Biology Next Week - What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
3,752
Reaction score
105
Points
570
Location
Coventry
Next week in Biology, she is bringing in some lungs and going to chop them up and inflate them e.t.c. I don't really want to go to it but cos I am doing biology I feel as though I should. What would you do?
 

alisont

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
3,309
Reaction score
220
Points
605
Location
West Midlands
Tricky one that - there are videos of this I'm sure. Personally i avoided anything like this whilst at school due to my beliefs but then I'm vegan and involved in animal rights. I got detention at school for refusing to go into the class due to the fact i spent the lesson posting animal rights posters round school!

If you can stomach it and its important to the course then join the class, but might be worth asking if the teacher/tutors got a video of the demo instead?

Hope you get on ok!

Alison :)
 
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
1,231
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Glasgow
I couldn't do anything like that. I thought they had stopped cutting things like that up. Maybe that's just in schools.
 
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
2,489
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Location
North Yorkshire
lolseh said:
I couldn't do anything like that. I thought they had stopped cutting things like that up. Maybe that's just in schools.

I think they stopped doing the whole thing where they have live animals (like frogs) and the students have to take them apart.

But they still train on real bodyparts. For example, on university if you want to become a doctor, they often show you how eyes work with cows eyes that you have to "dissemble".
 

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
0
Points
380
When I was at school we had to dissect a locust, earthworm and a rat :o Looking back it was horrid, and I really don't know what I learnt from it.

As a student nurse we could opt out of anything that was against our beliefs eg abortions or too gruesome like post mortems, so I don't see why this is any different. As trained nurses however we couldn't.

I think it depends on what your course is, and how relevant this is to your learning - unfortunately the only way you learn sometimes is to do it 'live' as it were, eg student drs practice on dead bodies, and I would 'guess' that vets practice on dead animals. So by seeing how lungs inflate I can see the relevance to Biology but feel if you feel strongly enough there should be an opt out option. Also, I would guess the lungs came from animals that were for the meat market, so again, depends on your beliefs, they haven't been killed for their lungs but if you're vegetarian that would be against your beliefs.
 

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
19,547
Reaction score
5
Points
875
Location
West Cornwall
I would give my right arm to go to dissections and post-mortems. I have been in theatre many times and absolutely loved it.

I know you are different to me though - wish I could go for you!
 
C

cavykind

squeakypigs said:
Next week in Biology, she is bringing in some lungs and going to chop them up and inflate them e.t.c. I don't really want to go to it but cos I am doing biology I feel as though I should. What would you do?

Are you talking about the moral or squeamish issue?

Barbara
 

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
0
Points
380
Lucinda said:
I would give my right arm to go to dissections and post-mortems. I have been in theatre many times and absolutely loved it.

I know you are different to me though - wish I could go for you!

Ewww no thanks, I had the opportunity to go to a post mortem and declined. It turned out to be a young lad killed in a motor bike accident so I was so glad I hadn't gone, I'd have found it too upsetting. Also, I thought that one day someone I love might need a PM and so didn't want to see what went on.

Plus the fact when I did my theatre placement I passed out twice ;D ;D
 

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
19,547
Reaction score
5
Points
875
Location
West Cornwall
I love theatre especially lower GI (bowel) surgery.I wanted to be a Dr but was turned down to do medicine. The problem was I only realised I had the confidence to do it when I was in my 20s. Now, having been turned down I realise I don't want the nomadic lifestyle that it involves up into my early middle age. Had I done medicine I would have specialised in either Pathology or Gastro. I feel very sad that I will not fulfil my dream (I know I am bright enough), but I don't want to be moving from one hosp to another and competing with people ten years younger than me for registrar positions. I work with 55 + anaesthetists and have seen the strain it puts on them, moving all the time, unable to put down roots until offered a consultant position.

Instead I am applying this year to do nursing. They run the Diploma/ degree course in Truro so I can move home to Cornwall. I would like to be a theatre sister or possibly work in endoscopy/ stoma and colo-rectal care.
 

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
0
Points
380
Lucinda said:
I love theatre especially lower GI (bowel) surgery.I wanted to be a Dr but was turned down to do medicine. The problem was I only realised I had the confidence to do it when I was in my 20s. Now, having been turned down I realise I don't want the nomadic lifestyle that it involves up into my early middle age. Had I done medicine I would have specialised in either Pathology or Gastro. I feel very sad that I will not fulfil my dream (I know I am bright enough), but I don't want to be moving from one hosp to another and competing with people ten years younger than me for registrar positions. I work with 55 + anaesthetists and have seen the strain it puts on them, moving all the time, unable to put down roots until offered a consultant position.

Instead I am applying this year to do nursing. They run the Diploma/ degree course in Truro so I can move home to Cornwall. I would like to be a theatre sister or possibly work in endoscopy/ stoma and colo-rectal care.

Good luck :) I hurt my back nursing so had to leave, had I stayed I would have loved to have specialised in burns and plastics, I loved the burns unit as you worked with both men, women and children, and it was total patient care from life threatening injuries, theatre, recovery and after care. Other than that I loved health visiting too.
 

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
382
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Gloucestershire
oooh lucinda i'm glad someone is like me!

did you watch those programmes on the TV - that wierd German man with the hat who cuts up dead people? I loved it. I wish I'd become a doctor too. But I did German and Italian at uni instead, silly me :D

i'm always watching operations on the tv.

what kind of lungs are we talking about in the biology class? human or animal?
 
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
4,396
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I went to see the exhibition it was absolutely amazing! Can't think of his name :-\ but I have the book upstairs will dig it out :)
sarahp said:
did you watch those programmes on the TV - that wierd German man with the hat who cuts up dead people?
 
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
922
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Location
Yorkshire Uk
I took my secondary school to task on this type of thing myself when I was at school. The teacher made me stay in so I climbed out of the window in protest ;D. I was such a swat I was 100% not in trouble and the head was mad with the teacher for disrespecting my right as a vegetarian to refuse to participate in a lesson which was only possible because a pig had been slaughtered ;).

Its your decision and I imagine it would be interesting to see but I couldnt bare the blood and guts myself... I would probably cry (I cried when Adam ordered duck from the chinese... :() why cant they use a model? I mean, I assume it wont be pigs because if there are any muslims that is highly offensive, shame they dont show us veggies the same respect/consideration!

Have you spoken to your tutor about it at all? If its an essential part of your course/learning its really not fair!
 

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
19,547
Reaction score
5
Points
875
Location
West Cornwall
Gunther van Hagen is the TV pathologist. I videoed all his shows and often watch them while I eat my dinner as they are just the right length. :)

I would prefer an ordinary PM as his are done for show in a theatrical kind of way. Ordinary PMs are just as interesting, discovering the cause of death.
 
M

maxthepig

They did a heart dissection class on my biology module at uni :( At the request at some of the students :o

They gave you the choice whether to go or not so i didnt. Its not a squeamish issue, but a moral one for me.
 
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
4,396
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Lucinda said:
Gunther van Hagen is the TV pathologist. I videoed all his shows and often watch them while I eat my dinner as they are just the right length. :)

I would prefer an ordinary PM as his are done for show in a theatrical kind of way. Ordinary PMs are just as interesting, discovering the cause of death.

That was his name :) If you are a fan Lucinda would you like me to send you the book I got at the Bodyworlds exhibition?
 
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
4,396
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Great! PM me your address and i'll send it to you :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top