1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Betta Fish

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Tiny, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

@3Tyger Shhh... don't let Marble and Willow know my affection/labour will be split in another direction :))

3Tyger likes this.
  2. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

Sid? Um yeah, I quite like Finn... but firstly because of the Adventure Time and Star Wars characters who are both fearless and BOSS, but I think the fishy fin connection makes it more sucky, like what a 5 year old would choose (no offence to kids!).

3Tyger likes this.
  3. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

My lips are sealed! :nod:
    Although...

I wonder if Marble and Willow would like to own THEIR OWN PET BETTA! :yahoo:

Who exists purely for them...
    Their very own private aquarium...

Which YOU WILL NEED TO SLAVE OVER FOR THEM!
    As difficult and dreary as you will find it, of course... :lose:

Tiny likes this.
  4. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

Well, I told one of my friends that Willow fancied a swimming pool, then realised she doesn't like water, so decided she'd have her own pet :))

Marble is far more conservative - the swimming/water idea is a no-no as she has a kerayzee frizz to maintain :))

3Tyger likes this.
  5. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

Well... Sid liked his name... at feeding time... hopefully... XD

I hear you about Finn. Dump the Finn, add the Fire... :))

6. helloitsbecca

helloitsbecca Junior Guinea Pig

So desperate for a betta fish...... but no room for a tank because I've decided to extend the boys cage. Piggy owner problems :lol!:

Tiny and 3Tyger like this.
  7. GPTV

GPTV Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

@3Tyger ahh my first ever fish was called Sid he was a male guppy with fabulous firey orange speckled tail fins :luv: I hid behind the sofa &cried for ages when he died :(
    Ok I was only about 5 at the time, I can still picture him now :wub:

When I got my last velvet cichlid (Oscar)&he was going into a tank I hadn't used for months I actually got a couple of buckets of water from his tank in the aquatics shop I got him from. To boost the bacteria he was used to &cycle the tank quicker. I also used tetra's "safe start" (I think that was it) it was to improve the bacteria levels &condition the water.

You could always call the new handsome man huckleberry (Finn)
    From the mark twain book lol!

I had a gorgeous betta a real deep red with long flowing fins, unfortunately he had sleeping sickness which is apparently a ailment betta's are prone to.

3Tyger likes this.
  8. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

@GPTV Yes, getting some 'media' from a stable matured tank is a good way to set up a tank, and when I previously kept fish that made it a doddle to set up additional ones. But I don't think many commercial fish stores do that (possibly because of potential liability if it fails?), you might've been lucky! Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a mature tank otherwise I would be asking for a some rocks, water or a filter to help things along.

I know of Tetra Safe Start, I have something similar, Fluval Cycle (they're both basically 'biological enhancers') plus a few Marimo moss balls (so there's something organic to help the bacterial cycle).

Basically, I'll wait as long as it takes - there's no rushing fishkeeping (and it's very risky), plus my little guy is being well looked after until then :)

GPTV likes this.
  9. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

Sadly though, I got my Sid's name from an advert!

Because when British Gas was being sold off we had the adverts telling us to "Tell Sid" (oh the power of advertising!)

(And i'm showing my age here :fog: but i'm sure somebody else here might be ancient enough to remember those ads too...)
    :oops: (Maybe not - oh well! )

But anyway; so i had my new fishy boy and he needed a name. For some reason that advert popped into my head, and there you have it - the sad and true story of how my Siamese Fighter was robbed of an epic name :D

And i did indeed "Tell Sid" things. He knew some SECRETS of mine.
    But he was a real gentleman.
    He never told a Sole...
    :lol!:

Tiny and GPTV like this.
  10. GPTV

GPTV Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

not the advert- ahh Sidney you make a lovely cup of tea :nod:
    With the tetley tea bag men then?
    I'm showing my age now lol... &yep I remember the British gas ads you mean.

@Tiny I just asked the aquatics shop if they would fill a couple of buckets for me from his tank.
    I had already reserved him so they were happy to supply the water.
    He was a crabby sod so they were probably glad to get rid of him quicker -he bullied all his tank mates. I fell in love from day 1 tho. :luv: so full of character! Xx

Tiny and 3Tyger like this.
  11. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

@GPTV Hmm, I might ask them, thanks for the tip, though I'll be travelling by train, not sure how it'd work hoiking gallons of water back :)) But I could always ask for some gravel :)

GPTV likes this.
  12. GPTV

GPTV Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

Lol! gravel would be even heavier! not as sloppy though! take a rucksack & about 3 empty water/old rinsed out pepsi bottles with lids 2 litre sized if you can manage to carry them? Its approx 1kg of weight per litre of water. if you cant carry that much just try 2 bottles with some filter sponges squeezed/filter tank water into the bottle for added media.

i wouldn't get plants or gravel from the tank though as it may contain aquatic snail eggs & you'll be rife with those, not sure how your intended snail & shrimps would be with the added extras? would they add diseases the intended snail may catch?
    also if the extras were to die off you'll have a protein overload in the water making it poor quality. xx

Here's my Chester (not an awe inspiring name) :hug::luv:
    But rather handsome in his own grumpy way me thinks :whistle:
    not sure how old he was but i had him about 7yrs - this was taken in his younger days. :D
    Rather larger than a Betta he's a Tiger Oscar (Velvet Cichlid)
    CIMG4466.JPG

#32 GPTV, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:40 PM
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    VickiA, 3Tyger and Tiny like this.
  13. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

Chester is gorgeous, I love him :luv:

GPTV likes this.
  14. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

Say hello to Merlin! He's not the original fish I reserved (that one has suspected fin rot so has been quarantined and removed from sale :( ).

Merlin is an elephant ear placket Betta, he has no fewer than FOUR colours going on, red and blue head and body with red, white, blue and green fins :D

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

15. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

Hello magical Merlin, you're a very handsome fella :wub:

I love how the colours blend together, a very lovely effect.

A very nice set-up, i could watch that tank for hours!

Congratulations on the arrival of your new pet! :luv:

Tiny likes this.
  16. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

:oops: I mean... congratulations to Marble & Willow on the arrival of THEIR new pet... I trust they are happy with him and your extra burden which you must slave over for them?

Tiny likes this.
  17. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

I suspect Willow would just like to jump in and have a swim! The tank is opposite their cage, so as I've been hovering there, Willow has been whining expectantly!

The tank's a Fluval Chi, doesn't have a background as yet (I'm going to make one, they're just ridiculously expensive to buy for what they are - a laminated picture!) but it's a really nice looking tank with the central filter creating a little waterfall on top. Crucially, the filter flow's not too strong for a Betta. He has four Nerite snails in there at the mo, but one or two will be rehomed (they just accelerated the biological filter set up and keeping four long term might be pushing the bioload).

3Tyger likes this.
  18. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

19. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

I really like the moss balls (if that's what they're called) :lol!:

And no point wasting your creative streak by buying a laminated picture, i've always thought they were a waste of money! I bet your own artwork will complement Merlin far better :nod:

And oh Willow, you fearless young piggie - i'm SO glad you have the sensible Marble to talk you out of your adventurous ideas. I dread to wonder how many more vet trips would be required if the marvellous Marble were not there to talk you out of mischief...
    :bronco::lol!:

Tiny likes this.
  20. zombieprincess

zombieprincess Adult Guinea Pig

Shame about the other fishy, I hope he's OK :( However Merlin in soooo beautiful !

Tiny likes this.