro immediately after the Baytril - or give it an hour or so?

The vet told me to use just a small pinch of Avipro once a day - they were very specific in telling me not to use more than that amount :)

Alternatively, you can sprinkle it on a bit of cucumber. I did that with a difficult piggy who would fight the syringe. However, it is better to syringe the solution if you can.

Reactions: Moo
Ive just given her the Baytril followed by a syringe of water/Avipro - she fought it all the way :))

So do i just give the Avipro once a day - or can she have more? I don't want to overdo it - but i'd like her to get enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back