• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Betta Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, I'm a snail lover! I'll champion them :P :P

I wish i could like them but they remind me so much of slugs! I really can't stand slugs. I have quite a few phobias I need to get over - have got over some but not made any progress in the slug department yet...

Aaaaand... the last guys in, three African Dwarf Frogs!

Frogs on the other hand, i absolutely LOVE them! :wub::wub::wub: :luv:

The frogs don't have names yet, as I can't actually tell them apart just yet! One of the three is a slightly lighter olive colour, but I've just let them acclimatise mostly with the tank light off, just checking occasionally to ensure no one's attacking/getting attacked/squirmed into a tight spot they can't get out of (common for both loaches and frogs!).

The reception to the frogs has been fine - Merlin's had a look, and even had a sit down in the floor and a frog brushed past him and he didn't flinch. I'm not sure Merlin knows he's a fearless boss Betta, he's so chilled! I need to rearrange the tank furniture as I'd like to create some platforms for the frogs to rest on (they need access to the surface and any 'resting' spot on their ascent is always good!).

I have decided on the name Dylan for the Rabbit Snail - it means something like 'sea dweller/creature' in celtic, plus that was the rabbit in The Magic Roundabout :)

I used to have some aquatic frogs too ;) they were fun to watch!

Actually... now that I think of it, I kinda miss having them around. But I do not miss cleaning the tank!

Enjoy your froggies! I had a green one (probably color dyed...) called Wasabi who got pretty big. The other ones were all brown so they didn't really have names.

@WafflesCupcakes Yes, aquatic frogs are fascinating, aren't they?!

I feel sorry for them as, well, there's no nice way to say this, they're kinda... dumb looking. Like, their default face is 'Ihavenoidea'; they can't help it though, bless ;)

Also, they're quite short-sighted so in a community tank they need hand feeding as the fish will generally get to the food first. So there's that 'aw' factor as they're a bit special needs :love:

I can't tell mine apart yet, except for the one being ever so slightly olive-y brown and the other two more brown-brown :)). Frogs aren't too difficult to sex but they're too small at the mo, so I may wait until I can give them appropriately-gendered names.

Merlin did flare at one earlier (first time I've seen him flare in this tank!) so I kept an anxious watch, but he had his little flare then swam off. Think it helps that everything in the tank is so different that everyone has a nosey but no one feels directly threatened. I don't think the frog was even aware of Merlin, just sat there gormlessly :))

Oh yes, Aquatic frogs are stupid looking XD but it just adds to their charm. They are easy to sex actually, I remember having 2 girls and 2 boys.

Beta fish are also a joy to watch. I've kept a number of them. My favorite was a blue and red half moon tail called Galaxy. He was a beauty. I also had a huge purple/red rose tail named Huckleberry. Right now I only have one I rescued from a Walmart. I always feel bad for them there. So I always end up with how ever many there are there XD
The one i have currently is just a blue and yellow veil tail. I just call him Dory because he's blue and yellow. He's kinda anorxic, he never eats... but he must be doing fine because he's been with me for 5 months.

Oh Tiny!

My son is now asking for a pet fish!, I blame you :wub: but for the moment I am saying "no". Those frogs are pretty cool! I never thought you could have frogs other than the ones that live in ponds or vivariums.

Oh and I got the Bowie reference, with Ziggy, Weird and Gilly ;)

Since this thread the song has been stuck in my head!

So I'm going to inflict it back with some pasted lyrics ;) And as this is a family friendly forum, I have censored two not so suitable words.

Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly
And the spiders from Mars. He played it left hand
But made it too far
Became the special man, then we were Ziggy's band

Now Ziggy really sang, screwed up eyes and screwed down hairdo
Like some cat from Japan, he could lick 'them by smiling
He could leave 'them to hang
'Came on so loaded man, well hung and snow white tan

So where were the spiders, while the fly tried to break our balls
With just the beer light to guide us
So we b*****d about his fans and should we crush his sweet hands?

Ziggy played for time, jiving us that we were voodoo
The kid was just crass, he was the nazz
With God given a**
He took it all too far but boy could he play guitar

Making love with his ego Ziggy sucked up into his mind
Like a leper messiah
When the kids had killed the man I had to break up the band

Ziggy played guitar

Oh Tiny!

My son is now asking for a pet fish!, I blame you :wub: but for the moment I am saying "no". Those frogs are pretty cool! I never thought you could have frogs other than the ones that live in ponds or vivariums.

Oh and I got the Bowie reference, with Ziggy, Weird and Gilly ;)

I don't think your son will have to push much harder to get a fish tank, you know you want 1 really... :nod:

And aside from a few songs I weren't that into Bowie. I preferred heavy metal really. I just love noise!
:lol!:

My fish tank was 6ft x 3ft but the giraffe cat was still to big. In a smaller tank we had an electric blue lobster he lived through his first shed but died during his second. He was a beauty.

Still can't confidently tell the difference between the three frogs! One has a light spot on his nose and the other two have more clearly defined stripes where their back skin meets their underbelly, but the differences are so slight that it can depend on the light to be honest. It doesn't help that their bodies, limbs and feet are nigh on identical!

I do like the names Bolt, Zola, Bram, Jason, Hermes, Icarus, Dax, Kip, Joss, Giles, Quill, Dante...

Adventures of the unnamed three :))

"Hey guys, want to play hide and seek?"
IMG_0491.JPG

"Who said that?"
IMG_0481.JPG

"Hee hee, this is an ace hiding spot, even Merlin can't find me!"
IMG_0493.JPG

"Where is he? We've looked everywhere! He's ace at this!"
IMG_0488.JPG

I loved having fish. We had tropicals and then goldfish. But I got rid of all my tanks except the largest which now has a terrapin in it. If I put fish in with him he'd think it was dinner time!

This is himIMAG0095.jpg

Wow that fish is beautiful. Love the frogs too, so cute :)
I love fish and had many when I was younger, My favourite are the blackmore fish (do you get them over in the UK) and I also like the ones with weird patterns and spots and colour's on them.

Aw! What's his name? :)
Hector. We think he's about 30 but no one really knows because my ex father in law took him in after they arrested the owner and found him on a window sill. He took him home and I always promised if they both died that I would take Hector in. He's been with me a couple of years now. Apparently terrapins can live a long time. He's a red earred Slider which are now illegal to buy because so many got dumped after the ninja turtle craze. Hector red ears are now starting to fade with age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back