• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Biting people!

CuteCavies2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am working with a guinea pig who is a class pet and tends to bite people when they come nearby. I believe it is because kids poke their fingers in the cage and are always bugging him. Does anyone have a suggestion to help this? Either with helping him adjust to people or helping the kids not bug him? I can move the cage to a different spot and I have put up a sign asking that the kids dont put their hands in the cage.

He needs to be left alone and perhaps put in an area where the children can’t get to him. All contact should be supervised and the children taught how to gently stroke. Having said that, he may never enjoy being handled or stroked and that’s okay. They are prey animals and the way they’re portrayed as cuddly pets is incorrect.

The best thing that can actually be done for him, above all else (including proper vet care of course) is to get him a friend. Guinea pigs are extremely social and need constant companionship from their own kind. It’s pretty cruel to keep him by himself.

If he isn’t by himself then you can ignore that last comment. Is it possible for him to be rehomed And not be a ‘school pet’? Does he spend the weekend at the school?

:agr:class pets are fun but it can be very stressful for a piggie. Especially a loud classroom where the piggie can never be alone. If you are taking piggie home on the weekends, that is very stressful. I would recommend moving piggie to your home permanently and get him a buddy.

:agr: Guinea pigs really are not suitable to be in a classroom for so many reasons, high stress environments can cause then to health issues, they really need a permanent, large and stable environment and always living with another guinea pig

Hi!

Sadly guinea pigs don't make suitable classroom pets. They are group animals that should not be kept on their own. They should also not be standing anywhere where kids can have unsupervised contact with him.
Here is what the RSPCA have to say on this welfare aspect and what alternatives to classroom pets they recommend in order to promote kindness to animals and create animal friendly schools (pdf document): https://education.rspca.org.uk/documents/1494931/0/Animal+Friendly+Schools+Guidance+(5).pdf/c7c5fe97-e5a6-fa47-6205-8d22d45cf7c2?t=1558518337650

Please take the time to read up on these guides here to understand more where your little guy is coming from:
Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview
Companionship

Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

Children And Guinea Pigs - Age Appropriate Interaction And Responsibilities.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Thank you so much for all this great info! I will talk to the teacher about getting him a buddy, I have been wanting to anyway. However I am not sure about moving him out of the school. I do think I can get him a nicer spot out of students way though! I will also ask about teaching the kids how to pet him. I will also check out the links Wiebke! Thanks everyone!

Back