• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bite wound help

P&M5

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
I have two sows pearl and Mabel. They get on pretty well normally but about a week ago Mabel bit pearl on the back (I have solved the fighting issue, it was due to only having one door in their hidey). I bathed the wound and left it to heal but pearl keep scratching and biting at it knocking the scab off. After look on here for some advice I got a Tube bandage and This has helped, the wound has scanned over. However my issue is, pearl does not like it and keeps pulling it off. Whenever I see her take it off I try to persist and put it back on as I know it will help her in the long run. But through the night and while I’m not in the house I’m concerned she will pull it off and scratch the scab off opening the wound again. Does any one have any tips to help please?
Thanks in advance

I've never heard of bandaging piggies, it sounds quite stressful, did a vet recommend that? I think a vet trip should definitely be the first thing, piggy wounds even quite bad ones are usually left uncovered... a vet could prescribe pain relief so she leaves the wound alone, plus antibiotics in case of infection... we had a piggy with a supposedly healed bite wound that turned into a big abscess a couple of weeks later, even with antibiotics and vet care- you cant be too careful, especially if the wound is bothering her!

I've never heard of bandaging piggies, it sounds quite stressful, did a vet recommend that? I think a vet trip should definitely be the first thing, piggy wounds even quite bad ones are usually left uncovered... a vet could prescribe pain relief so she leaves the wound alone, plus antibiotics in case of infection... we had a piggy with a supposedly healed bite wound that turned into a big abscess a couple of weeks later, even with antibiotics and vet care- you cant be too careful, especially if the wound is bothering her!
Thanks for the reply :) the bandage was advice I read on here and a few other piggie forums, I tried it out because I’m not able to get her to a vet for a few more days and I didn’t want it to get worse. It looks like it is healing well in the couple of days she’s had it on, I just wondered if there was any more advice out there to help?

I would only bandage on a vets advice. Is there any reason why you have waited over a week to get her to a vets?

Hi
I have two sows pearl and Mabel. They get on pretty well normally but about a week ago Mabel bit pearl on the back (I have solved the fighting issue, it was due to only having one door in their hidey). I bathed the wound and left it to heal but pearl keep scratching and biting at it knocking the scab off. After look on here for some advice I got a Tube bandage and This has helped, the wound has scanned over. However my issue is, pearl does not like it and keeps pulling it off. Whenever I see her take it off I try to persist and put it back on as I know it will help her in the long run. But through the night and while I’m not in the house I’m concerned she will pull it off and scratch the scab off opening the wound again. Does any one have any tips to help please?
Thanks in advance

Hi!

Have you had the wound vet checked for mange mites or a developing abscess if there has been in fact a deep bite? Biting open very sore and irritated skin or a hurting deep wound is typical for either. Mange mites can be brought on by a stressful situation and guinea pigs always have gunk in their mouths. Many 'bite' wounds are actually self-inflicted and not necessarily caused by a fight.

Piggies do generally not like bandaging and are very good at pulling it off or wiggling out.

And are you sure it is an injury inflicted by a companion? If so I’d be suspecting it to be an abscess if not healed in over a week. If she’s biting at and scratching it that would indicate she is in discomfort. Either way it requires veterinary attention.

Please could you point me to the posts on here that indicated that use of a tube bandage was a good idea as I would suspect that they may be out of date.

Back